McCarty 594, pickups and tone chasing; 5 pickups in 5 days

Ironwolf

I'm a Dog! I do Dog Things!
A small story, some observations and possible learnings.

I've had my McCarty 594 double cut for a few weeks now, and like many others I found the 58/15 LT, in the bridge position a little bit lacking in drive. But I was quite aware that it supported the middle position by blending with the neck pickup, and it provided fantastic overall tones from the guitar. additionally it truly is a very good pickup. So I started out convincing myself I can easily go back to the original pick up no problem let's try a few out and see what happens. I really wanted to keep a lot of the original design intent of the guitar.
My preference is for a bright guitar, additionally I selected a 594 with a maple neck. I feel like most amplifiers have way too much bass, every guitar I have seems to have the tone knob rolled to maximum 10 almost permanently, it's so easy to make a small adjustment down if the guitar is slightly bright. But you can never seem to make a bass heavy guitar regain treble frequencies. I always wish I could roll my tone knob to 11 or 12 just a little more brightness. Marshall amplifier FYI.

Day 1: PRS 59/09 bridge, 9.5 K ohms. I suspected that this one was going to have too much gain, this is very good pickup as well, slightly mid-heavy for me, very solid rock 'n roll, I did seem to miss some of the high frequencies. And it seemed to dominate the neck pickup too much with volume and gain. The picking dynamics and subtleties faded away in the low gain settings. But very fun rock 'n roll power chords. decent to excellent coil splitting, very nice authentic single coil sound.

Day 2: PRS 85/15 bridge, 8.6 K ohms A very interesting pick up. This was very close to satisfying across many different songs and playing styles, this one seems slightly opposite of the 59/09 EQ wise it seemed to me slightly scooped in the mids, as I started playing a lot of 70s classic rock then comparing directly with the Les Paul, the only way to get a match was to turn my mid-EQ up to 80% of maximum on the amplifier, confirming the slight lack of mids. The gain structure of this pickup is very pleasing and very flexible. coil splitting was excellent, matching the neck pickup middle position tones very nice. It was just a little bit too difficult to cover the classic rock songs, a little bit too much EQ'ing. super strong contender.

Day 3: Back to the PRS 58/15 LT bridge 7.5K ohms, I love the EQ on this pickup, just had to remind myself what I was chasing. Played all my classic rock songs, but had to add a booster or drive pedal to everything. but such a satisfying pickup in most every way, the clarity, the picking dynamics super fun. split coil awesome. but still lacking that drive and gain where harmonic bloom blossoms.

Day 4: PRS 57/08 bridge pickup 9.22 K ohms, Wow this pickup is killer, absolute perfect EQ. 60s 70s 80s 90s rock instant find it. couldn't stop playing it. Until I tried to blend it with the other pickup. Very nice single coil tone, it was better at playing with the neck pickup than the 59/ 09, but it's still dominated, turning the volume knob down on the 594 is a problem there's way too much treble loss, I think I may need to put a treble bleed circuit in. So the only problem with this pickup is it's not quite playing well with the neck. Super strong contender.

Day 5: Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates bridge pickup 8.00 K ohms, I would say the 57/08 is a near perfect clone of this pickup, the gain structure the EQ the tightness, however this has a slightly better flavor of more brightness in the upper treble regions a few more bell like tones up there, very pleasing,
I chalk it up to the lower windings and lower resistance of the pearly gates. The reason I tried this pickup was because I have an 8.4 K ohms custom shop Pearly Gates in my les paul, which has been extremely satisfying for several years. I just hesitated to put the same pickup in multiple guitars. but this LT version,
Just blends with the 5815 LT absolutely perfectly, and it's absolutely just as satisfying as the 57/08 covered all my classic rock songs with no booster pedals, covered all my David Gilmour songs on the single coil or should I say coil tap. So this is going to be the final pickup I believe this one is not coming out. I can't put the guitar down. Every coil tap every position the tones are not just satisfying they are amazing.

One of the final observations playing the two guitars head-to-head the LP still has some stronger string attack and slightly brighter flavor, and I was trying to figure it out. And it suddenly became obvious, because I had switched out some saddles on a previous guitar from the typical steel alloys, to brass saddles, and the brass definitely takes away some of the high-end trading for some more mid EQ complexities, and it definitely slightly lowers the attack on the string. I immediately took the brass saddles out of that older guitar. So the two guitars definitely are very similar and yet completely different flavors, I believe the brass saddles work extremely well on this guitar I have no intent of changing them. So the LP has a slightly stronger string attack with its titanium saddles, and the 594 has much more complex blooming mid-harmonics. Slightly less string attack. compensated a little bit with the maple neck.
The guitar does have a new look with the black uncovered Pearly gates. I think it looks pretty damn good. But it sounds like a monster. Extremely happy, I spend 50% of the playing time on that neck pickup that's why I invested so much time trying to find a perfect bridge pickup. The 5815 LT in the neck is in my opinion genius super awesome guitar best neck pickup I've ever played The humbucker mode and the split coil mode so useful. Now with a little more heat in the bridge.
d9m8Uiq.jpg

Great writeup, and super-pretty 594!

Like you, I have a maple neck 594 (with BRW fretboard) that I love. Without wanting to seem overly esoteric, I’ve found that a low-turn pickup is pretty sensitive to cable capacitance. All passive pickups are, of course, but the LTs do have more-high end with a low-capacitance cable.

Over the weekend did yet another cable shootout with a few cables I had on hand, a Lava Ultramafic Flex, a Mogami, and a PRS/Van Damme.

The results were what you might imagine - if you haven’t already, and you like a bright, present tone, try several cables. They really do affect what’s coming out of the pickups.

The PRS/Van Damme’s published spec shows a low capacitance of 25 pf per foot, and indeed, it had the most presence and high end, and I was able to have more useful range on the guitar controls.

The Mogami’s published capacitance is somewhere in the 40s per foot, and it sounded nice, but lost a bit of high frequency content. So the useful control range was a little lower. Still sounded good, though.

The Lava was an instrument cable I hadn't’ tried before. There weren’t specs for it on their site. It must be high, because it put a blanket over the high end unless the pickup was dimed. Also, the resonant peak was in an unpleasant frequency for two of my amps, and it just wasn’t working for me (I’ll use it for line level stuff with synth gear or for bass).

I’ll note that all cables have a resonant peak at the point where the high frequency rolloff starts, it’s the nature of capacitance rolloff. It can be in a good spot or bad one. The Lava’s frequency peak was ok with the HXDA, but was awful with the DG30 and Lone Star - for what I play. YMMV.

Anyway, if you like a bright sounding tone, with this guitar the PRS/Van Damme was a good choice.

I’ve also got a dedicated buffer box at the front of my pedal chain, though I’ve depended on that for years. A quality buffer preserves high end in a pedal chain, and subsequent runs to the amp.

So it’s worth experimenting, and there’s no soldering involved! ;) If you run your guitar with all controls on 10, of course this is less of an issue, but if you use the volume and tone controls on the guitar, this stuff matters more than you might suspect.

Finally, I recommend a high quality EQ pedal to help shape the frequency response as desired for various tones. I use a Pettyjohn Filter, that uses discrete components, has a “studio” sound and does nice things for the tone even run flat, but any good EQ can help quite a lot, especially with bassy amps to cut some of the mud that messes up a band or studio mix.

Last edited:

I've had my McCarty 594 double cut for a few weeks now, and like many others I found the 58/15 LT, in the bridge position a little bit lacking in drive. But I was quite aware that it supported the middle position by blending with the neck pickup, and it provided fantastic overall tones from the guitar. additionally it truly is a very good pickup. So I started out convincing myself I can easily go back to the original pick up no problem let's try a few out and see what happens. I really wanted to keep a lot of the original design intent of the guitar.
My preference is for a bright guitar, additionally I selected a 594 with a maple neck. I feel like most amplifiers have way too much bass, every guitar I have seems to have the tone knob rolled to maximum 10 almost permanently, it's so easy to make a small adjustment down if the guitar is slightly bright. But you can never seem to make a bass heavy guitar regain treble frequencies. I always wish I could roll my tone knob to 11 or 12 just a little more brightness. Marshall amplifier FYI.

Day 1: PRS 59/09 bridge, 9.5 K ohms. I suspected that this one was going to have too much gain, this is very good pickup as well, slightly mid-heavy for me, very solid rock 'n roll, I did seem to miss some of the high frequencies. And it seemed to dominate the neck pickup too much with volume and gain. The picking dynamics and subtleties faded away in the low gain settings. But very fun rock 'n roll power chords. decent to excellent coil splitting, very nice authentic single coil sound.

Day 2: PRS 85/15 bridge, 8.6 K ohms A very interesting pick up. This was very close to satisfying across many different songs and playing styles, this one seems slightly opposite of the 59/09 EQ wise it seemed to me slightly scooped in the mids, as I started playing a lot of 70s classic rock then comparing directly with the Les Paul, the only way to get a match was to turn my mid-EQ up to 80% of maximum on the amplifier, confirming the slight lack of mids. The gain structure of this pickup is very pleasing and very flexible. coil splitting was excellent, matching the neck pickup middle position tones very nice. It was just a little bit too difficult to cover the classic rock songs, a little bit too much EQ'ing. super strong contender.

Day 3: Back to the PRS 58/15 LT bridge 7.5K ohms, I love the EQ on this pickup, just had to remind myself what I was chasing. Played all my classic rock songs, but had to add a booster or drive pedal to everything. but such a satisfying pickup in most every way, the clarity, the picking dynamics super fun. split coil awesome. but still lacking that drive and gain where harmonic bloom blossoms.

Day 4: PRS 57/08 bridge pickup 9.22 K ohms, Wow this pickup is killer, absolute perfect EQ. 60s 70s 80s 90s rock instant find it. couldn't stop playing it. Until I tried to blend it with the other pickup. Very nice single coil tone, it was better at playing with the neck pickup than the 59/ 09, but it's still dominated, turning the volume knob down on the 594 is a problem there's way too much treble loss, I think I may need to put a treble bleed circuit in. So the only problem with this pickup is it's not quite playing well with the neck. Super strong contender.

Day 5: Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates bridge pickup 8.00 K ohms, I would say the 57/08 is a near perfect clone of this pickup, the gain structure the EQ the tightness, however this has a slightly better flavor of more brightness in the upper treble regions a few more bell like tones up there, very pleasing,
I chalk it up to the lower windings and lower resistance of the pearly gates. The reason I tried this pickup was because I have an 8.4 K ohms custom shop Pearly Gates in my les paul, which has been extremely satisfying for several years. I just hesitated to put the same pickup in multiple guitars. but this LT version,
Just blends with the 5815 LT absolutely perfectly, and it's absolutely just as satisfying as the 57/08 covered all my classic rock songs with no booster pedals, covered all my David Gilmour songs on the single coil or should I say coil tap. So this is going to be the final pickup I believe this one is not coming out. I can't put the guitar down. Every coil tap every position the tones are not just satisfying they are amazing.

One of the final observations playing the two guitars head-to-head the LP still has some stronger string attack and slightly brighter flavor, and I was trying to figure it out. And it suddenly became obvious, because I had switched out some saddles on a previous guitar from the typical steel alloys, to brass saddles, and the brass definitely takes away some of the high-end trading for some more mid EQ complexities, and it definitely slightly lowers the attack on the string. I immediately took the brass saddles out of that older guitar. So the two guitars definitely are very similar and yet completely different flavors, I believe the brass saddles work extremely well on this guitar I have no intent of changing them. So the LP has a slightly stronger string attack with its titanium saddles, and the 594 has much more complex blooming mid-harmonics. Slightly less string attack. compensated a little bit with the maple neck.
The guitar does have a new look with the black uncovered Pearly gates. I think it looks pretty damn good. But it sounds like a monster. Extremely happy, I spend 50% of the playing time on that neck pickup that's why I invested so much time trying to find a perfect bridge pickup. The 5815 LT in the neck is in my opinion genius super awesome guitar best neck pickup I've ever played The humbucker mode and the split coil mode so useful. Now with a little more heat in the bridge.
d9m8Uiq.jpg

Great writeup, and super-pretty 594!

Like you, I have a maple neck 594 (with BRW fretboard) that I love. Without wanting to seem overly esoteric, I’ve found that a low-turn pickup is pretty sensitive to cable capacitance. All passive pickups are, of course, but the LTs do have more-high end with a low-capacitance cable.

Over the weekend did yet another cable shootout with a few cables I had on hand, a Lava Ultramafic Flex, a Mogami, and a PRS/Van Damme.

The results were what you might imagine - if you haven’t already, and you like a bright, present tone, try several cables. They really do affect what’s coming out of the pickups.

The PRS/Van Damme’s published spec shows a low capacitance of 25 pf per foot, and indeed, it had the most presence and high end, and I was able to have more useful range on the guitar controls.

The Mogami’s published capacitance is somewhere in the 40s per foot, and it sounded nice, but lost a bit of high frequency content. So the useful control range was a little lower. Still sounded good, though.

The Lava was an instrument cable I hadn't’ tried before. There weren’t specs for it on their site. It must be high, because it put a blanket over the high end unless the pickup was dimed. Also, the resonant peak was in an unpleasant frequency for two of my amps, and it just wasn’t working for me (I’ll use it for line level stuff with synth gear or for bass).

I’ll note that all cables have a resonant peak at the point where the high frequency rolloff starts, it’s the nature of capacitance rolloff. It can be in a good spot or bad one. The Lava’s frequency peak was ok with the HXDA, but was awful with the DG30 and Lone Star - for what I play. YMMV.

Anyway, if you like a bright sounding tone, with this guitar the PRS/Van Damme was a good choice.

I’ve also got a dedicated buffer box at the front of my pedal chain, though I’ve depended on that for years. A quality buffer preserves high end in a pedal chain, and subsequent runs to the amp.

So it’s worth experimenting, and there’s no soldering involved! ;) If you run your guitar with all controls on 10, of course this is less of an issue, but if you use the volume and tone controls on the guitar, this stuff matters more than you might suspect.

Finally, I recommend a high quality EQ pedal to help shape the frequency response as desired for various tones. I use a Pettyjohn Filter, that uses discrete components, has a “studio” sound and does nice things for the tone even run flat, but any good EQ can help quite a lot, especially with bassy amps to cut some of the mud that messes up a band or studio mix.

Excellent info, gents!

I occasionally wish the LT in the bridge had a little more juice, but it generally works very well for me and I have had great results stacking drives, whether it be dirty amp plus a stompbox, or two stompboxes into a clean amp.

I too like brighter instruments. It's much easier to dial it out, given the passive controls, than it is to add more.

And I use Bill Lawrence cables, 20 pf / ft. 10 ft from guitar to board (or straight in) and 12 ft from board to amp.

I wonder how a covered 5310 bridge pickup would work in a 594 singlecut?
dammit that was the only one I couldn't get a hold of. I actually looked in tried to buy 53/10.

there was just zero, not available.

I will certainly try a Claude Van Damme cable. it has twice the van damage. it seems like it's going to have twice or double the impact.:)

I scored one a year ago. If the 5815LT bridge doesn't work for me this is what I intend to put in it.

I won't have the guitar for a couple of days yet. The wait kills.

I really like a JB in the bridge position (not for the 594, just in general).

Nice write-up.

Post of the month ironwolf, and that guitar top is mesmerizing

d9m8Uiq.jpg

Man, we must have the same exact ears! I love bright! I have gone through the same pickup sets (except 59/09) and could never identify the right combo for my McCarty. I had a SD Pearly Gates set installed in a LP and loved the pickups but disliked the guitar. Ended up selling the whole shebang. Now, based on your input, I'm gonna get a Pearly Gates bridge to try in my McCarty with the 58/15LTs. I would have never thought about that pair.

:)

If I recall correctly, SD pups can be bought minus logo... For the right price of course.

Man, we must have the same exact ears! I love bright! I have gone through the same pickup sets (except 59/09) and could never identify the right combo for my McCarty. I had a SD Pearly Gates set installed in a LP and loved the pickups but disliked the guitar. Ended up selling the whole shebang. Now, based on your input, I'm gonna get a Pearly Gates bridge to try in my McCarty with the 58/15LTs. I would have never thought about that pair.

:)

If I recall correctly, SD pups can be bought minus logo... For the right price of course.

yes you can find them without the logos even in common stock, as I said I ordered a custom shop for an extra $75.
I wanted a very specific color no logo, and while I was filling out the form, I requested that they put it at the top end of the resistance specification of 8.2 to 8.3 Kohms. about one week later someone called me, she said I'm winding your pickups right now, custom hand winding, she said how do you want this pickup to sound, and I gave her those kinds of details I wanted it bright that I love guns and roses a lot of middle gain classic rock, I like to turn the volume knob down to control gain, so I said I wanted a little bit extra hot. so the pickup I got was 8.5 Kohms,
handmade it is fantastic. it is definitely the best Pearly Gates I've ever had, I would have to say I have had 5 to 6 different Pearly Gates it's one of my starting pickups for almost every guitar, they range from 8.0 to 8.4 off-the-shelf and I definitely prefer the slightly hotter, so I would definitely suggest ordering a custom shop Pearly Gates they will take care of you. the 8.0 is a little bit light, but still very nice rocking. and of course you can get the nickel cover. I like the open coil's for tone. cheers

yes you can find them without the logos even in common stock, as I said I ordered a custom shop for an extra $75.
I wanted a very specific color no logo, and while I was filling out the form, I requested that they put it at the top end of the resistance specification of 8.2 to 8.3 Kohms. about one week later someone called me, she said I'm winding your pickups right now, custom hand winding, she said how do you want this pickup to sound, and I gave her those kinds of details I wanted it bright that I love guns and roses a lot of middle gain classic rock, I like to turn the volume knob down to control gain, so I said I wanted a little bit extra hot. so the pickup I got was 8.5 Kohms,
handmade it is fantastic. it is definitely the best Pearly Gates I've ever had, I would have to say I have had 5 to 6 different Pearly Gates it's one of my starting pickups for almost every guitar, they range from 8.0 to 8.4 off-the-shelf and I definitely prefer the slightly hotter, so I would definitely suggest ordering a custom shop Pearly Gates they will take care of you. the 8.0 is a little bit light, but still very nice rocking. and of course you can get the nickel cover. I like the open coil's for tone. cheers

My last PGb measured in at 8.1Kohm on the dot. I liked it a lot in the LP that I had it installed in... I just didnt know that it would pair well with the 58/15LT neck. Like you, I tend to leave the tone knob on 10 on all of my guitars; I mainly control everything with the volume.

I love the balance and grit of the 57/08s but they were a muddy mess in my rosewood necked McCarty... The 58/15LTs have behaved much better in that guitar for me.

If I had to choose my favorite PRS pickups at this moment they would be the 85/15. I may eventually try one final experiment and install a 85/15 set in the McCarty ... But for right now, the guitar really likes the LTs.

That would be Maricela, she's a nice lady and a pickup wizard- she winds all the Duncan custom shop pickups. There's something kinda special in all her pickups, even the ones from back when she was doing regular production. Any Duncan that's marked MJ has a little extra mojo.

That would be Maricela, she's a nice lady and a pickup wizard- she winds all the Duncan custom shop pickups. There's something kinda special in all her pickups, even the ones from back when she was doing regular production. Any Duncan that's marked MJ has a little extra mojo.
yes that's 100% correct, she was very collaborative, I feel honored. I was blown away when I got into the LP.
they are also very excellent splitting, with a four wire conductor single coil sounds very very impressive. Seymour knows what he's doing. Slash and Billy Gibbons, two of the best sounding guitars ever recorded, trust him implicitly.
I feel like I have some of the legendary mojo now.:D:)now if only I had some skill:(

Back