McCarty 594 one year later

gwayne

I can't believe it's already been a year since I started an NGD post with this McCarty 594. Playing it today I was once again struck by how absolutely perfect it is, from the 10-top, awesome faded whale blue finish, neck carve, and those freaking TCI pickups!! The range of tones with slight volume and tone changes is remarkable. It sounds exactly like a perfect PAF sounds in my head.

Before buying it, my number one was a Custom Shop '57 Historic. After getting the PRS, I wanted to sell the Gibson but made myself wait so I didn't do anything rash and end up regretting selling it. After playing the McCarty for a couple hours today, I put it away and plugged in the '57. Oh my gosh, not even close. The Gibson just feels meh. At best. And this used to be my number one. Hats off to Paul and the PRS team. I don't think it can get any better.
X63gahR.jpg

Beautiful guitar.

I also have a 594 since February. I've always loved the McCarty model and the 594 is a refined version of it with a vintage vibe. I think the 504 is the flagship PRS now and probably the best PRS has come up with in the last years.

Congrats again for that faded whale blue beauty!

Looks great, very classy, good to hear you like it also after the honeymoon phase!

So, this one has the most recent modifications, even if it’s a 2019 (just assuming it’s a ‘19)? Vintage tuners, TCI PU:s and different coating? Are these “upgrades” significant or just a matter of taste?

594s are wonderful - got to play mine for the first time in several months, such a killer guitar. Pattern Vintage neck carve is by far my favorite and the DC ergonomics are terrific.

Someday, I’d like to compare my 2016 594 to one with the TCIs. I’m sure that won’t happen anytime soon. I do find myself playing my PRSs more than my Les Pauls. I’d still like to see the four knob setup with a 25 inch pattern neck though... That means Private Stock, I guess.

Looks great, very classy, good to hear you like it also after the honeymoon phase!

So, this one has the most recent modifications, even if it’s a 2019 (just assuming it’s a ‘19)? Vintage tuners, TCI PU:s and different coating? Are these “upgrades” significant or just a matter of taste?

Yes, it is a late 2019. The only thing I am sure of are the TCI pickups since they are listed on the hang tag. I think the tuners are phase III, but I am not sure. As far as the finish, it feels like poly, but I honestly don't know. It is the only 594 I've played, and I bought it sight-unseen other than the photograph on the dealer's website. I feel like the TCI pickups are significant, but I am basing that solely on these pickups compared to DGT's and Dragon I and IIs which I have played/owned in the past. Apples-oranges different. As far as the coating, I've played great guitars with nitro and poly, as well as dogs with each finish. As a package, everything comes together perfectly and just works. I wish I could be more help.

Yes, it is a late 2019. The only thing I am sure of are the TCI pickups since they are listed on the hang tag. I think the tuners are phase III, but I am not sure. As far as the finish, it feels like poly, but I honestly don't know. It is the only 594 I've played, and I bought it sight-unseen other than the photograph on the dealer's website. I feel like the TCI pickups are significant, but I am basing that solely on these pickups compared to DGT's and Dragon I and IIs which I have played/owned in the past. Apples-oranges different. As far as the coating, I've played great guitars with nitro and poly, as well as dogs with each finish. As a package, everything comes together perfectly and just works. I wish I could be more help.

Thanks, don’t worry, you’ve being very helpful, I fully understand you cannot A/B the different versions side by side, very few are in that situation. I wish I could just go to a dealer and make an educated decision myself.

The reason I’m asking is that I’ve been looking for a 594 and going with a 2020 year model would most likely mean buying new. Besides the obvious price difference from buying used, it also adds a number of choices to make, like color, and, there are so many models to consider, and to be honest, I fancy them all!

There’s a 2016 Faded Wale Blue 594 on my local used maket at the moment, at a reasonable price, but I don’t want to miss out on some ground breaking upgrade because I’m being cheap. However, I’m sure PRS knew what they were doing also in 2016.:)

Back