McCarty Korina vs Mahogany/Maple

I gotta say I like the Whale Blue a helluva lot more than Faded Whale Blue.

Nice score... hope it plays as good as it looks :)

I was tracking that guitar. It's a real beauty. And, contrary to what others with a malfunctioning color sense may say, blue guitars do sound better.
I have a guitar playing friend (term used loosely) who detests blue guitars.

I hadn’t encountered this dislike ever before!

Each to her/his own, Que Sera and “all that jazz”. I’m a great believer in what will be will be and being tolerant of others opinions!

Life’s too short to fall out over such things as stainless steel frets and nitro lacquer! If you like it. It feels great to play and sounds awesome, it could have a “hello kitty” logo on it for all I care!

Wanted to insert the video of Justin Johnson playing the shovel guitar, but it advertises another maker and so didn’t think this was suitable for forum.

Believe me he rocks “Ace of Spades” ♠️

Ok we tease @sergiodeblanc for his dislike of blue guitars, but as I’ve said we all like what we do!

I think most don't really care but simply have their own personal preferences. I have blue eyes so blue is a go for me, but most any other nontraditional color wouldn't do for me the same way blue might not cut it for others. No worries: more blue for me, more other stuff for them. (He says as if he hoarded blue guitars, which he only wishes he could do.)

For me it boils down to the individual guitar. It's not just color but how the wood takes the color. Maple is notorious for never taking a stain the same way twice, you never know exactly how it's going to turn out until it's done. The OPs guitar is probably one of the nicest blue tops I've seen and I'm not crazy about blue tops in general. Not because I hate blue, but because I like other colors better. Faded Whale Blue is one of my least favorite colors but more because of the way the wood takes that color than the color itself.

I like deep vibrant colors and this blue ticks that box for me. My 594 is green and I can't say I'm in love with most of the green ones I've seen either. I bought it because the green was striking, it's the "greenest" green top I've ever seen and the whole package was stunning. Color is tone just like music and it either resonates with you or doesn't. Opinions are kind of the same way, they either resonate with your own or don't. There's no fault either way, it's all just part of the song :)

Nice axe. Whale blue is a very variable color, and that one's very pretty indeed. My only blue PRS is CE22 in Royal Blue. Some of the PRS greens can be a little odd, but the Emerald really speaks to me and I wouldn't mind having one eventually. I mostly buy guitars for feel rather than color, but core PRSs nearly always feel good to me.

I have two McCartys, one korina/Brazilian and another with 57/08s. Each one great in its own way. The 57/08s are among my very favorite humbuckers; they have this cool 3D thing happening and a vintage sepiatone vibe that just makes you want to drink whisky and play the blues all night. But the korina is super lively, beautiful (Vintage Cherry) and really amazing sounding in its own right. I agree korina has a certain agressiveness that gets rude when you push it- quite different from the smoother, more sophisticated character of mahog/maple. I love the feel and sound of korina guitars; have a bunch of 'em but only one is a PRS.

Just purchased a McCarty SC 594 wood library with Korina back and Neck and Brazilian RW fingerboard. Had to buy it online and should arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing the Korina!

Korina is a really cool wood. My SE One is Korina and so is my Mira. Looking forward to hearing how you like the 594.

Just purchased a McCarty SC 594 wood library with Korina back and Neck and Brazilian RW fingerboard. Had to buy it online and should arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing the Korina!

Looking forward to your thoughts! I have a similar one.... same formula :). it’s a beast! Congrats!

Back