McCarty 594 Core Model Review Please !

matt_prs

Hi Guys,

I've just taken a leap of faith and ordered a Core Model McCarty 594 without ever previously picking one up; with that being said and for the purposes of feeling reassured, could I please trouble anyone who currently owns that model to share their experiences on how it feels and sounds ?

I'm very much a Singlecut short scale guy, so I'm desperately hoping I instantly bond with this guitar.

Thank you in advance,

Very Respectfully,

Matt

Last edited:
You've probably watched all the PRS demos - here's a new one from a UK dealer.

Matt, I went leap of faith on the GOM McCarty 594. Bonded almost immediately. My number one was a 2013 R9. Very similar neck feel to me. The scale length of the 594 felt right at home. I know many hate the pick up selector location on the 594, but aesthetics aside, it feels natural to an LP player. Two volume/2 tone was one of the primary reasons I pulled the trigger. The other being scale length.

I can only speak to my R9, but the 594 is not a LP. As the saying goes, same church different pews. The R9 seems to have more girth in the sound. The 594 is more articulate. The splits add a nice added dimension to the tone possibilities. It has the usual PRS attributes of beautiful finish, easy playability and well balanced.

I very much like the 85/15 or 15/85's (I can never remember which is the covered number). They seem very vintage inspired to me.

The 594 and the R9 are the only guitars that had not even one minute of buyer.'s remorse for me.

Matt, I went leap of faith on the GOM McCarty 594. Bonded almost immediately. My number one was a 2013 R9. Very similar neck feel to me. The scale length of the 594 felt right at home. I know many hate the pick up selector location on the 594, but aesthetics aside, it feels natural to an LP player. Two volume/2 tone was one of the primary reasons I pulled the trigger. The other being scale length.

I can only speak to my R9, but the 594 is not a LP. As the saying goes, same church different pews. The R9 seems to have more girth in the sound. The 594 is more articulate. The splits add a nice added dimension to the tone possibilities. It has the usual PRS attributes of beautiful finish, easy playability and well balanced.

I very much like the 85/15 or 15/85's (I can never remember which is the covered number). They seem very vintage inspired to me.

The 594 and the R9 are the only guitars that had not even one minute of buyer.'s remorse for me.
Thanks tiboy for the response. I too own an R9 and I love that neck profile. Honestly the toggle switch on the upper horn is a big draw card for me because it's so similar to the singlecut design. In addition to my singlecuts, I also own a couple of regular McCarty's and whilst they're excellent, I find the 25" scale just slightly uncomfortable, hence my tendancy to gravitate towards the shorter scale singlecut guitars.

I've ordered a core model artist package 594 with full rosewood neck...fingers crossed its amazing.

Matt

Last edited:
58/15s are covered, 85/15s are not. :) I believe the 594s may have the LT (Low Turn) version of 85/15s?

I'm desperately hoping I instantly bond with this guitar.

Thank you in advance,

Very Respectfully,

Matt

Me too. Just bought one today. Haven't plugged it in yet. I'm still pinching myself to see if I am dreaming. It will be fine. I'm already calling it a Les Paul Killer. hahahaha

Me too. Just bought one today. Haven't plugged it in yet. I'm still pinching myself to see if I am dreaming. It will be fine. I'm already calling it a Les Paul Killer. hahahaha
Hi Hangar18, when you get a spare moment, would you mind giving me me your thoughts on the 594...I'm super keen to hear anything anyone has to say :)

Regards,

Matt

I didn't get to play mine for too long last night because of my amp issues (see my thread in the amp forum), but for the brief time I was playing, I absolutely loved it. I don't want to provide much of a review at this point, though because I can't be sure how much of the great tone was from the new amp (before it went wonky) and how much was from the guitar.

I didn't get to play mine for too long last night because of my amp issues (see my thread in the amp forum), but for the brief time I was playing, I absolutely loved it. I don't want to provide much of a review at this point, though because I can't be sure how much of the great tone was from the new amp (before it went wonky) and how much was from the guitar.

Same here (except no wonky amp). I was pretty tired after the drive and experience festivities...so looking forward to more quality time later today...but the 594 so far...in a word, WOW!

Matt, I played an artist pkg version of the production 594 yesterday at CR Guitars.

All I can say is: wow. And -- as I think you know -- I speak as the [now former] owner of a vintage Les Paul with PAFs and the whole package. (it was a boogered-up '52 that ended up being turned into a '59 by arguably the best guy in the business) I thought the 594 came closer, overall, to the vintage Gibson in terms of feel, look, and sound, than any of PRS' previous efforts in that direction. Including, notably, the Hammer of the Gods single-cut. Caveat: I haven't played any of the "Miss February" run.

It was also way better, in all respects, than any of the bazillion R9s I've played & owned.

Bottom line is, if I wanted to have a guitar with that feel, look, and sound, I'd have bought that 594 then and there.

It was also way better, in all respects, than any of the bazillion R9s I've played & owned.

Bottom line is, if I wanted to have a guitar with that feel, look, and sound, I'd have bought that 594 then and there.

You just got me off the fence re: ordering one.

Update: Ordered one of Jack's WL run. Done!

Last edited:
I haven't played a 594 either but have owned and played the plethora of vintage, and reissue historic LP's in vast quantities, including owning 3 of the first 60 cloud nine R9's.

I have a PS 594 on order, but I've been playing full scale guitars for the past 7 years. I was about to go for a True Historic, but got the PRS itch. I am very excited to hear what everyone thinks of this guitar, be it good, bad, or ugly.

And best wishes are extended to those of you who have already decided to try a 594. :)

Back