Maybe I'm Just A Little Too Happy With My Rig

László

Too Many Notes
Here's how I am with the SC58/HXDA combination: I've been dreaming in guitar. Nearly every night. The guitar and amp combination are always the same, the SC58 and HXDA. And the tones aren't some imaginary thing, or what I've heard on a record, or even using my prior guitars and amps I liked a lot, it's always the actual tones I get with this combination.

I have never dreamt in guitar before, that I can remember. I have dreamt in keyboards, and especially piano, but not all that often. My keyboard dreams are mostly about writing a piece of music, not about sound.

But lately, I've been having dreams where I'm playing my guitar rig, and I'm actually working out tones and parts in my head. I'm not on a stage, I'm not having some kind of a rockstar dream. I'm in my own studio, alone. There is no talk, just musical notes. Talk about getting the "tone you've always heard in your head;" I'm dreaming tones and they sound just like my amp and guitar. As I said, this has never, ever happened to me in the past, and now it's happening consistently. It almost feels a little strange!

I have no idea whether this is normal. I'm not complaining, mind you, I feel more connected to my playing and equipment than ever. If my hands ever catch up to what's going on in my head, that'll be another story. ;)

Does this kind of thing happen to anyone else? I have no idea what is causing it.

Last edited:
I problem solve in my dreams all the time. Much of my pedalboard layout was specifically noodled out while asleep and ended up being some of the my best brainstorming sessions. This isn't the exception, to me, but the norm.

I problem solve in my dreams all the time. Much of my pedalboard layout was specifically noodled out while asleep and ended up being some of the my best brainstorming sessions. This isn't the exception, to me, but the norm.

I appreciate this insight!

Anyway, it can't be a coincidence that I've started working out musical ideas in dreams with this guitar and amp, instead of a keyboard. I have obviously bonded with the rig in a very serious way, so much so that it's affecting my subconscious thought.

I was 4 when I started on piano, and was classically trained. But 16-17 when starting guitar, with most being self-taught. So there is a wide disparity between my skills, and even thinking processes, on each instrument. That's why if I have a dream about creating music, it's always been on keyboards, and why I'm so shocked that the guitar is coming to the fore, especially at this stage of life.

Stranger still that I actually enjoy playing guitar more than keys, since you'd think that something I actually can do better would be more enjoyable! Ah, the whole thing doesn't make sense. LOL

I have random nightmares about trying to find all the pieces of my old rack gear so I can put it back together in time for a show that I'm holding up. Not exactly the same, but that's my subconscious gear dream. Happens more frequently sleeping with the A/C on.

I have random nightmares about trying to find all the pieces of my old rack gear so I can put it back together in time for a show that I'm holding up. Not exactly the same, but that's my subconscious gear dream. Happens more frequently sleeping with the A/C on.

I used to have a repeating dream that I couldn't find my old 1968 Firebird 400, but I would discover it in storage at a gas station near the house I lived in as a kid. Weird dream.

In real life, I sorta-kinda blew up the engine on that car in 1971...

I used to have a repeating dream that I couldn't find my old 1968 Firebird 400, but I would discover it in storage at a gas station near the house I lived in as a kid. Weird dream.

In real life, I sorta-kinda blew up the engine on that car in 1971...

I have that one all the time too, only not about your car, and I never find it.

You're too complacent ... It must be time for a change. Six months ago it was the Artist V and the Mark V.

Ha! You know, the A-V is still wonderful as far as I'm concerned. And I wish I could've hung onto the Mark V and still gotten the HX/DA, but that wasn't in the cards.

But the SC58 and the HX/DA go together like a beautiful woman and a string of pearls. ;)

I think it's more about the synergy between the guitar and amp than anything else, that put the SC in #1 spot. I'll get an amp specifically for the A-V down the road when I can.

Last edited:
damn, my dreams (regardless of gear) is more often than not about fighting zombies, gladiators, aliens and whatnot :dontknow:

EDIT: I actually dreamt I was fighting crabs the size of a truck the other night in a Roman arena...
I think I'm subconsciously a bit worried about the what food to eat during my upcoming clinic-tour in China :beer:

EDIT 2: Might also have something to do with me listening to the the audiobooks of "Casca" by Barry Sadler ;)

Last edited:
My dreams are all over the place. One minute I'm beating off a mugger and the next I'm in a peaceful wood then I'm oogling a nice... er.... I better not talk about that one.....

The subconscious is the most surreal place in the universe...

The subconscious is the most surreal place in the universe...

Unless you're this guy...

Dali.jpg

I'm very happy with my CU24 (with 57/08s) into my 65amps Ventura. Also with a huge pedalboard used for all of the gain.

I am happy overall but am always looking for something new. I'm a bit impulsive in that regard. Especially in the pedal department.

Can't wait to use this rig tomorrow. My own music festival ala mini Woodstock from 3pm-3am. I play the whole time usually sitting in with different bands and then my band closes it. I also open it with an acoustic set.

Back