Mayer and PRS embarrassed over Super Eagle?

Yes..those pics above are the Super Eagle.
He had that designed specifically for the dead and company… Then about a year ago he switched to a different guitar. check out the video… I just wonder why and why no talk about it from mayer or PRS.

Could be that it was a project with the option for modification.

JM is a PRS sponsored Artist, so the instrument being for a specific project, the design of which is unlikely to go into production.

Also there may be parts of it that are closely protected, for future production guitars.

I believe the Super Eagle was created for the Dead and Co gig...
Mayer always used single coils for his personal gigs...

HI think he's retired the Super Eagle. In 2019, it seems that the 594 was his go-to guitar for Dead & Company, focused on that unique middle pickup 90% of the time.

5fcb4a9fd9ab3f28ce5e3a435ed91d9f.jpg

6709146_031c6578b0195adde4cadf6ab8860ba2_t.png

My guess was that the switch marked as the coil split neck is a 3-way that turns the middle off/on with neck, bridge, or both/only middle. The 3-way toggle on the upper horn would be the standard bridge/bridge and neck/neck. Between those two, all combinations of pickups would be available. I added a middle pickup to my Paul’s Guitar last Spring, and adding another mini toggle with that control is what PTC advised. If John had asked me, I would’ve recommended starting with a PG and adding a middle pickup if he wanted a hard tail PRS that could get some tones that are reminiscent of Jerry Garcia’s. Although, he really probably only needed to choose middle pickup only more on his Super Eagle. He seemed to go with bridge + middle a lot. That’s a cool tone, just not Jerry’s typical middle pickup on tone.

My guess was that the switch marked as the coil split neck is a 3-way that turns the middle off/on with neck, bridge, or both/only middle. The 3-way toggle on the upper horn would be the standard bridge/bridge and neck/neck. Between those two, all combinations of pickups would be available. I added a middle pickup to my Paul’s Guitar last Spring, and adding another mini toggle with that control is what PTC advised. If John had asked me, I would’ve recommended starting with a PG and adding a middle pickup if he wanted a hard tail PRS that could get some tones that are reminiscent of Jerry Garcia’s. Although, he really probably only needed to choose middle pickup only more on his Super Eagle. He seemed to go with bridge + middle a lot. That’s a cool tone, just not Jerry’s typical middle pickup on tone.

John can get whatever PRS Private Stock he wants. I've seen him with a Paul's Guitar (I believe in the PRS video for the J-Mod amp). It's obvious he enjoys the 594 concept since he's been using a platinum finished 594 with D&C (and solo tour) since 2016. He pulls this one out for the heavier blues songs with D&C (and it sound FREAKIN' amazing !). As for "Honey", it's definitely a different concept compared to the Super Eagle, thicker tones for sure. Somewhere in 2017 he started using a solid body Super Eagle with a "fake" F hole (sticker or rosewood insert, who knows). Could be a solution to louder amps on stage, as he was running two J-Mods at the time ? Then the trio of Deluxe Reverbs appeared...blew my mind as to why ? When you have the Dumbles and J-Mods to drop back to a wimpy sound of small Fenders w/JBL speakers, but perhaps he was truly chasing the Garcia tone to the extreme ? I personally liked the 2015/2016 era tones best - more Mayer, heavier drive and not that flute like Garcia sound (I'll admit, I never liked Jerry's tones).

I'm a complete Mayer fanboy, been listening to his music since Room for Squares and was blown away in 2015 when he got picked for D&C. That event caused two changes in my musical world, I bought my first PRS (a Zach Myers) and I started to listen to the Dead. I saw D&C in the summers of 2016 and 2017 and realized JM had surpassed his playing on his solo work....not just the next level, but having grown light years in terms of chops, taste, tones and making these old songs come alive.

EFQx3HuWwAAV8Fw.jpg

John can get whatever PRS Private Stock he wants. I've seen him with a Paul's Guitar (I believe in the PRS video for the J-Mod amp). It's obvious he enjoys the 594 concept since he's been using a platinum finished 594 with D&C (and solo tour) since 2016. He pulls this one out for the heavier blues songs with D&C (and it sound FREAKIN' amazing !). As for "Honey", it's definitely a different concept compared to the Super Eagle, thicker tones for sure. Somewhere in 2017 he started using a solid body Super Eagle with a "fake" F hole (sticker or rosewood insert, who knows). Could be a solution to louder amps on stage, as he was running two J-Mods at the time ? Then the trio of Deluxe Reverbs appeared...blew my mind as to why ? When you have the Dumbles and J-Mods to drop back to a wimpy sound of small Fenders w/JBL speakers, but perhaps he was truly chasing the Garcia tone to the extreme ? I personally liked the 2015/2016 era tones best - more Mayer, heavier drive and not that flute like Garcia sound (I'll admit, I never liked Jerry's tones).

I'm a complete Mayer fanboy, been listening to his music since Room for Squares and was blown away in 2015 when he got picked for D&C. That event caused two changes in my musical world, I bought my first PRS (a Zach Myers) and I started to listen to the Dead. I saw D&C in the summers of 2016 and 2017 and realized JM had surpassed his playing on his solo work....not just the next level, but having grown light years in terms of chops, taste, tones and making these old songs come alive.

EFQx3HuWwAAV8Fw.jpg

Totally agree with you on JM. On YouTube, the D&C clips have JM playing 10 minute solos and every single one is unique. His solo work is still wonderful, but you get the sense that D&C has really given him a chance to take it to the next level.

In fact John Mayer's Super Eagle inspired the whole Special Semi-hollow run which has been very successful, since it is at a comparably lower price point!

ya exactly, funny i didn't know about the SSH a year or so. I was watching a video on how to add a middle pickup to and switches to CE24 when i stumbled on the SSH. Bought one and its been my main guitar..i play in a band that covers Steve Kimock, some dead, originals etc...this guitar works great for all of that...then ill go and do a variety band gig (when there were gigs) playing jazz, rock, funk, disco stuff...this guitar covers it all for me. But ya, i wouldn't mind owning a Super Eagle someday..

Back