Martin guitar case locked. Can't get in!

HarryJS

Hi everyone, its a very exciting NGD for me. Just recieved a Martin OM 28 authentic posted from US to UK.
But...
Its locked! And no key. Any advice? Tried lock picks but no luck. instrument ringtone
Many thanks
download ringtones free at: phoneringtones.info

Last edited:
My HD-28 case key is a standard type, the same exact key size as my PRS 594, McCarty, and 513s. Just grab your PRS case key and give it a try. It opens my Martin case.

Unlock is CCW, with the tab starting at about 5 o’clock. It’s a pretty stiff lock, but this is the first time I’ve ever locked it!

I heard recently of someone thinking their new guitar case was locked but it wasn't. The clips slid to the side to open instead of flipping up. Any chance that's it?

Did you double check all the packaging to see if the key was taped in somewhere?

Good luck!

The First time I tried opening a vintage fender tweed case had me bugging so bad I contacted the guy I bought the guitar from. I actually like the slide mechanism better now :p

I've opened more items with chainsaws than I have with pianos! Just sayin'!!

FYI, based on the @RickP suggestion, I thought I would experiment with my keys (which I never use). I have a Martin J-40, and the keys for any of my 3 PRS cases do not work in it. Nor does the J-40 key work on any of the PRS cases. The Core CU24 case key does fit in the Martin case, and it spins while embedded, but it never locks it. Key from PS CU24 did not fit into Martin case. I trust that Rick is right about his key/case situation (he seems to me in my short time here, to be one of the most level headed individuals on this forum), just saying, it is not a universal fit situation between all models from these brands.

Happy (lock) pickin'!
MW

I've opened more items with chainsaws than I have with pianos! Just sayin'!!

FYI, based on the @RickP suggestion, I thought I would experiment with my keys (which I never use). I have a Martin J-40, and the keys for any of my 3 PRS cases do not work in it. Nor does the J-40 key work on any of the PRS cases. The Core CU24 case key does fit in the Martin case, and it spins while embedded, but it never locks it. Key from PS CU24 did not fit into Martin case. I trust that Rick is right about his key/case situation (he seems to me in my short time here, to be one of the most level headed individuals on this forum), just saying, it is not a universal fit situation between all models from these brands.

Happy (lock) pickin'!
MW
Thanks for the kind words! Yes, I figured there might be variations and I had to make sure to hold my PRS key firmly to keep the key bit/tab from passing right over the internal lockworks. Oddly, the actual Martin key didn’t fare better. This is on a fairly recent (2016, I think) molded Martin case. When I compared them, they were identical keys. Being as the locks on guitar cases are likely the least used part on them, I doubt they put much investment into special ones though I will point out that the Martin one wasn’t as smooth as the PRS.

As the OP appently hit and ran on this post, I think we’re just talking to ourselves. :)

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, I figured there might be variations and I had to make sure to hold my PRS key firmly to keep the key bit/tab from passing right over the internal lockworks. Oddly, the actual Martin key didn’t fare better. This is on a fairly recent (2016, I think) molded Martin case. When I compared them, they were identical keys. Being as the locks on guitar cases are likely the least used part on them, I doubt they put much investment into special ones though I will point out that the Martin one wasn’t as smooth as the PRS.

As the OP appently hit and ran on this post, I think we’re just talking to ourselves. :)
Still good to have this information here though Mr. Rick in case others were to run into a similar situation. I will be sure to notify the authorities about this hit n run incident!!! Thanks for your input on this, it sure got me thinkin' (and testin') in case I ever run into a similar situation ;~))

Hi everyone, its a very exciting NGD for me. Just recieved a Martin OM 28 authentic posted from US to UK.
But...
Its locked! And no key. Any advice? Tried lock picks but no luck.
Many thanks

Spend the cost of hiring a locksmith. Let him know what you're trying to do; you can either bring the case to him, or he'll visit you. It'll cost less to bring the case to him.

The locksmith might also provide you with a couple keys after the fact for a small cost.

Exciting NGD with a Martin OM 28 Authentic, received from US to UK. But, it's locked with no key. Tried lock picks, no luck. Contact seller/shipper, consider locksmith, document issue. Stay patient and persistent. Enjoy the instrument's guitar ringtones free once unlocked!

Last edited:
Back