musicfan123456

Hello,
Forgive me if it’s been asked before, but was hoping some people could weigh in on their opinions of the older McCarty 594s vs the post-2020 ones with the updates / changes. I’m aware the main differences are nitro finish, TCI Pickups, tuners, and maybe the bridge. Do you think a used 2020 one would be worth $500+ more than a 2017 used one? Thanks

Good point. I love the yellow/orange classic mccarty sunburst which is available in all years. I remember when the updates first came out, everybody was praising the 2020 ones as light years better than the original ones. But, sometimes once the hype settles down people change their minds. I’m sure the 2020 ones are upgraded, but wondering on the used market if they’re worth the price tag jump. I’m leaning toward the 2017 one

No two guitars are alike so it is a crap shoot. Add to that equation the various tops and colors, etc and you really have to go after what you like (sonically and cosmetically). The market is always what the buyer is willing to pay and the seller is willing to take. Always negotiate!

Good point. I love the yellow/orange classic mccarty sunburst which is available in all years. I remember when the updates first came out, everybody was praising the 2020 ones as light years better than the original ones. But, sometimes once the hype settles down people change their minds. I’m sure the 2020 ones are upgraded, but wondering on the used market if they’re worth the price tag jump. I’m leaning toward the 2017 one
I definitely wouldn't say the 2020 is light years better than the original. But, there is something "more" about the 2020. Whether that has something to do with the TCI treatment of the pickups, or the Nitro/CAB finish is open to debate. Having said that, the 2020 is not $500 "better", IMO, on the used market. If the top and finishes both spoke to me, I'd grab the 2017.

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I’m going to buy the 2017 one. It’s in great shape, 10-Top in the color I want, and it’s ~$500 cheaper than the 2020 one after all the fees since one is a local sale and the other is not. Thanks

If it's the finish you want and cheaper, don't worry about changes and snag that one.

I wouldn’t worry a bit about getting an older one. Not saying the improvements don’t matter but I have old McCarty models I like just as much. The people it might matter most to are the one that HAVE to have nitro. I like the 2 nitro PRS I have but again, I have old poly models that sound and resonate just as well. Heck, I blew my TCI in my 594 by throwing my 5708 in the bridge position! Already said, but all guitars are different. Get whichever speaks to you, I’m sure you’ll be happy either way.

My 2019 594 SC quickly became my #1 and remains my #1. If you bond with it, not much else matters.

Hello,
Forgive me if it’s been asked before, but was hoping some people could weigh in on their opinions of the older McCarty 594s vs the post-2020 ones with the updates / changes. I’m aware the main differences are nitro finish, TCI Pickups, tuners, and maybe the bridge. Do you think a used 2020 one would be worth $500+ more than a 2017 used one? Thanks

2020+ 594's are slightly different a 'revised' 594 if you want incorporating 'minor' tweaks inc a change in Finish (Nitro over CAB), Vintage non-locking tuners and the TCI process applied to the 58/15 LT's.

I have a 2016 594 DC and a 2019 (2020 spec without the Vintage Tuners) 594 HBii DC but I can't tell you what 'difference' the 'new' TCI process or Finish makes because you have subtle differences between guitars due to the 'natural' materials used, there is a difference between a Solid body and Hollowbody tone etc and I also have a 2018 HBiii with 58/15 LT's too but can't tell if the subtle difference in tone is related to the TCI process, different finish, different scale length, different bridge etc...

The only way to tell if a guitar is 'worth' paying more for to you is to try both together and decide if one sounds, plays and/or feels that much better that to you, its worth paying more. You may prefer the older style - even if its for something as simple as 'locking tuners' - not that it makes any difference to tuning stability if you know how to wind strings properly but does make string changes a bit quicker/easier. But that may influence your decision as swapping to locking tuners will make the 'newer' model even more expensive.

Anyway, the point is unless you yourself try these guitars, you'll never know whether you could of saved money on the 'older' version or maybe should have paid more for the newer version - that difference in price could be more down to condition/age too of course, more than the difference in specs. But I can't tell you if you will be 'happier' with the older or newer spec as that is only something you can decide - but I can tell you that they are superb instruments and if you really don't like one, you'll not find one you do like regardless - at least not 'stock spec' because they are incredibly similar and consistent.

I have a 2018 DC594 and a 2021 SC594. The obvious body shape/weight is the main difference. I replaced the 2021's tuners to PRS vintage locking tuners. The SC has the "+" pickups. As stated above, the 2021 is a nitro finish while the 2018 is poly. Both finishes feel great with the 2018 neck feeling like it has a slightly thicker finish. I am not sure if its the body mass difference or something, but the 2021 SC is incredibly resonate with great sustain when played without an amp. Both guitars are fantastic and I would gladly purchase them both again. Good luck as you cannot go wrong with the 594 from any year.

I wouldn’t worry a bit about getting an older one. Not saying the improvements don’t matter but I have old McCarty models I like just as much. The people it might matter most to are the one that HAVE to have nitro. I like the 2 nitro PRS I have but again, I have old poly models that sound and resonate just as well. Heck, I blew my TCI in my 594 by throwing my 5708 in the bridge position! Already said, but all guitars are different. Get whichever speaks to you, I’m sure you’ll be happy either way.
I'm considering dropping a Tremonti bridge in mine.

Like @Mozzi, I have a ‘19 with ‘20 specs but still has the locking tuners (and that’s just how I wanted it). It’s the only 594 I have, but my SSH has the older finish. I can’t say I have a preference when it comes to the finish. All the other stuff… hey, I just play ‘em!

An outstanding guitar is simply an outstanding guitar. If an instrument really speaks to you, buy it. There are a lot of nice guitars out there but not a lot of outstanding ones comparatively. When you do find one, grab it and never let it go!

Back