McCarty II - thoughts? Value?

Sillyak

There is a McCarty II avalaliable at a local shop near me in excellent (pretty much "as new" as far as I can see) condition for what I think is a good price. It works out to about $1450 USD.

I can't find too much pricing info on these models as it looks like they didn't make them for very long and looking back on old forum posts they weren't recieved very well. Is it just a normal McCarty with the addition on the active circuit? Does the addition of an active circuit really kill value, as normal McCartys I see for sale are usually a fair amount more than this one. Did these have normal McCarty pick ups?

I didn't plug it in, just a quick noodle because I was short on time. Been thinking about it all afternoon though. It looked so nice.

McCarty’s kinda go for $1200-1500 anyway, so for a shop I think that’s pretty reasonable.

It’ll still have McCarty pickups I believe, and you could always take the preamp out and use the toggle for something else, and stash some drugs or a spare house key in the battery compartment.

The MC II came with 245 pups as well as an active circuit called Mastering Voice Control (MVC) which powered by a 9 volt batt. and can be activated by switching on a mini toggle - something borrowed from Santana MD.

With the MVC toggle on, the circuit varies the sound of the MC II from single coil to mid-scoop metal just by rolling the tone knob. BTW this trades off the push-pull tone pot of the first gen MC.

The MC II was in the production line only for a few year and in my thought it was not popular - think about a core PRS with active circuit inside.

If I were you I would look for an original McCarty instead. It can be found used in the similarly low price and is also much easier to find one.

Last edited:
I thought the active circuit was a good idea, and wondered what folks’ problem was with it. Sounded really nice.

I’d at least go back and plug it in to see if I liked it.

Back