Votes: 7 29.2%
  • McCarty 594

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • "Regular" McCarty

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

nicotele

Hi!

Just interested in your preference between the "Regular" McCarty, VS McCarty 594 Vs DGT.

From most Favorite to least favorite, and why you prefer one over the other, or if there is one of them you don't like.

Cheers!

"Regular" McCarty looks perfect and feels like it was made specifically for me.

DGT, I don't dig the neck.
594, I don't like the pickup selector switch location.

Don't know which I would go for if there was no McCarty. I'd probably play my DC22.

Sorry for my ignorance, but aren’t all McCarty’s 594?
In my case, not big fan of whammy bars although I tried a DGT SE that sounded amazing
Hey! Before the McCarty 594 the "Regular" McCarty have existed until today since late 90's, and was called just McCarty. It's really cool, 25 scale length, wide fat neck, only 1 volumen 1 tone, very simple. Love mine!

Don't know which I would go for if there was no McCarty. I'd probably play my DC22.

Hey! That's very interesting.

May I ask what is is about the DGT neck that you didn't dig?

I love myself the Regular McCarty, I have a P90 model from 1999. I also feel that is kind of the best guitar made for me from all I have tried.

Used to have a Core 594 last year. The neck was great, guitar was great, but was comparing it to an R8 and an Eastman but wanting it to feel like an old intrument like those but of course its not that. Didn't judge it as to what it is.

And have a Core DGT arriving this week, so very excited and the only thing I have some doubts is the neck. Cos I like chunkier necks, so don't want to feel so thin or that something lacks. But would love to know in your case what is it you didn't like as much.

Thankfully I got it at a very good price, was very lucky actually! So I know I can sell it easily and get somethig else if needed. Like a McCarty with humbuckers heheh :)

I bought a new McCarty in 2007, and have done nothing to it besides replace strings. The stock McCarty pickups are fine, except the bridge pickup is a little hot for my tastes. I considered buying a set of 58/15 LT pickups for it. Well yesterday my local PRS dealer got a new 594 McCarty SE in and I compared it to both my McCarty and a 59 Les Paul Reissue. A good guitar needs a good neck, and the 594 has a great one. Not as chunky as a Les Paul but feels better than the the original McCarty. All three are very good, but the 594 feels a little better than the other two. I wish they had given the original McCarty two volume controls like the DGT. I play in the middle position a lot, and having volume and tone controls for both pickups gives you a lot more tonal options. Having that control setup on the 594 McCarty is a real plus.
I have not played a DGT. I was hoping they would get an SE model in to try along side the 594 McCarty. But I think I would prefer the 594 to the DGT anyway.

Sorry for my ignorance, but aren’t all McCarty’s 594?
In my case, not big fan of whammy bars although I tried a DGT SE that sounded amazing
No, the McCarty model has a 25" scale length, which is different from 24.594.

I have a DGT WL on hold at my dealer. I like both the Regular neck and the Pattern or Wide Fat, and can switch between them easily. The DGT neck is kind of a variation of the Regular. The advantage of a very slightly narrower fretboard is that picking can be just a little bit faster (for me).

I'm very picky about necks and didn't like that the DGT is slightly narrower than the McCarty Wide Fat. Also, I much prefer the PRS stoptail bridge, which is pretty rare on a DGT.
I understand.

That makes sense from what I've read that is kind of a Fendrish neck (being narrower), which I like if it had meat in the back. So I think it will suit me but will see. Excited to try it and see how it compared to my McCarty.

Thanks for the feedback!

594 for me. I like the 4 knob layout and the Pattern Vintage neck.

For clean sounds I prefer to use both pickups and adjust they’re volumes and tones seperately for just the right mix.

Best of both worlds... Latest acquisition:
Everything is 594 spec except control layout obviously
neOnRN3.jpg

lsgcI6w.jpg

I once played a DGT with a special order Wide Fat neck. I don’t know how the dealer negotiated that one, but for some reason they made an exception. The person who ordered the guitar hadn’t picked it up yet and the dealer let me try it out. It was perfect. I don’t like the DGT neck carve. Too narrow of a nut. I have played a few 594s in stores and they don’t do it for me. I don’t hate them, they just don’t make me want to buy them. I recently tried a McCarty with the full wind 58/15 pickups. It was an amazing guitar, but it was so similar to my Paul’s Guitar that I didn’t keep it. Turning the Paul’s Guitar volume to 8 came really close to matching the McCarty. I am curious to see how much difference the LTs would make.

I'd probably play my DC22.
I need a DC22

I once played a DGT with a special order Wide Fat neck. I don’t know how the dealer negotiated that one, but for some reason they made an exception. The person who ordered the guitar hadn’t picked it up yet and the dealer let me try it out. It was perfect. I don’t like the DGT neck carve. Too narrow of a nut. I have played a few 594s in stores and they don’t do it for me. I don’t hate them, they just don’t make me want to buy them. I recently tried a McCarty with the full wind 58/15 pickups. It was an amazing guitar, but it was so similar to my Paul’s Guitar that I didn’t keep it. Turning the Paul’s Guitar volume to 8 came really close to matching the McCarty. I am curious to see how much difference the LTs would make.
That’s how I had mine made. DGT with Wide Fat is a real keeper. Would also love one in the 594 scale.

Back