Matt's Guitars in Virgina

Keith B.

Anyone have experience buying PRS at Matt's Guitars in Manassas, Virginia - either locally or more importantly online? Curious to know how they treated you, what you got and how the process went. They appear to use only UPS for shipping (I've found FedEx to be very good with guitars). Thanks in advance.

They appear to use only UPS for shipping (I've found FedEx to be very good with guitars). Thanks in advance.
I wouldn’t be too concerned between UPS and FedEx. I’ve used both for many years, and have had mostly good experiences with both. I’ve also had some issues with each, but it’s never involved damage to a shipped guitar.

I can’t help on personal experience with Matt’s, except to say that I spent three months in Quantico back in 2010 and didn’t know there was a PRS dealer that close. I’d have surely visited if I did!

Personally, I prefer UPS over FedEx, but preference seems to be a regional thing. I wouldn’t worry about it from the receiving end; the risk is on the shipper.
I am in the same boat - given a choice, I would take UPS. Based solely on my personal experiences with both.

I stopped in Matt's about a year before I moved out of Virginia. The guys were very nice, and all the guitars hanging on the wall were set up well, not all funky and out of tune with crusty strings on them.

I didn't have buying cash, but was interested in seeing a new-to-me shop. But, it is where I got turned onto the SE Santana. I ended up buying used elsewhere, but would have gone back there several times (buying something I'm sure), were I still in VA.

The carrier quality is going to be different for different areas. I knew some people who worked in the UPS warehouse in Houston. The stories they would tell, you'd never want anything of value being handled by them. I've had bad and good experiences with both UPS and FedEx in the various cities I've lived in. If you know people in your area who regularly ship things or receive things ask them about their experiences that's probably going to be your best resource.

I just got a guitar box from Miami that was shipped FedEx. The box is broken, luckily the guitar isn't.

Funny how we all feel different about carriers, I just got an update for tracking and I was damn, Fedex. Its recording equipment not a guitar but still more times than not fed ex is an issue somehow.

Last guitar I got was via Fedex. Box was pristine upon arrival. I've sent 2 recently via FedEx - same result. I have one set to arrive tomorrow via UPS.... we'll see....

And I literally received my UPS package an hour ago. I now like UPS more :)
Realized that the package tracking is better with UPS since I'm signed up for UPS Choice (free) and can actually see rough position of the truck once package is out for delivery.
UPS Ground got guitar from Michigan to Austin in approximately 40 hours. That made me very happy.

NGD - CE24 Semi-hollow body - Trampas Green. Very nice.

Back