McCarty 245 vs new 594

Drzoso

I thought I was done buying PRS guitars after my private stock and my "perfect" McCarty 245 DC. But now there is this new McCarty 594!! Can anyone compare to the 245 for me? Is it enough of a difference to give it a whirl? Thanks!

I have both scale lengths (P245T and DC594). Not much difference to me on the feel, but the Pattern Vintage neck carve on the 594 is my all time favorite - I ordered my P245T with the PV neck carve :)

Rest of the difference will mostly be the 58/18LT versus whatever pickups are in the 245. I haven’t tried the newer TCI pickups though. I’d choose a 594 over most other models today.

I’m still in the honeymoon period with my 594 HB, but I’m a firm believer that great guitars are largely the product of fortuitous synchronicity, and you have to judge each guitar by its own merits; some special few are just magically greater than the sum of their parts, imho. That being said, as much as I’m enjoying my McCarty 594 and appreciate the most recent refinements introduced by PRS, I have an older SC245 gold top with 245 pickups I’ve owned for years that is so musical and suits me so well that it’s going nowhere. Ever.

So, imho, you might as well get a McCarty 594 and have both.

Last edited:
I echo the 594 is one of PRSs best guitars.

In my experience , the 58 15 LT neck pickup has no equivalent in the traditional humbucker world (I’d dare say for non conventional humbuckers, I prefer my Me5s clean sound but the 594 still rules the day for gain). Splits amazingly well too.

Secondly my 2017 594 sustains like no other guitar except my Bonabyrd . It’s like having a compressor on all the time without losing any dynamism, electricity beneath the fingers.

I have an old pre lawsuit SC as well which is a wonderful rock machine but the 594 is much more subtle and versatile . I use my 594 for every genre including djenty metal on occasion

Do note that my 594 has been my #1 for 5 years so it may be suffering from the benefits of being played in and my personal bias

Great guitar, do it! My recently acquired Singlecut Semi-hollow 594 and DC 594 have become my 1 and 2 respectively. Maybe it's the honeymoon phase, but my Paul's guitar which was number 1 has been given my dirty looks. Let's see the pics when you get it.

My vote is for the 594 (for all of the reasons mentioned in this post) and don't look back. For me personnaly, it is the LT pickups.

They're two takes of the same idea, I don't necessarily see the value of the upgrade.

Bottom line they're both PAF style SCs, 0.094" scale length isn't going to make or break the sound.

That's from the artist perspective.

The collector says go for it.

Back