Mark Holcomb SE Underrated

Broseph

PRS Fren
wcPzeDn.jpg

I decided it was beyond time to have a guitar dedicated for downtuning. So I got a brand new 2022 MH for a great price. Absolutely killer SE. I’d say it’s up there with the SS SE for killer value and incredible pickups. The fact it has $300 pickups stock is absolutely insane. The knock on SE line has been pickups and cheap tremolos…well this beauty packs Seymour Duncan pickups and nice blacked out hard tail. The ebony board and longer 25.5” scale were smart to help prevent this guitar sounding so muddy. The satin black neck is great! I’m in shock for an SE. If any of you guys are on the fence I say do it, especially for the prices I saw for the used. This cleans up real nice but certainly crushes as well. I’m really impressed.

I’m not sure if it’s USA grade nut. I know the Zach myers has it nowadays. So far the nut seems fine. I’ll see how the tuners work. So far so good

Congrats on the new guitar. The Holcombs are great guitars, and the fact you get his sig pickups at that price is just an added bonus. I ended up putting a set of the 7-string pickups in my SE7 CU24 - about a year before the SE MH SVN came out. No regrets though.

Mark himself played mine at a clinic for Brian's (fortunately, I'd told Brian I wanted it before I made the drive, otherwise I'd have missed out because they sold all of them - and Mark needed one for the clinic). He's said numerous times that the middle position in coil tap mode is the hidden secret with those - it's a very sweet sound. Well worth checking out.

500% this!! I've said it a few times on here, as much love as there is for the 594s/Hollowbodys/Santanas/etc. (and deservedly so), the Holcombs are often under-rated. I keep mine tuned down a whole step, with 11-52's and it friggin' rips!
Congratulations on joining the club, and on getting a beautiful one too!

Yeah. Older ones had plastic. I’m pleased that some of these signature SEs have their core level nut. And so far the tuners have been good. PRS nailed the look on this guitar. I would only suggest dropping the white fret binding to complete the blackout look.

Congrats on the new guitar. The Holcombs are great guitars, and the fact you get his sig pickups at that price is just an added bonus. I ended up putting a set of the 7-string pickups in my SE7 CU24 - about a year before the SE MH SVN came out. No regrets though.

Mark himself played mine at a clinic for Brian's (fortunately, I'd told Brian I wanted it before I made the drive, otherwise I'd have missed out because they sold all of them - and Mark needed one for the clinic). He's said numerous times that the middle position in coil tap mode is the hidden secret with those - it's a very sweet sound. Well worth checking out.
This reply made me think of a stupid question. I wonder what a 6 string would sound like if it has 7 string pups on it? Not even sure it can be done but would be interesting to try on a project guitar

I am considering a used Holcomb mainly because it's one of the few PRS that has a 20" radius. It's either that or go with a different brand guitar or wait to see if PRS brings out another guitar with a flatter radius. How are you liking it still? Any issues?

I love it! It's so different than regular PRS. Clearly built for downturning world, but also versatile to play in standard tuning. I've kept it in the stock tuning. I swapped out the tuners to locking for my preference only; the originals kept tune fine but I'm a lazy mofo and they only cost me $65. I put gotoh locking in a matching cosmo color. Otherwise I plan on keeping it all the stock, which is VERY unlike me for an SE. I've seen plenty of 2022s pop up used on Dave's guitar for cheap. I say that since 2022 is when they got the violin carve and known improvement to the nut.

I love it! It's so different than regular PRS. Clearly built for downturning world, but also versatile to play in standard tuning. I've kept it in the stock tuning. I swapped out the tuners to locking for my preference only; the originals kept tune fine but I'm a lazy mofo and they only cost me $65. I put gotoh locking in a matching cosmo color. Otherwise I plan on keeping it all the stock, which is VERY unlike me for an SE. I've seen plenty of 2022s pop up used on Dave's guitar for cheap. I say that since 2022 is when they got the violin carve and known improvement to the nut.
Any idea why the 2022 would come up on the used market so quickly? Are the older models better?

I have an opportunity for a used or a deal on a new....decisions...

Any idea why the 2022 would come up on the used market so quickly? Are the older models better?
It’s December. Bound to have people with GAS that decide to move a guitar that they may no longer need. Not a knock on the guitar

It’s December. Bound to have people with GAS that decide to move a guitar that they may no longer need. Not a knock on the guitar
Any thoughts on the 7 over the 6? I've played a 7 and enjoyed it, a bit of a stretch for my short fingers, but the sounds were sweet.

Back