MC-58 Bridge / Action Issues

Paint Can

My MC-58’s action is higher than I like - higher than my Strat and Tele with 9.5” radius necks. It chokes out if I’m not careful bending around the 10th to 15th frets on the high E. Also, if I slide up the high E to about the 17th fret, you can hear a faint buzz as my finger moves forward. Both issues are audible when amplified (bending more so than the slide).

I have the action set a couple of hairs lower than spec. The neck relief is set to spec. If I raise the high E enough to eliminate the two problems, the B, G and D feel too high and I find I just stop playing the guitar as much (which is a waste). If I lower the low E to partially compensate, then the low E and A buzz in spots.

All that said, I’m thinking about the following to rectify the problem:
  • Find a replacement bridge that allows for individual string height adjustment (does one even exist?). Kind of makes me wish I got a PRS with tremolo instead.
  • Try and modify the existing bridge to lower the string grooves for the B, G and D strings. I don’t have a radius guide, but visually, the radius of the bridge almost looks smaller than the neck.
  • Take it to a luthier. This option has a few issues as I live in the middle of nowhere (in Canada) and need to ship it for servicing. I’m not adverse to it, but unless I provide perfect instructions, I get the guitar back without all the problems addressed and I’m a few hundred dollars poorer. Maybe a fret level is in order?
Any suggestions on how best to tackle this issue would be appreciated.

Different guitars often need different relief setting the spec IMHO is a guide to start at.
One of my wraparound bridge guitars took me a couple of trys to get it just right for me but the effort was well worth it.

Anything's possible, but I'd try getting back to spec, and lowering the action, before modifying anything.....I learned this from experience. Good luck!

Back