McCarty 594 Gig Bag/Case Options - What’s Everyone Using?

EatSleepGuitar

So I absolutely abhor the idea of hauling the paisley case to every gig and practice; it’s a tank and the tolex too nice to beat up like that.

What’s everyone hauling their 594’s in?

I have a nylon PRS gig bag that came with my Vela, and I know the slightly more plush gig bags that the silver skies come with are decent too.

However I’m looking for something a little more robust with maybe some neck support?

Tough to find double-cut cases that aren’t:
A. For SG’s
B. For guitars like strats that don’t have tilt-back necks
C. So sloppy in fitment that they actually pose a risk to the axe just from pressure points.

Gator makes enticing options but boy are they pricey (the G-icon particularly). More expensive than the multi-fit PRS cases which are just too unwieldy.

Toss me some ideas/links?

I use a Reunion Blues RBCE1 gig bag. Both of my 594s (SC and DC) fit into it nicely. The "Flexoskeleton" seems to work well for protection. I use it regularly for gigging (where I am the primary handler).

EDIT: Oh, and I got mine on sale, so the price wasn't as much of a pain-point, but even at normal "street" pricing I think they are pretty fine cases!

Last edited:
I take my PRS out in a Mono bag regularly. They're tough and have enough room for a binder/laptop in the pouch AND me pedal train nano can mount on the bag.

The only drawback is if you grab the bag at the headstock with the non-vintage tuners, it will push the g and d string out of tune.

I take my PRS out in a Mono bag regularly. They're tough and have enough room for a binder/laptop in the pouch AND me pedal train nano can mount on the bag.

The only drawback is if you grab the bag at the headstock with the non-vintage tuners, it will push the g and d string out of tune.
Mine (unfortunately) has the vintage tuners, silver lining I guess?

Mine (unfortunately) has the vintage tuners, silver lining I guess?
I don't know the exact model my bag is. I guess it's more of a sleeve. I got it go carry guitars across campus when I was in college. I'm sure the thicker ones actually suspend the headstock enough not to interfere with the tuning keys.

I use a Mono bag for my CU24, never had a concern with this bag, fits snug, protects the guitar and easy to carry.

I like taking two guitars to practice or gigs.
For that I use a Reunion Blues RBX. No worries... I'll happily put my WL 594 or anything else in it.

I used the old-fashioned Reunion Blues leather gig bags for traveling to sessions in and out of the US for many years. It didn't have a neck support, it fit a lot of guitars, and you couldn't put a laptop in it. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to add a laptop to the weight of a gig bag, at that point might as well carry the hard case.

Never an issue, never a ding/dent/problem, and all I had to do was be ever so slightly careful with the guitar. Being a bit careful is not a problem with something I hand-carry, as one does a gig bag. The leather was tough and highly protective, and the padding was closed-cell foam (not the typical soft open-cell stuff that only minimally protects).

The finest high-protection gig bag I ever owned or examined, in terms of protection and phoophery, was the Incase John Mayer bag (I used it with my CU22 Soapbar). I'll be honest: it was overkill, but I think it would've survived WWIII.

On the other hand, there are times I think we guitar players overthink our needs with various frills that are almost never needed.

I have a Gator Pro-Go Dual guitar gig bag that I have absolutely no qualms about putting my 594 into. It isn't cheap, but that's the point. It isn't CHEAP. Is you piece of mind worth $200 (or $275 for the dual)? Mine is.

I love Mono and Levy's bags...have a few of each.
The one criteria I have (besides great padding/protection) is that the zipper stops short of going around the butt of the instrument.
This might seam silly to some, but it's something I like...

I use Gator “hybrid” cases. They are soft, light, offer excellent protection, and a good value. I have a Mono bag and think it is overrated, pricey, and offers less protection than Gators. I never use it.

Last edited:
Back