McCarty HB vs HB2 vs 594 HB

Tag

Huge favor wanted, I would gladly do it for you!
Does anyone own all 3 of these, or even 2 of the 3?? Could you PLEASE make a simple acoustic clip of them side by side, just strumming some chords and 20 or so seconds of some single note stuff? I really need to hear the difference side by side of the original HB with no bracing vs the HB2 with the heavy bracing vs the 594 HB with the new bridge.
Even if you have 2 of the 3 it would be greatly appreciated!!!! Also, please explain in detail what you are hearing in person. Volume? Warmth? Plinkyness in one vs the other? Again, this would be a gigantic help for me. Markie?? 11 top?? Break open those glass cases and start strumming!!
:p :)

If you need some help on this, just let me know, i'm also happy to help..
Yes, thats what I am asking for!
:) Do you have 2 of the 3 guitars, or all 3??
I am looking to order a PS, but am totally confused as to exactly what I want. I am pretty sure its a HB or Archtop, but there are at least 3 ways they make them. I practice a LOT acoustically, so am most likely looking for the one that rings out loudest that way. I know several people on here have at least 2 out of the 3, and probably many have all 3! A simple acoustic clip playing the same thing would be EXTREMELY useful for not only me, but others looking for something similar. :):):)
HELP!!!

Yes, thats what I am asking for!
:) Do you have 2 of the 3 guitars, or all 3??
I am looking to order a PS, but am totally confused as to exactly what I want. I am pretty sure its a HB or Archtop, but there are at least 3 ways they make them. I practice a LOT acoustically, so am most likely looking for the one that rings out loudest that way. I know several people on here have at least 2 out of the 3, and probably many have all 3! A simple acoustic clip playing the same thing would be EXTREMELY useful for not only me, but others looking for something similar. :):):)
HELP!!!
Sorry, my poor attempt at humour was missed.
I'm also happy to help you compare the 3 when you find somebody to donate them for research purposes

Reactions: Tag
I can give you something with the different constructions played acoustically if that is what you are after.

98 HB with top completely carved out; I.e. only full depth at the mahogany posts.
09 HB with the top uncarved between the posts, so it is full depth of the top wood from the neck pickup to the bridge.

The 98 has 10s, the 09 has 11s. Electronics are very different. Woods are the same.

Maybe tomorrow afternoon.

I can give you something with the different constructions played acoustically if that is what you are after.

98 HB with top completely carved out; I.e. only full depth at the mahogany posts.
09 HB with the top uncarved between the posts, so it is full depth of the top wood from the neck pickup to the bridge.

The 98 has 10s, the 09 has 11s. Electronics are very different. Woods are the same.

Maybe tomorrow afternoon.
That would be fantastic!! Some chords and a few blues licks or something with both guitars acoustically!! I take it you are describing what I am calling the McCarty HB vs the HB2, correct?? I believe thats the only change they have made. The bracing under the top, or whatever that big hunk of wood is artached to the top that the early ones did not have. I read someone thought it was done mainly to add weight to stop them from neck diving. I dont remember mine doing that, but maybe some did???

That would be fantastic!! Some chords and a few blues licks or something with both guitars acoustically!! I take it you are describing what I am calling the McCarty HB vs the HB2, correct?? I believe thats the only change they have made. The bracing under the top, or whatever that big hunk of wood is artached to the top that the early ones did not have. I read someone thought it was done mainly to add weight to stop them from neck diving. I dont remember mine doing that, but maybe some did???
I can’t comment on why. It isn’t bracing, it is just a different pattern to the carve of the inside of the top so the middle is left thicker than most of it.

I can’t comment on why. It isn’t bracing, it is just a different pattern to the carve of the inside of the top so the middle is left thicker than most of it.

I will post a pic to show what I am talking about to make sure we are on the same page!

Ok, if you look in the F hole here, you will see the light shining on what I am talking about. I thought it was braces glued on, but it seems it goes all the way across making the top that thick all the way across, and continues from the neck back to the sound post! IOW, I dont think you are getting any tone, or very little tone from top movement. The old ones were carved all the way out. Now how much acoustic difference this makes is what I want to find out, because I do so much practicing acoustically. I understand it probably makes very little difference plugged in. On top of that, my 594s sound post is twice as wide as yours to support the two piece bridge, and it still sounds phenomenal! For the price of a PS, I just want to make sure Im getting the best build for my personal needs. That means do I want a McCarty HB, an HB2, OR a 594 Hb2!
:)

OR AN ARCHTOP! :eek:

20181203-212000.jpg

Last edited:
I will post a pic to show what I am talking about to make sure we are on the same page!
Still both on the first page, so there is that. It’s hard to tell from your photo if they are the same - mine grain looks more mapley. Depth of centre looks comparable- mine clearly aligns with the thickness of the cap as seen at the neck joint.
Here is a short acoustic video. Red is 1998. Blue is 2009.

Still both on the first page, so there is that. It’s hard to tell from your photo if they are the same - mine grain looks more mapley. Depth of centre looks comparable- mine clearly aligns with the thickness of the cap as seen at the neck joint.
Here is a short acoustic video. Red is 1998. Blue is 2009.

Wow. Both sound almost the same, with the second one actually sounding slightly louder. The first one has the top all carved out, correct? The second top has way more of it left on. I see now thats how mine is. They just do not carve out the entire middle section like they use to. Do they both sound about the same in person?
THANK YOU!

Here is mine. We really cant compare because my phone is right in the f hole and I pick way harder than you. However, I think this is showing there is not a huge difference, and that one HB2 I owned for one day and sent back was just a dead guitar.
Even PRS hits a bad one once in a while! And its stinks because it was an Artist pack that was STUNNING. It did not ring nearly as loud as my cu22 semi hollow, and this one I have now has to be 20 to 30% louder. I think I can order any of them!

Wow. Both sound almost the same, with the second one actually sounding slightly louder. The first one has the top all carved out, correct? The second top has way more of it left on. I see now thats how mine is. They just do not carve out the entire middle section like they use to. Do they both sound about the same in person?
THANK YOU!
Yes, the first has the top all carved out, noteably between the pickups and where the bridge pickup sits.
The blue one is louder.
They sound a bit different, but have the same basic character from where I sit behind it.

I mostly use my fingers rather than a pick on the hollow bodies, and Archtop...pretty much anything acoustic. I just used a pick because I thought that’s what you were looking for.

Reactions: Tag
Yes, the first has the top all carved out, noteably between the pickups and where the bridge pickup sits.
The blue one is louder.
They sound a bit different, but have the same basic character from where I sit behind it.

I mostly use my fingers rather than a pick on the hollow bodies, and Archtop...pretty much anything acoustic. I just used a pick because I thought that’s what you were looking for.

That is amazing! The one with the far thicker top is louder! That goes against common sense, and everything I have found myself going through endless jazz guitars! Looks like I may just get another build of exactly what I have, although I am also thinking of a CU22 or McCarty semi hollow trem routed as close to a hollowbody as possible.
And THANK YOU for putting up the clips!!! I think its perfectly clear there is not a major difference between the two, which is exactly what Paul Miles told me several years ago!!
:oops::oops::oops:

Back