McCarty 58 V Custom 24

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Fbomb, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Fbomb

Fbomb New Member

What are the playing differences between a McCarty 58 and a Custom 24 both in private stock?

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

You mean, besides the scale length, number of frets, thickness of body wood, neck carve, and electronics?

3. Drew

Drew New Member

Both are the same scale length.

4. WEDGE

WEDGE Almost was a FG22 owner..

Not to mention as private stocks the number of new variables greatly increases....

5. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I'm under the impression that the MC58 was 24.5 inch scale length, and the CU 24 is 25". I could be wrong.

6. nablaz

nablaz New Member

My McCarty 58 scale length is (was?) 25''. I think the Teds were 24.5''...

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Well, I stand corrected! Thanks for the info!

8. nablaz

nablaz New Member

I edit my posts too much, now the conversation doesn't make sense anymore. :D

9. Fbomb

Fbomb New Member

Model: McCarty 58
    Neck wood: East Indian rosewood
    Fingerboard wood: East Indian rosewood with curly maple binding
    Top wood: East Coast curly maple
    Back wood: Ribboned mahogany
    Headstock Veneer wood: East Indian rosewood with curly maple binding
    Neck Carve: Pattern
    Side Dots: Gold
    Color / Stain: Mocha burst
    Fingerboard inlays: 10 karat gold birds with white mother of pearl outlines
    Headstock veneer inlays: 10 karat gold Private Stock eagle with white mother of pearl outline
    Finish type: High gloss nitro
    Pickups: Treble: 57/08 Bass: 57/08
    Electronics: McCarty 58
    Hardware: Gold PRS stoptail and phase III locking tuning pegs with East Indian rosewood buttons
    Set-Up: D'Addario .010
    Case type: Private Stock leather
    Specials: Mocha burst high gloss nitro finish, 10 karat gold bird inlays with white mother of pearl outlines, white mother of pearl "MC 58" inlay on the truss rod cover as well as gold side dots. This guitar was displayed at the 2011 Experience Event.

10. Fbomb

Fbomb New Member

Model: Custom 24
    Neck wood: Figured mahogany
    Fingerboard wood: Ebony
    Top wood: Curly maple
    Back wood: Figured mahogany
    Headstock Veneer wood: Ebony
    Neck Carve: Pattern regular
    Side Dots: Green select abalone
    Color / Stain: Mocha burst
    Fingerboard inlays: Green select abalone "J" birds
    Headstock veneer inlays: Green select abalone "J" Private Stock eagle
    Finish type: High gloss nitro
    Pickups: Treble: 59/09 Bass: 59/09
    Electronics: Custom 24 with 5-way bladeswitch
    Hardware: Brass PRS two-piece stoptail with brass studs, gold locking tuning pegs with ebony buttons, bone nut and matching mahogany backplates
    Set-Up: D'Addario .010
    Case type: Private Stock Leather
    Specials: Mocha burst high gloss finish, green select abalone "J" bird inlays and side dots

11. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Private stock won't make any differences in how a CU24 compares to a McCarty, except that both will be a little slicker and better at what they are than Core. The McCarty still has the Pattern neck, the CU24 you're looking at still has the Pattern Regular, the switching systems are different, and the pickups and body thicknesses are different.

There are differences in feel due to the neck carves and the number of frets. There are differences in tone due to the placement of the pickups being different, and of course, the pickups themselves are different as are the electronics.

But everyone's hands and fingers are different, so in terms of playing differences, that's going to be a very individual thing and impossible to generalize.

Pickups are obvious - the 59/09s are a little hotter and brighter than 57/08s. A blade switch operates differently from a toggle switch with a pull-coil tap. The CU24 will have a more focused tone, the McCarty a more vintage tone.

The ebony fretboard will be a little bit crisper on the attack than the rosewood one, but the rosewood might be warmer and sweeter. Everything depends on the individual instrument.

But you asked about playing differences, and that can mean a lot of things.

So some details as to what you're interested in will help. Or just go play some CU24s and McCartys and see for yourself.

#11 LSchefman, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  12. Fbomb

Fbomb New Member

Wow. That's awesome info!! You sound like you really know your stuff. I like a crisper sound, and I'm not into heavy metal music so it doesn't really matter that much if you think they are reasonably similar. I am new to the world of guitars and this is my first PRS purchase and first electric. I think you have already answered my question!

It just seems like a lot of money to spend but from what I've read these things are keepers for life. Do you think either one is better value, or does either one suit a beginner better?

Thanks for your help dude, I really appreciate it!!

13. Alan Manning

Alan Manning Well Love a Duck Mary Poppins.!!!

If you can afford one give it plenty of thought could turn into an if only moment. awesome guitars

14. markintime

markintime Wood Grain Devotee

Given these considerations, IMHO you would be quite well suited to try out the SE line first, or even one of the S2's just to get a feel as to what works best for YOU. Then look at a core model that would fit your music preferences best. I have 2 of the SE and S2's plus a core and, at my level, I can't really justify going any higher, price-wise. At least not until I win the lottery, heh, heh. :shakehands: