McCarty 594 bridge differences

wulftone

I've noticed that some 594's come with, for lack of a better term, "long/flat saddles", and some with more traditional Les Paul style saddles.

nzKQSHb.png

9uYAmtA.png

Anyone know the story here? I've seen both styles on Core, S2, and Private Stock guitars. Can anyone order the type they want? Anyone notice a sound difference? I've only ever played the "long/flat" ones.

I wonder why they have different versions...

Last edited:
My understanding is that the "les paul" style saddles were only fitted when the guitar model was first created/tested (beta so to say) and since then they've all been fitted with the flat ones.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong or provide further details!

Funny, almost every listing on Reverb shows the Les Paul style. I've been through over a hundred just looking at the photos. I like the flat ones, too. I'm thinking of getting an S2 594 to complement my Core 594, so I'd hope it comes that way.

Funny, almost every listing on Reverb shows the Les Paul style. I've been through over a hundred just looking at the photos. I like the flat ones, too. I'm thinking of getting an S2 594 to complement my Core 594, so I'd hope it comes that way.

I must be dead wrong. I swear I looked this up a year or two ago. Don't take any significance in what I'm saying but after some quick research it looks like the guitars that have the vintage-style tuners tend to have that style of saddle while the locking tuners tend to have the flatter ones. Then again I'm probably building a flawed statistical interpretation.

Hope someone can clarify.

Mine have the flat saddles. I just looked at the new models on the PRS website, and they appear to have flat saddles, with the vintage style tuners.

PRS has been known to experiment with hardware, though.

Yeah I see that on the PRS site now. I hope Vazzy is right and these guitars on Reverb are the exception, not the rule. The flat style saddles feel nice under the hand. I'll try a local dealer instead of Reverb, despite covid.

The smaller saddles were an update for the 2020 models. Although, some 2020 guitars do have the flat saddles. They would have changed after the flat saddle inventory was depleted. It’s talked about in this video, briefly.

Jim:
Did I miss it? Very cool video, but I didn’t hear any discussion about the saddles (which I’d like to learn more about). :confused:

Jim:
Did I miss it? Very cool video, but I didn’t hear any discussion about the saddles (which I’d like to learn more about). :confused:
Maybe. I didn’t rewatch it. But, I thought it was in this video where Howard said Paul had sent him the new bridge to try out. Maybe it was in another video. Might have been something to do with the break angle of the string.

Jim:
6:30.....Howard says the bridge has been shaved down. I know there was some video I saw referring to the difference. Can’t remember where/who, though. Foggy brain.

I've got three McCarty 594's and I had to go look to see what kind of bridges I have. Two 2016's and a 2019. All three have the wide saddles. But I'm guessing that if I ever bought any more 594's that they would have the narrow bridge saddles.

The smaller saddles were an update for the 2020 models. Although, some 2020 guitars do have the flat saddles. They would have changed after the flat saddle inventory was depleted. It’s talked about in this video, briefly.

That video is the very reason I bought a new McCarty last year!

Very interesting about the bridge changes on the 594. Now I want to try one.

I just bought a new 594 a few weeks ago. 2020 serial #, but made in 1/21. Phase III tuners and the new Les Paul style saddles.

Yeah I see that on the PRS site now. I hope Vazzy is right and these guitars on Reverb are the exception, not the rule. The flat style saddles feel nice under the hand. I'll try a local dealer instead of Reverb, despite covid.

Actually, in looking closer at the S2 color option photos, some have the Les Paul style saddles, e.g. the Eriza Verde. Maybe because that's a newer color?

Honestly I'm shocked, I could have sworn I saw posts/discussions about this a year ago! I remember this exact same saddle on the 594 as I was looking to purchase one while doing my research. I was fairly confident in my post too! Maybe I'm just clairvoyant? o_O

Anyone measure these yet? How much taller are the " LP style" ones, from the plane of the bridge piece?

If one were to swap out the saddles (either way), I imagine that would require several other setup adjustments to maintain string height. Right?

Anyone measure these yet? How much taller are the " LP style" ones, from the plane of the bridge piece?

If one were to swap out the saddles (either way), I imagine that would require several other setup adjustments to maintain string height. Right?

I swapped the two different type of bridges in between my early 2020 SC594 and later 2020 594 S2. Zero string height adjustment required.

The tonal difference is subtle to my ear, slightly more low mid (or less high) from the square type saddles. Personally I prefer the LP tyle on SC594 and square type on the DC.

Back