McCarty 594, pickups and tone chasing; 5 pickups in 5 days

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Ironwolf, Feb 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MA Pete

MA Pete 594 Addict

Great reply, thanks!

I had seen the Howard Leese / Tim Pierce video, that is terrific! I am a huge fan of both of them, and had the opportunity to meet Howard and trade some guitars with him over the years. (It has been great fun to see him out there gigging my former guitars!) That is a great demo of them comparing the tones, and it is pretty mind-blowing.

I hadn't see the CME video, that was pretty cool as well. That to me was a very "real world" test, I thought the 594 sounded the best of any of those guitars, by a long shot.

Back to the pickups, the stock 5815 LTs are absolutely AMAZING in both the bridge and neck of my new SC 594 Semi-Hollow and DC 594 Hollowbody II guitars. Something about those LTs and Semi-Hollow and Hollow construction, WOW! Those won't be going anywhere.

In the SC 594 Prototype, based on finding my old notes posted above, I am going to start with the 5815s. The set I snagged on Reverb came in yesterday! I will report back when I get them in and get a chance to test them out...

Karan D. Taktawala and bodia like this.
  2. Karan D. Taktawala

Hey, nice!

I now authentically & officially know a guy that knows a famous guy:)

That's pretty neat man getting to trade with an actual player out there.

My only regret is, I bought my 594 3 years too soon.
    Wish I'd waited till 2020 but I guess everything happens for a reason because I doubt I'd have bothered learning more about pickups and PAFs etc if I hadn't.

Now I really want a Nitro finish though:confused:.
    Any thoughts on the old V12 finish? It said it was V12 when I got it from Sweetwater but now I believe they say Arcylic Urethane. Maybe I'll have it refinished through PTC after a few years of play. I've always been a 1 guitar guy so every time I move on to something better I sell or share the old one. We're a whole family of guitarists so no dearth of players and good homes for old instruments. But this one's a keeper.

I guess I'll need some form of work on frets a few years down so maybe a conversion to burst?:rolleyes:

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  3. MA Pete

MA Pete 594 Addict

"My only regret is, I bought my 594 3 years too soon."

I can't agree with that - didn't you enjoy the crap out of the SC 594 for those three years? Your many great videos seem to indicate that you did! ;)

There is always going to be something newer and shinier coming out, whether it is guitars, tech or cars. (Also three of which are equally a problem for me...) And to make matters worse, companies pull on our emotions and the dopamine rush to perhaps "oversell" the difference of how much the new thing is better than the old/existing thing.

That said, enjoy things while you can, life is short!!

My apologies to all out there for my ranting about how much I am blown away by the new 2020 SC 594. I realize I may be feeding into all the above by fueling the feeling that somehow the existing Core 594s are not as great anymore and we will now need these amazing 2020 guitars to be satisfied. That really is not the case. The 2016+ DC and SC 594s are the best PRS models ever, best models of any guitar maker IMO, for any "Short Scale" guitar lover.

If you do choose to "upgrade" at some point, you did it right by doing a Goldtop, that would take the least hit re depreciation of any model if sold. ;)

Paul and team are ALWAYS striving for improvements, and that is the reason why the 594s are so great! Paul and team have been tinkering with that Short Scale PRS formula since the introduction of the SC 245 (and really with the Howard Leese Golden Eagle and the Santana before that), through the DC and SC Ted McCartys in 2009, to the 2014 Ted McCarty Singlecuts (Private Stock only), to reaching near-perfection with the DC and SC 594 in 2016.

Honestly, I don't know how on earth they can improve from here. But I am sure they will keep on going! ;)

Dead&Co, bodia and Alnus Rubra like this.
  4. Gigi

Gigi New Member

you guys make me want a custom 22 with 57/08, but it's hard to find, seems to have been in production only two years...

5. Allstarrme

Allstarrme New Member

I have a similar issue. I have 2 594 ten tops. One sounds amazing, I did a minor setup and it sounds great. The other one sounds good but the bridge is a little thinner and brighter sounding.

I brought it closer to the strings, and adjusted the neck so the action was less buzzy. Adjusted the poles some too. It sounds much better after some fine tuning but live it’s still not as magical as the other one. I measured both and the great one is just slightly hotter by .1 k on both pickups. The other one has an artist grade top though so it looks better, and the neck LT sounds like it should. It is amazing on a low output pickup how much a little adjustment can make.

I have been on a bit of a hunt for a regular 58/15 set. I imagine for the bridge the neck 58/15 would be enough to give me clarity but have a bit more punch. I do have a pearly gates plus in my pickup drawer as well I might try. It’s just under 9k and A5 rather than A2 like the standard pearly. Should be closer to a 59 really. Maybe I’ll put a cover on and try it out.

Does anyone know what magnet is in the 58/15 or the LT’s? I imagine it’s an A2, and probably putting an A4 or a rough cast unoriented A5 would boost the output without changing the tonality to much. I bet putting an A8 in these would really wake them up.