Mark Tremonti on his new PRS concept and baritone hybrid (TotalGuitar vid)

Very interesting!!

He seems like a cool dude. And he is such a brilliant guitarist - Alter Bridge has put out some awesome albums with great, great riffage! (of course the vocals of Myles Kennedy is as big a part of why I like the band)

Its just a reverse headstock firebird... looks a bit odd to take the firebird body and throw horns on it. I do like the reverse headstock though

Really like the baritone. I think the Firebird is fine except the horns. Particularly the top one makes it look off to me. But I'm a bit of a traditionalist.

Looking at the space between the pickups and frets, I don't think its a 27.7" scale. It looks like it may be a 26" or 26.5". That would make more sense for C# standard. I could be wrong.

Looking at the space between the pickups and frets, I don't think its a 27.7" scale. It looks like it may be a 26" or 26.5". That would make more sense for C# standard. I could be wrong.

Considering he did say "baritone hybrid", that's very likely. Not a true baritone, but heading in that direction.

Not for nothing, but 1 1/2 full steps down really doesn't seem to need a special guitar. I mean, are you using 9's or something? Why not just use 10's or 11's, or maybe a proper setup and your guitar will stay in tune just fine. I really don't see the need for a longer scale instrument.

not liking that guitar. lower horn and a PRS headstock are just not cut for that kind of guitar. that's why we have ESP and other brands. just not prs worthy IMO

Not for nothing, but 1 1/2 full steps down really doesn't seem to need a special guitar. I mean, are you using 9's or something? Why not just use 10's or 11's, or maybe a proper setup and your guitar will stay in tune just fine. I really don't see the need for a longer scale instrument.

Just a shot in the dark, but I think for a player like Mark and based on what he was saying in the video, since he's a "shredder" and that type of playing typically requires a very light touch that heavier gauge strings even on a regular scale length tend to get cumbersome pretty quickly.

If you're primarily just a riffer/rhythm guitar player, it's probably not much of an issue to throw some 11's on a 25.5" guitar and have at it.

Just a guess tho.

Just a shot in the dark, but I think for a player like Mark and based on what he was saying in the video, since he's a "shredder" and that type of playing typically requires a very light touch that heavier gauge strings even on a regular scale length tend to get cumbersome pretty quickly.

If you're primarily just a riffer/rhythm guitar player, it's probably not much of an issue to throw some 11's on a 25.5" guitar and have at it.

Just a guess tho.

Wouldn't longer scale lengths "require" thicker strings too, though?

Anyway, I think it's even more critical for rock rhythm players, who often use a harder attack for riffage. I mean, for a baritone I'd want thicker strings ESPECIALLY for rhythm work.

Back