McCarty 594 HBII vs. HBII

McCarty 594 HBII or HBII?

• 594 HBII

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • HBII

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Wylie

Hello team, I've been a lurker here for years, but just finally made an account today. I've really appreciated learning from all your posts, and I'm hoping you can help me with this question. I recently got a big promotion at work and have been planning to celebrate with a purchase of my dream guitar, an HBII. Having said that, in watching videos about them, I ran across the McCarty 594 HBII, which I'd previusly discounted as I strongly prefer the HBII on aesthetic grounds (mostly down to finish options, though also the 594's toggle on the upper horn has always seemed a bit awkward to me). So here's the problem: in several videos, the 594 seemed to have a depth to it that the HBII lacked. I'm new so can't post links yet, but Nstuff Music did reviews of both, and the difference was striking to my ears. The HBII sounds good, but compared to the 594 HB, seems noticeably thinner in tone, both clean and distorted. The 594 has that "sound in my head" thing happening, very warm and vintage without being wooly and ill-defined. The HBII had definition, but seemed much less warm.

Given how similar in construction and pickups they are, I was surprised to hear any difference at all in a youtube demo, let alone one that compelling. So, my question would be, is that difference really there, and if so, is it that pronounced? They used the same amp for both demos, but perhaps different settings, or just how he played each day, made the difference. It's hard to imagine that .5 fewer inches of scale length, the two-piece bridge, and TCI versions of the same pickups are making that big a difference, but if they are, I'll gladly make my peace with the cosmetic differences, as the 594's are still beautiful guitars. I'm not worried about neck shape due to my positive experiences with various PRS necks, and the piezo vs coil tap question is basically a toss-up (I'd rather have both, but I'm not in PS territory with my price range). Still, if I could make an HBII sound like the 594 HB does in those demos by turning knobs on my amp or whatever, on balance I'd rather go that route. Somewhere between difficult to impossible to play both before buying, so: advice?

For reference, I own several PRSi across the Core, Bolt-on, and SE lines, all with different neck shapes, and really enjoy all of them. This would be my first fully new Core PRS, so I'm a bit in "just right" mode with it. Thanks in advance!

Oh! Should mention I've read all the threads on this topic I could find, but many of those seemed to focus on piezo/coil tap or neck shape differences, or involve private stock vs. Core differences, or use older model pickups of one compared to a new one of another. That was all informative, but I didn't find one that directly spoke to this question, hence making this post. Thanks!

Howdy and welcome! I have owned a 594 HB and own a 594 SC HB. To my ears they sounds extremely similar and ended up selling the HB, mostly because I really like the feel of the SB (and it was a gift from my wife so it's always going to stay). It, also, was my first guitar with the toggle on the horn, but I can say, you will get used to it very quickly. I'm sorry I don't have the experience of the HBII, but I will say, I LOVE the 594, the feel, and the sound it produces! I hope others here can provide more in depth answers to the comparison in tonal differences. By the way, it was a video comparing the tonal differences that made me go with the Santana Retro over the DGT and I do NOT regret my decision! Food for thought...

I have both a 594 HB II and two HBs, but my HBs are both older versions with the Archtop pickups which are noticeably darker than the 594 HB’s 58/15LTs. Either can be set up for an incredibly good sound, and both play very pleasingly. The switching location is no issue for me, as I played SGs and Les Pauls for years and they share the same top/bottom switching arrangements.

I would imagine that the same pickups would have far less differences than mine exhibit. I should also note that my HBs are both spruce tops, which I think adds to the character of the tone and further makes my guitars sound more different than if they all had maple tops.

All that said, they are both spectacular guitars, and I can’t imagine you being dissatisfied with either. If the 594 is checking all the boxes for you tone-wise, it seems an obvious choice. You won’t be disappointed either way!

And welcome to the forum (officially)!

Last edited:
I have both a HBii and 594HBii and find them 'similar' enough to be interchangeable. There are differences, but considering the Bridge, the scale length and the difference in Finish (my 594 has the newer Nitro over CAB finish) let alone any 'differences' you'd expect between natural materials, they both seem similar enough to be 'interchangeable' and use either.

In fact, I could 'sell' one, if it wasn't for the fact that my HBii has a Piezo system and even using that to blend in to the Magnetic tones in the most simplest way gives it something 'unique' and the 594 has individual tone/volume pots with independent coil splitting too - allowing you to blend the two pickups, have different volume/tone' settings between Bridge & Neck (which can be useful to switch between quickly using just the toggle switch) and of course the range of tonal options you have due to the independent tone/volume and coil splitting options the 594 offers - which makes it 'unique' between my hollowbodies.

At its most 'basic', the 3 tonal options these two can share are similar enough that the choice should really come down to the different range of tones these offer. The 594 can never provide the Shimmer of a Piezo blended in on top of those '3' and you can't recreate the sound of blending in a bit of single coil neck with the tone rolled down to the bridge HB like you can on the 594 so it really depends on what you want/need.

If you want/need a Piezo and all that can offer, go for the HBii or if you want the Magnetic tonal possibilities you can get from 2 HB's, each with their own independent controls, go for the 594. Otherwise go for the one you find most comfortable, better to your 'ear' in the shop when you try them. In my opinion, it just comes down to Piezo or Coil Splits as to which one you should buy FIRST!

Thank you all so much, this was all very helpful! Given the feedback here, I'm thinking I'll keep my eye on both, see if I can find a way to play one, and let the market decide (on which I buy FIRST!) by which offers me a deal first. I'll post back when I pull the trigger. Again, thanks so much!

I'd say grab a 594, then use your first bonus check on an SE HB Piezo. They're really well made, and you get the best of all options - more guitars!
Ya’ know, the thought had crossed my mind… funny enough I actually briefly owned one, but that individual guitar was a train wreck. A friend of mine bought a high-end Martin from the same shop on the same day, and it also had serious issues, so I think it was something with the shop rather than an indictment of the line itself. Without exception, every other SE experience I’ve had has been uniformly positive, so I’m really glad to have it verified that my experience there was a one-off. Given that, the buy a 594 and pick up an SE plan is making a whole lot of sense.

Thank you again!

Back