McCarty 594 bridge differences

Well crap, what am I supposed to do with this obselete 594? :p
No doubt, y’all need to send me all of your obsolete 594s for, um, destruction... yes, that’s it. You don’t want to be seen with fat saddles! Don’t be a square (Or a rectangle)! Then you get a nice, new 2021 for yourself and you’re good to go. Win-win!

I own a Core 594 McCarty Singlecut and I just got a brand new S2 McCarty 594 Thinline and landed here after noticing that the bridge was digging into the side of my hand a lot. I never noticed this with my Core which has the fat saddles.

Has anyone else noticed that the newer saddles feel a little harsher than the older fat saddles?

I'm thinking I may try to find one of the older bridges.

If one wanted to get the flatter saddles, is it possible to replace just the saddles, or would an entire different bridge be needed?

I made a rookie mistake when I set up my 594 this week. The saddle bridge fell off when i restrung the guitar. No biggie. Happens all the time. I put it back on, not realizing it was backwards. And then I wondered why I was getting buzzing and my intonation was way off. My Zach myers sounded so much better. It was killing me why the core didn’t sound as good. Googled some photos of the bridge and realized my mistake 5 days later. Moral of the story: flipping the bridge is less than ideal. Even though it looks flat it is not. See the first photo. I’m use to the newer S2’s which I believe have the beveled saddles, so it’s fairly obvious the direction. This is older core. Needless to say intonation is spot on and it rings like crazy!
hSKbZ01.jpg

W98qN5R.jpeg

Next time I’ll use painters tape to hold the bridge on the guitar while doing string changes.

Hadn't noted that this is an old thread but wanted to confirm the LP saddles on my '22 S2 594 SC

BPD38243-copy.jpg

I swapped the two different type of bridges in between my early 2020 SC594 and later 2020 594 S2. Zero string height adjustment required.

The tonal difference is subtle to my ear, slightly more low mid (or less high) from the square type saddles. Personally I prefer the LP tyle on SC594 and square type on the DC.

Also a little late to this thread, but would you or anyone happen to know with absolute certainty if there's any string height difference between these two saddle types? The reason I ask is because I just bought a McCarty 594 that has the LP-style saddle shape, and the bridge thumbwheels are within about 1/16" from completely bottoming out. I'd like to lower the action a bit more, so if there's any chance whatsoever that the flatter, square-type saddles don't sit quite as high on the bridge as the LP-style, I could potentially keep a little more of a gap between the thumbwheels and the guitar top. To my eyes, it just appears that the photos I'm seeing of the flatter saddles look a bit lower than the Gibson-style, but maybe not. Thanks in advance!

Also a little late to this thread, but would you or anyone happen to know with absolute certainty if there's any string height difference between these two saddle types? The reason I ask is because I just bought a McCarty 594 that has the LP-style saddle shape, and the bridge thumbwheels are within about 1/16" from completely bottoming out. I'd like to lower the action a bit more, so if there's any chance whatsoever that the flatter, square-type saddles don't sit quite as high on the bridge as the LP-style, I could potentially keep a little more of a gap between the thumbwheels and the guitar top. To my eyes, it just appears that the photos I'm seeing of the flatter saddles look a bit lower than the Gibson-style, but maybe not. Thanks in advance!
I don't think there is any real height difference between the two, just the shape as the go up to the string. The depth of the string slot is what really determines the height of the string from the bridge. You could file the slot deeper if you need the string to set lower. Just be sure to keep the radius of the fretboard across the saddles.

I don't think there is any real height difference between the two, just the shape as the go up to the string. The depth of the string slot is what really determines the height of the string from the bridge. You could file the slot deeper if you need the string to set lower. Just be sure to keep the radius of the fretboard across the saddles.
Thanks for your quick reply! I had a hunch that might be the case. I might do as you've suggested sometime down the road, but I think I'll just leave the saddles alone for now. Thanks again!

I made a rookie mistake when I set up my 594 this week. The saddle bridge fell off when i restrung the guitar. No biggie. Happens all the time. I put it back on, not realizing it was backwards. And then I wondered why I was getting buzzing and my intonation was way off. My Zach myers sounded so much better. It was killing me why the core didn’t sound as good. Googled some photos of the bridge and realized my mistake 5 days later. Moral of the story: flipping the bridge is less than ideal. Even though it looks flat it is not. See the first photo. I’m use to the newer S2’s which I believe have the beveled saddles, so it’s fairly obvious the direction. This is older core. Needless to say intonation is spot on and it rings like crazy!
hSKbZ01.jpg

W98qN5R.jpeg

Next time I’ll use painters tape to hold the bridge on the guitar while doing string changes.
Or change the strings one at a time !

Just an update here, but I ended up returning the 594 and exchanging it for another one. The one I have now doesn't have the bottoming-out issue, so I won't need to address the saddle heights, either. Still, I've seen this bridge height (or neck angle) issue on a couple of 594s now. If one is buying new and looking to have low to medium-low action, it's probably a good idea to check the available amount of travel on the bridge posts, particularly if the action is set a little too high to begin with. The bridge on the 594 that I returned clearly bottomed out before getting the action that I prefer.

Just an update here, but I ended up returning the 594 and exchanging it for another one. The one I have now doesn't have the bottoming-out issue, so I won't need to address the saddle heights, either. Still, I've seen this bridge height (or neck angle) issue on a couple of 594s now. If one is buying new and looking to have low to medium-low action, it's probably a good idea to check the available amount of travel on the bridge posts, particularly if the action is set a little too high to begin with. The bridge on the 594 that I returned clearly bottomed out before getting the action that I prefer.
Glad you sorted it, so does the one you have now have the Gibson style new saddles and if so does it sound different acoustically ?

Glad you sorted it, so does the one you have now have the Gibson style new saddles and if so does it sound different acoustically ?
Yeah, both of the 594s were new, and since both had the newer Gibson-style saddles on them, I wasn't able to compare the two different saddle styles. The second 594 that I got does sound a little deeper and fatter in the low and low-mids without being muddy, but that likely has more to do with the wood itself. It's also just a tad heavier than the first one. All in all, though, I'm pretty happy with it, and it joins my '09 Ted!

Yeah, both of the 594s were new, and since both had the newer Gibson-style saddles on them, I wasn't able to compare the two different saddle styles. The second 594 that I got does sound a little deeper and fatter in the low and low-mids without being muddy, but that likely has more to do with the wood itself. It's also just a tad heavier than the first one. All in all, though, I'm pretty happy with it, and it joins my '09 Ted!

I would love to have tried out a Ted double cut. I have the single cut version. Mine is not a 10 top but there is something special about the guitar. Everyone I have let play it says that same thing. It just rings out on every note. It is just one of those ones you find every so often that just went together right. I don't play mine all that much but I don't think I could ever sell it due to how I like it when I do play it. I compared it to a number of my other single cut guitars, one was a PRS, and my Ted came out the winner of all of them. I did this with a friend and we both agreed easily on the winner. We also play a bit different types of music but both like my Ted the most.

I would love to have tried out a Ted double cut. I have the single cut version. Mine is not a 10 top but there is something special about the guitar. Everyone I have let play it says that same thing. It just rings out on every note. It is just one of those ones you find every so often that just went together right. I don't play mine all that much but I don't think I could ever sell it due to how I like it when I do play it. I compared it to a number of my other single cut guitars, one was a PRS, and my Ted came out the winner of all of them. I did this with a friend and we both agreed easily on the winner. We also play a bit different types of music but both like my Ted the most.
Yeah, this Ted has always been a pretty special guitar for me. I bought it slightly used toward the end of the recession in late 2009 or early 2010. It was also at a time when I had already accumulated a few PRS guitars among other brands, but in the end this was the only PRS that remained. It's sort of wired like a DGT in that I put a double concentric pot in one position that controls the bridge pickup volume and tone, and the other push/pull pot controls the neck pickup volume and master splitting. It looks a little weird, but I've always liked having a separate volume control for each pickup. Of course, the 594 comes with a similar arrangement, so it was a no-brainer! I'm really digging both of these guitars, though! Don't tell anyone over at TGP, but I sold my last Historic '58 Les Paul to buy the 594.......LOL.

EDIT: BTW, I had a Ted singlecut for a short while. I bought it because I liked the doublecut so much and thought it would be nice to have a singlecut as well. Unfortunately, it just didn't have that "special" thing going on, so I sold it.

Last edited:
I wonder if anybody has tried a bridge with the old style saddles and a new bridge with the new trapezium saddles on the same guitar as I am going to give it ago, I think, just want to hear the tonal difference especially acoustically not for comfort or looks ?

I wonder if anybody has tried a bridge with the old style saddles and a new bridge with the new trapezium saddles on the same guitar as I am going to give it ago, I think, just want to hear the tonal difference especially acoustically not for comfort or looks ?
I'd like to try that myself. If I could find an older bridge with the flatter saddles, I'd buy it! When I went looking for one on Reverb, though, I noticed that several bridges are available, but the problem is that most of the sellers are using images of bridges with the older saddles but are actually selling them with the newer saddles. I've asked a couple of them, and both confirmed this.

Back