McCarty 594 with Trem Anyone?

Skeeter

Just wondering if anyone thinks we could see this down the road? I think I've seen a couple PS with trem mentioned.

I guess the argument against is usually the lack of room with four knobs - but they already do that with the Tremonti sig.

I'm just throwing this out there for fun - heck, why not 24 frets, \m/ pickups and a maple neck too! Any other ideas/wishes as to where the highly successful 594 platform might go?

I like trems but that might take away from what makes the 594 so special. Having said that, if prs built one with 5815s I would crap my pants!

A 594 with a trem may sway me from drooling over a SC 594 which to me, it embodies the vintage vibe
that is imprinted in our psychy better.

It already exists as a limited run that came out early last year. I'm lucky to have one and really love it.

It's called the 20th Private Stock Anniversary Ltd. It has both the 594 scale length and a trem. It also has quite a few other interesting departures from most Core models, like the Gen III trem with locking saddles, thicker mahogany back and slightly thinner maple cap, two narrow 408s and a Narrowfield middle pickup, and the control layout's a little different, too.

It does the out-of-phase Stratty things in positions 2 and 4, but has gobs of power and endless sustain. The middle pickup position is my favorite rhythm guitar sound, ever. Neck and bridge positions are like Paul's Guitar; clear, beautiful, versatile, easily transformed into any tone you care to have with just the tone and volume controls, with a good amp.

I've posted a lot about this guitar. It is inspiring. I can't say enough good things about this instrument. Looks the business, too.

Obligatory photo:

Last edited:
Les, This dazzling beauty of yours, I can only dream of, so a core model
could be attainable (if and when available) more easily I hope.

In Brian's newest 594 WL run he mentioned a to be announced spec on that run. I was thinking it would be a trem or semi hollow.

Last edited:
Les, This dazzling beauty of yours, I can only dream of, so a core model
could be attainable (if and when available) more easily I hope.

I think it'd be great as a Core model!

I mentioned it because PRS has done it successfully and it turned out well!

Love my stop tail, personally, but I'm always open to trem possibilities. (Evidenced by the fact that the 594 was my first fixed-bridge purchase since 1986...)

Any excuse to see Les' amazing 20th Anniversary PS. Absolutely stunning!! I was thinking of that - since it's the same scale length, but otherwise goes for more recent progressive PRS ideas - 408s, NFs. Would love to see a core version of that!

I think we would see a SH variant first, but a DC 594 with trem does seem like the crossing of F & G concepts that PRS has always kinda strived for (especially with these great coil-taps).

I mean, if the DC 594 is, say 85% the tone of a classic LP, but in a more modern, ergonomic package - adding the option of PRS' classic style trem seems like it would satisfy something that people have been seeking in one way or another (G's Axcess models with its FR, or even the Santana and DGT models to some extent). Obviously the question remains - how much of the classic LP tone is due to the two piece stop tail? Or put differently - does any trem inherently put a guitar wholly outside the LP tone/vibe?

In any event, I don't think anyone has come up with a particularly good or elegant answer or solution (assuming the DGT and Tremonti don't apply given their 25" scale), and just might be the kind of thing that Paul would be down to try.

Obviously the question remains - how much of the classic LP tone is due to the two piece stop tail? Or put differently - does any trem inherently put a guitar wholly outside the LP tone/vibe?

I can speak only from the experience of comparing my Northern Lights guitar with the Hammer of the Gods McCarty SC, that's pretty close to 594 specs.

In addition to the differences in the pickups and bridge, the nut on Northern Lights is the PRS formula, not bone; of course, the bodies are different, too, etc.

Still, even with all these differences, I can pull a credible LP style tone out of it.

One for sale....

Paul Reed Smith 20th Anniversary Limited Private Stock #6037 - Orange Tourmaline Smoked Burst

https://reverb.com/item/1648880-pau...ate-stock-6037-orange-tourmaline-smoked-burst

cid:67F05FC0-A16B-4AC7-8462-92A95D3AA365

Sent from my phone, please excuse typos and brevity.

I am more of a Stoptail / 2 Piece Bridge kind of guy.

But I did have a Private Stock DC 594 Trem, I believe the first one made, and it was awesome.

It had 58/15 LT's, and still retained all the "594-ness" of the magic of the 594, but has its own thing going on too, with the way a Trem affects the tone of a PRS, which is primarily based on the resonance of the Trem springs IMO. Also it had a Black Limba Body, a Korina Neck an Ebony Board. A little adventurous in wood combination, I would have never been brave enough to spec that, but it was one of the best sounding PRS guitars I have ever played.

It is in the hands of another Forum Member here now, so I won't post a pic here, but you can see it on the "594 Love" thread.

The point of my reply here is that 594 + Trem = Goodness!

I am considering doing a Private Stock SC 594 with a Trem...

I've been thinking about a 20th Anniversary PS body and neck, with P-90s, and a Trem.

The 20th Anniversary has drawn even with the McSC in my world. Top two ever, for me.

I am more of a Stoptail / 2 Piece Bridge kind of guy.

But I did have a Private Stock DC 594 Trem, I believe the first one made, and it was awesome.

It had 58/15 LT's, and still retained all the "594-ness" of the magic of the 594, but has its own thing going on too, with the way a Trem affects the tone of a PRS, which is primarily based on the resonance of the Trem springs IMO. Also it had a Black Limba Body, a Korina Neck an Ebony Board. A little adventurous in wood combination, I would have never been brave enough to spec that, but it was one of the best sounding PRS guitars I have ever played.

It is in the hands of another Forum Member here now, so I won't post a pic here, but you can see it on the "594 Love" thread.

The point of my reply here is that 594 + Trem = Goodness!

I would never have sold that guitar!

What did someone say about Brian possibly doing something out of the box for his next WL run? Is he doing another FB Live event to announce?

He did do a run of McCarty's with trems when the normal McC was brought back in 2015-16.

FWIW I think 594's with trems would sell like hot cakes ;)

Back