Marshall class 5

gush

Where is that speedo pic
I have a Marshall class 5 combo.

I think it's a little harsh and thought about swapping tubes or speaker for that matter.

I've watched a ton of stuff on youtube but I feel like I become better educated when I ask on here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

You could try subbing in a 5751 tube for one of the 12AX7's your class 5 is running. The 5751 is a direct drop in and has a lower gain factor, around 30% lower than the 12AX7, which will take some of the harshness out of your amp and give you a touch more headroom as well. I'd try the 5751 in both V1 and V2 and see which position works best for your amp and the sound you're trying to achieve. If it's not enough, you could go even lower with a 12AT7, which is a 40% lower gain factor.
I've personally done the 5751 swap with my modded Fender and it made a world of difference IMO, especially when using hotter pickups.

Last edited:
I have a Marshall class 5 combo.

I think it's a little harsh and thought about swapping tubes or speaker for that matter.

I've watched a ton of stuff on youtube but I feel like I become better educated when I ask on here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

If you want to try a 5751, I think I have an NOS laying around. Let me know, and I'll mail it to you.

Tube swaps can get you some nuance changes in EQ, definitely some gain reduction (or increase, depending on which way you go), but if your amp is harsh in EQ I would by far recommend a speaker swap first, you can make a much more drastic change to the tone with a speaker. I think the Class 5 combo has a 10”, I’m not sure what people who’ve owned the amp like as a replacement, but I would bet a 10” Celestion Greenback or WGS Green Beret 10 would be good ones to look at if you like crunchy tones.

Change speaker cabs. I had the head for a while and it did well with the ET65 in a little 1x12 as well as matched with a Vet30 in a vert 2x12. It just didn’t have the headroom to hang with the big boys.

You could try subbing in a 5751 tube for one of the 12AX7's your class 5 is running. The 5751 is a direct drop in and has a lower gain factor, around 30% lower than the 12AX7, which will take some of the harshness out of your amp and give you a touch more headroom as well. I'd try the 5751 in both V1 and V2 and see which position works best for your amp and the sound you're trying to achieve. If it's not enough, you could go even lower with a 12AT7, which is a 40% lower gain factor.
I've personally done the 5751 swap with my modded Fender and it made a world of difference IMO, especially when using hotter pickups.

I'll try the tube. I'll have to check to see if I have one in my parts drawer. If not, i know where i can get one.

I bought it for the marshall super lead tone without that cost. Doesn't seem to do that as well as I'd hoped.

I'm doing a cover of All Right Now with my buddy Kevin. I tried to nail that tone with this class 5 but no dice.

I've always loved this song and most bands that cover it butcher it to hell and back.

I put down a couple guitar tracks saturday using my mesa stiletto and 89 cu24. Even though I've studied this song a ton, I genetically don't have what it takes to play that part correctly plus depending on which version you listen to it varies.

I am totally stoked with what I've got recorded so far just got to find that magic combo to get lead tones right.

Then it will be all right now!

I'll try the tube. I'll have to check to see if I have one in my parts drawer. If not, i know where i can get one.

I bought it for the marshall super lead tone without that cost. Doesn't seem to do that as well as I'd hoped.

I'm doing a cover of All Right Now with my buddy Kevin. I tried to nail that tone with this class 5 but no dice.

I've always loved this song and most bands that cover it butcher it to hell and back.

I put down a couple guitar tracks saturday using my mesa stiletto and 89 cu24. Even though I've studied this song a ton, I genetically don't have what it takes to play that part correctly plus depending on which version you listen to it varies.

I am totally stoked with what I've got recorded so far just got to find that magic combo to get lead tones right.

Then it will be all right now!

It’s a cool song because there’s some nice things going on tonally throughout.

There are some subtle yet not too difficult things going on with the chord changes once you get it down.

Like you I’ve studied this song and even Free were pretty loose with the tempo, depending on which recording you watch.

I think that the studio recording has a good groove and the rhythm of the drum part really makes this song too.

It’s a cool song because there’s some nice things going on tonally throughout.

There are some subtle yet not too difficult things going on with the chord changes once you get it down.

Like you I’ve studied this song and even Free were pretty loose with the tempo, depending on which recording you watch.

I think that the studio recording has a good groove and the rhythm of the drum part really makes this song too.
The studio version is my favorite. There is two guitar parts. They are very similar but different enough to matter. Panning the CD left to right separates the parts, this is also why bands tend to butcher it. The two parts makes it kind of difficult to make it sound as full as a single guitar band.

I've listened to what I've got recorded many times and I feel like the left right guitar in the chorus nails it near perfectly. The verses tones are just a tad hotter than what Paul Kossoff recorded with but the way I execute the parts is off.

Even with verse parts not played exactly I would be happy to let others hear it as most of what I got down sounds pretty freakin good.

I think I'm doing vocals on this recording as well but I might venture off the path a bit there.

Anyway, I need to get a sweet lead tone established so I can put it to bed.

I think my buddy Kevin is going to do a video of us doing the recording as well. He's been doing these videos during the covid crisis to curb the boredom of not gigging.

Amp is a bit harsh and mushy by design... You're better to seek out a few cheap easy mods, than to waste primo glass on it. IMHO

I've had good success with both of my Class5's, mainly by using the 10-band eq on my board and adjusting the tone on the amp.

One of the biggest compliments I've ever had playing was by a long time drummer friend. He told me "That amp has the same sound as my brother's old Plexi."

I've had good success with both of my Class5's, mainly by using the 10-band eq on my board and adjusting the tone on the amp.

One of the biggest compliments I've ever had playing was by a long time drummer friend. He told me "That amp has the same sound as my brother's old Plexi."

Back