McCarty 594 vs 408 for versatility

grausch

I quite often see that the 408 and Paul's Guitar are still mentioned as being the most versatile. However with the individual coil taps now common to all three models, and with the 594 having independent volume and tone controls for each pickup, does this not make the 594 more versatile?

Not sure if I am correct in this, but I believe the 408 pickups are also hotter than those of the 594, thus a 594 should be able to handle low-gain stuff better and if high-gain is needed, then the gain on the amp could just be turned up - at least it works like that with my Bernie with BKP Mules.

If you haven't guesses it by now, I found a used droolworthy 408 and a just slightly less droolworthy SC 594 at roughly the same price point. Interested in owners of both just sharing some opinions on what they like / don't like from each one, and what they think the other guitar does better / worse. Ultimately, I am sure that either guitar will kick serious a$$, but would appreciate the input.

I picked up my 408 after almost exclusively playing my McCarty(a regular one;)) for a jam with my brother-in-law... It was a sweet reminder what you can coax out of those pickups...I'm usually a bridge humbucker guy for most of my playing...I was all over the 3-way switch and the mini toggles...I was also back and forth between both channels on the Archon. I can't speak for a 594 as I haven't played one. The 408 is FULL of tonez!!

I quite often see that the 408 and Paul's Guitar are still mentioned as being the most versatile. However with the individual coil taps now common to all three models, and with the 594 having independent volume and tone controls for each pickup, does this not make the 594 more versatile?

This question reminds me of the endless debate between Strat and Les Paul players about versatility that's been ongoing since 1954. It can't be decided because players have different ideas about instruments.

If you prefer the basic tone/feel of a Les Paul to the basic tone/feel of a Strat, it really doesn't matter if the Strat has more pickups and switch positions, right? There's no theoretically correct answer when it comes to choosing instruments.

The idea of "versatility" is a rationalization for a much more complex set of considerations involved in choosing an instrument.

The 594 is made to sound more vintage. The 408 has a different thing happening. Both are great, and both do an awful lot of things. But picking an instrument is an emotional, subjective, personal thing.

No guitar is versatile if you're not going to play it. By the same token, history has shown that most electric guitars can be used to play just about anything.

Between the 408 and 594, there are differences in scale length, pickup types, neck carves, switching, control layouts, nuts, and bridges. The basic sounds on tap and feel are different. In a way, it's apples to oranges. Play both and see what appeals to you more.

It's your voice; you're the only person who can answer the question you've posed. I'd also add that for me, it's the player who's versatile, not so much the guitar. A single pickup guitar with only a volume control can get an awful lot of tones if the player is willing to turn the knob, play with varying dynamics, etc.

Last edited:
Both will be crazy versatile. To Les's point, it depends on the general feel and tonality you prefer. Presumably the 408 has a trem, so that may be a plus or minus to you.

The 408 pickups are more powerful, but they have fantastic clarity.

Like others have said its a very personal , all I can say is for "ME" the 408 is more my thing.
I like the longer scale , simpler control layout and the narrow 408 pickup is just stellar in the neck ( great is the bridge also on a pauls or a brushstroke 24 )
The 408 Bridge pickup really rocks in full bucker mode but when split and then combined with the narrow neck :) it just make me happy
The pickups in the 594 are superb sounding but it is still for me a hum bucker guitar that has coil taps.
To be honest the 594s I have played were great guitars ( Thanks Pete and Bodia , Brian) just not what I need or want in a guitar at this point, they are better than the 24.5" scale guitars, but as with many shorter scale guitars it just feels small ( I call it a tight fit ) it seems like a small thing but the 25" scale just works for me ( 25 1/4 on the 513 and NF is killer also ) and the way the 408 pickups work with different
pedals and amps is really impressive.

Thanks for all the comments so far. One thing has become abundantly clear - I absolutely need both!

I would be perfectly happy with either as both have elements that are appealing to me. It is just nice getting some viewpoints on what others like on these guitars and it gives me some good arguments when justifying to the wife why I absolutely need another guitar. ;)

I think you owe it to yourself to get a private stock 594 with 408 pickups, this way you can avoid buying 2 guitars.

I have both a 594 and a Siggy Ltd (pre-cursor to the 408) and the one I've been thinking of would be a private stock 594 trem with 408 pickups and piezo – now that would be giving you lots of options :)

I'm new to all things PRS. However, I've learned there's a slew of options with every guitar. So I have to ask... are these both comparable models for the same money?

I mean if one had a 10 top & the other didn't, that would affect your choice wouldn't it?

So they have a Rosewood or maple neck? Either have an ebony or Brazilian do fingerboard?

How do you feel about brushstroke birds vs the McCarty birds?

I know versatility is at the top of your list, but do any of these other features matter to you?

The 408 has all the bling - it would have to for me to consider it if it is priced same as a new 594.

The sad reality is that I probably really need both. The 408 and its longer scale length will work well for Iron Maiden type gallop rhythms while the 594 with its shorter scale length and more mellow pickups would work extremely well for AC/DC or any other type of classic rock. No matter which one I buy first, I will always lust after the other. Might as well admit the problem now.

In any case, if the 408 sells, I will struggle to find another with those exact same specs, so I should probably contact the dealer. I can then wait until I see a 594 in the exact colour I want, and then make a plan to acquire it then.

In any case, if the 408 sells, I will struggle to find another with those exact same specs, so I should probably contact the dealer. I can then wait until I see a 594 in the exact colour I want, and then make a plan to acquire it then.

And wait for the 594 fever to die down. Eventually the used prices wont be so bad.

I own a 408. Is it versatile? Depends on your definition of that word.

Yes, it sounds great on its own. And yes, it sounds great played in a multitude of contexts.

But does it have a wide range of sounds? My answer is NO. The bridge pup has a definite sound signature that shows up regardless of whether it's tapped or not. Likewise the neck pup. you get nearly the same sound in tapped mode as in humbucker mode, at least to my ear.

Not a bad thing IMO. To my ear, the 408 has its own unique sound. Worth owing for that alone, along with its playability and sheer beauty.

I have a 408 standard with a pattern thin neck that I've had for about three years now and this winter I added a 594 to the stable. They are two completely different creatures! If it is at all possible get both. Otherwise it depends on what you play. If your into modern tones and a shredder feel go with the 408, if you're into classic rock and a full feeling neck in your hands go for the 594. The 408 pickups are very modern and hi fidelity (not sterile though) while the 58/15LTs are fatter and warmer but still retain clarity and are very articulate. The tapped sounds get pretty thin on the 594, I use them less than any setting. The 408 single coil tones are very dependent on your amp, I've found my hand wired amps are much more sensitive to the differences in the timbre of the single coil vs humbucker settings (the HXDA is a perfect example, the 408 sounds like two very different guitars with this amp) while through my PCB amps the difference between the 408 single coil and humbucker modes is actually pretty subtle, I believe this has more to do with the quality of the components used in the amp circuits than the fact they are "hand wired". The scale lengths feel and sound pretty different as well even when unplugged.

One other perhaps odd observation: I reached a point where I love a guitar that does whatever it does extremely well. If it doesn't do everything under the sun, well, so what? Nothing does everything under the sun without significant compromise.

If I'm hiring a singer for a recording project, I don't need her to also tap dance and play the tuba.

Sometimes specialization is a good thing.

Last edited:
Back