McCarty Hollowbody II - tell me what to look forward to

Furtive

Knight of Bangin'ess
Looks like my contract at work is going on longer than anticipated, which means.... :)

Found a much loved `99 on the bay at a price that won't leave me eating Ramen. I think I've only picked up a PRS hollowbody once. ALWAYS wanted one of these but they tend to be spendy. I have the S2 CU22SH, but I consider canoe cuts to be a different animal.

20 years ago I had to sell a 68 ES-345, and this is my first serious hollow electric purchase since then. Can anyone tell me what to anticipate with a `99 HBII? Weight? Tones? Balance? I'm already thinking about having a 12 position varitone installed.

Anticipate the most glorious controlled feedback with gain. Very lively feel. Great resonance. At high volumes you can sometimes feel it pushing air out of the f holes.

Weight: 5 - 6 lbs
Tones: like a 335 but a bit rounder with softer attack
Balance: a little neck heavy, but doesn't dive on a strap

I have one and love it. It is very light - easily a couple pounds lighter than a solid PRS. Weight balance very good, like any PRS is - particularly comfortable to play while sitting in front of a TV.
Tone is a bit tougher to comment on. It isn't really acoustic, but there is a distinct acoustic flavour to the tone (my 99 doesn't have piezo. The piezo does add a lot to the range of the guitar based on my 09).
Really good guitar. You can't go wrong with it.

That's exactly the same axe as I have (2001 model), It's by far my favorite instrument and if they weren't so "spendy" it's all I would own.......a platoon of them.
As for your questions:
-Light as a feather, the lightest hollow body elec I've held.
-Tones are in the 335 range, a little brighter, but with some tweaking of guitar, amp, I can get some pretty authentic Wes Montgomery/George Benson sounds.
-Balance is this things strongpoint, standing up & strapped it's great and it's THE BEST sitting down guitar I've touched.

I don't know anything about varitone switches but it's pretty versatile as is, I can rock out with it too, almost in the metal range but the arch top pups on the cleaner side. That's one of the reasons I love it so much is that those pickups are (to me) the best ones PRS has put out.

If you liked the Varitone in the past, MAYBE. On paper, they sound like something I would love.. In practice, having had a 345, 355, and a few BB KIng's, I just never acclimated to them. All long since gone. I would reserve judgement until you actually play it. FWIW, my original 1999 never was all I thought I wanted it to be----UNTIL I swapped the pickups. But try them out and tweak them (if need be) before deciding.. The original "archtop pickups" seem to be something people either like or don't, sometimes strongly.

Back