Mark Tremonti on his new PRS concept and baritone hybrid (TotalGuitar vid)

Wouldn't longer scale lengths "require" thicker strings too, though?

Anyway, I think it's even more critical for rock rhythm players, who often use a harder attack for riffage. I mean, for a baritone I'd want thicker strings ESPECIALLY for rhythm work.
Generally, yes. The PRS SE 277 comes with 14-64s standard, I think.

Anyway, I think it's even more critical for rock rhythm players, who often use a harder attack for riffage. I mean, for a baritone I'd want thicker strings ESPECIALLY for rhythm work.

Yeah, I dunno. I guess it depends what he's going for. You could string it up with 9s and get the desired tension you want for that tuning without using "bridge cables". Though, I imagine tonally it would sound sort of thin.

Yeah, I dunno. I guess it depends what he's going for. You could string it up with 9s and get the desired tension you want for that tuning without using "bridge cables". Though, I imagine tonally it would sound sort of thin.

I think they'd also be flapping all over the place, getting pulled out of tune when picked moderately hard. That's what I meant before.

I think they'd also be flapping all over the place, getting pulled out of tune when picked moderately hard. That's what I meant before.

Yeah. I don't know. It could be as simple as he's Mark Tremonti and he can have a completely new/different guitar built for him for one tuning lol.

Mark has been playing the baritone on Arm yourself, brains, and tie the noose. They are all pretty low tuning with some heavy chugga chuggas.

He's been using the explorer with Sympathy, another heart, and wish you well.

Mark uses skinny too heavy bottom strings on all his guitars. That may be different with the baritone though. He did mention that the G strong wasn't wound so that leads me to believe it's a similar setup as his others

I watch extensive YouTube videos before bed every night lol

No, they actually don't 'require' a heavier gauge string. This has been a long told myth perpetuated by guitar magazines when more bands started using lower tunings. It was always 'suggested' that you use a heavier gauge string if you didn't want floppy strings. One big reason for this is the assumption that you only have maybe one or two guitars and you probably keep it strung to standard E, so tuning down a whole step or a two might cause some floppiness and muddiness and if you were only tuning down because you wanted to learn like one song that happened to be tuned low you would experience this. I can only speak for myself and play rhythm and lead using 12 gauge strings because that's what I grew up using, but my playing in general is 'light to the touch' it only looks like I'm playing hard and violent. A proper setup will disable you from needing to use heavy gauge strings is my point and any decent tech will tell you this, especially if a guitar is going to be dedicated to living with a particular tuning for awhile.

No, they actually don't 'require' a heavier gauge string. This has been a long told myth perpetuated by guitar magazines when more bands started using lower tunings. It was always 'suggested' that you use a heavier gauge string if you didn't want floppy strings. One big reason for this is the assumption that you only have maybe one or two guitars and you probably keep it strung to standard E, so tuning down a whole step or a two might cause some floppiness and muddiness and if you were only tuning down because you wanted to learn like one song that happened to be tuned low you would experience this. I can only speak for myself and play rhythm and lead using 12 gauge strings because that's what I grew up using, but my playing in general is 'light to the touch' it only looks like I'm playing hard and violent. A proper setup will disable you from needing to use heavy gauge strings is my point and any decent tech will tell you this, especially if a guitar is going to be dedicated to living with a particular tuning for awhile.

Agreed. This is a recent myth which has been driving me crazy. Extended scale length / baritone guitars were meant to tune down without having to use the extra thick strings you'd have to on a normal scale guitar (e.g. Instead of using 12-56 gauge on your 25.5" scale guitar , you can use 11-54 on the longer scale/baritone guitar and achieve the same tension).

Back