McCarty 594 HB2 - demo

Awesome guitar. My "If I hit the Lotto Guitar " ... So beautiful and great sounding , its probably worth the $6K +++ asked for it. :)

But, from a "wiseacre" that know more about specs and other unimportant stuff, as opposed to being able to play it...
The nomenclature is "594" , a reference to its 24.594 scale length, about a half inch shorter than PRS's standard scale length of 25". More Gibsony and an inch shorter than Fenders' 25 5 looong scale length....

"Shorties" can and DO sound awesome. Now to find the $6K to buy an off the rack one ...

thanks for checking this out...thanks also for sharing the correct info which I found out after I shot the vid and just didn't have the ump to shoot again. I hate misspeaking like that. If you get one, or when you get one, please share it with us!

thanks for checking this out...thanks also for sharing the correct info which I found out after I shot the vid and just didn't have the ump to shoot again. I hate misspeaking like that. If you get one, or when you get one, please share it with us!

Dude ,

I'd gladly trade what I think I "know" about guitars, to be able to play as well as you in the demo ! :)

If I were to buy a "trophy" guitar, It would surely be a Core McCarty 594 Hollowbody II (I think it's II) . It is a glorious guitar, and made using processes that surely justify its relatively high price. But the way you make it sound here
almost makes me think the extra cosmetic stuff may be part of why it sounds so cool ...;)

I'd settle for an "off the rack version" (standard factory production) and only hope to develop the skills to make it sound as good as it can ...

Thanks for sharing.

Hi All,
Wonder if the aficionados' out there can help me understand the different types of hollow bodies?

I've seen HB2's, double tops, McCartys, 594 McCartys, library versions, etc. etc. etc. My head is swimming and on the PRS site the have two sections listed with the same HB name, ?????

I can't seem to decipher any genealogy for the PRS guitars.

THX
B

Hi All,
Wonder if the aficionados' out there can help me understand the different types of hollow bodies?

I've seen HB2's, double tops, McCartys, 594 McCartys, library versions, etc. etc. etc. My head is swimming and on the PRS site the have two sections listed with the same HB name, ?????

I can't seem to decipher any genealogy for the PRS guitars.

THX
B

Well. under the heading "A little Bit of Knowledge is Dangerous" I can speak more to the newly introduced SE line of Hollowbodies.

I am actively "market researching" them, as my next PRS target is gonna be one of those guys. They are not cheap (pricing from $1K to 1.55K ) ... but they represent great values for what they are in the guitar world.

The "Standard" (which is beautiful) is a all mahogany, no-frills , player get down model that apparently will allow even us novice guys to sound like Pat Metheny or BB King (please excuse the skills hyperbole) . But it does killer jazz and rock tones even for us nubes ...

SE Hollowbody II ...is essentially the same guitar , but with maple top and back, to allow for extra pretty flamey stuff (when PRS decides to do it) . Some will tell you maple sounds " brighter"... But I think that is largely old wives tale stuff, and if it does sound "brighter", I'm thinking the tone knob will "standardize " if for ya.

The The Piezo, same as the HB2, but with a cool piezo-electric pickup added, so that "acoustic guitar " tones can be attempted ... all in the same guitar. It also up's the pretty quotient with the cooler binding & fretboard birds.

All these guys are 25" scale, and "laminate" construction. From what I understand, laminate are really thin sheets of wood smushed together to form a single sheet.

Laminate is said to be not as cool as "solid" (one piece) of wood, but some of the coolest guitar tones we wanna hear , come from laminate construction guitars (Gibson ES 335)

The Core, is a crazy beast. I have only seen some videos of the PRS factory, where they show what I think is a hollowbody under construction.

Starts out a solid chunk (plank) of killa-dilla wood (mahogany) for the bottom... that is routed out (!) to leave only the sides and I'm confused on this as to where the mounting block comes from for the bridge and neck pocket. Maybe from the routed out bottom ???

Anyways, the manufacturing approach on the core is waay more expensive as there are no economies " like laminating" , as the top & bottom are also routed to create the hollow cavity (Geezopizza !)

Think of it as a Porsche 911, milled from a single ingot of galvanized steel !!!!:eek:

Then it gets worse, because if like I suspect , the guitar in the video, is probably not "off the rack" but ""10 Top", Wood Library of even Private Stock ) ... all of which turbocharges the pretty.

Priced like if defense contractors Boeing or General Dynamics were to make you a toaster !

The difference here being, the finished CrazyCore guitar, would be worth the trouble and money , and work right outta the box! :cool:

Dude ,

I'd gladly trade what I think I "know" about guitars, to be able to play as well as you in the demo ! :)

If I were to buy a "trophy" guitar, It would surely be a Core McCarty 594 Hollowbody II (I think it's II) . It is a glorious guitar, and made using processes that surely justify its relatively high price. But the way you make it sound here
almost makes me think the extra cosmetic stuff may be part of why it sounds so cool ...;)

I'd settle for an "off the rack version" (standard factory production) and only hope to develop the skills to make it sound as good as it can ...

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks so much for checking this out and the very kind words, sincerely appreciated. I hope you find you just the right PRS, or perhaps PRS's!
dale

https://willcuttguitars.com/collect...wbody-ii-flame-maple-non-10-top-antique-white
Willcutt has a non-594 hollowbody in white right now... might be worth a gander
Already have the non-piezo Spruce version of that in white... a beautiful and wonderful instrument in its own right! I’ve been looking for the 594 version for over a year. Every great now and again, one pops up. I wanted to order one with a few special things but no go... stock options only or Private Stock at double the cost and up are your only options right now. I saw a blood orange 594 Semi-HB Ltd on Reverb at a decent price... tempted, very tempted. Not white, but a gorgeous guitar.

https://reverb.com/item/36728084-pa...mi-hollow-limited-edition-blood-orange-10-top

Last edited:
The McCarty Hollowbody 2 is my next ....... I found one that was absolutely gorgeous in natural flame maple but, too rich for my blood

thx for checking this out..hope all is well in Music City.

Well, after much thought and some more thought:cool:, the Hollow body II Piezo Antique White is MINE!, it will be a couple weeks before i get her outta layaway, so hang on!!

Well, after much thought and some more thought:cool:, the Hollow body II Piezo Antique White is MINE!, it will be a couple weeks before i get her outta layaway, so hang on!!

can't wait to see this one!

Back