Mark Holcomb SE Signature 7 String Possibility

Alex Martinez

Hey guys, I own 2 Holcomb SE Models (Holcomb Burst, Satin Grey Black) and absolutely love them all around. I also have a PRS SVN that I've upgraded, but I would love to see a 7 string version of the Holcomb SE. Does anyone else feel the same? If so how can we make this happen?

Depends on a couple things... demand, and how different a new model would be from the existing SE SVN. Changing a finish or pickups is relatively easy to do (I think). Changing scale length, body contours, bridges, neck shapes requires a lot of CNC programming that PRS has to be able to make their money back on by way of selling lots of guitars. So, if you want it, my advice would be to get people to make a lot of noise about it!

The biggest chance of this happening is if Mark Holcombe wants a signature 7 string version and that PRS can and would make a signature 7 string for him. If Mark Holcombe has no interest in it, then you have no chance at all - it won't happen. At best, PRS could take certain aspects from the Holcombe SE, like getting an SE 7 String version of his PU's and putting those in their 7 string SE but an official Holcombe 7string will only come about if both Mark and PRS come together and make one for the general public

They didn't use a lot of 7&8 strings on Hail Stan. Most of it was 6ers in drop-c and drop-a, I think.

You might be in luck!

He has actually been spotted several times playing his recent tour with what looks like an SE7 in Holcomb Burst.

I am also waiting for one to be announced, I have a PRS SvN and a homebuilt 7 with an Omega bridge pickup.

You might be in luck!

He has actually been spotted several times playing his recent tour with what looks like an SE7 in Holcomb Burst.

I am also waiting for one to be announced, I have a PRS SvN and a homebuilt 7 with an Omega bridge pickup.
I saw them and I'm pretty sure that's his core 7, the one that got stolen and recovered...?

I saw them and I'm pretty sure that's his core 7, the one that got stolen and recovered...?

When did you see them?

There are a couple of pics taken from his instagram story in a thread on Sevenstring.org which show him running around with a glossy looking 7 with a painted black neck. It's a little blurry so it could just be one of his Private Stocks but the body looks pretty flat with a slight bevel, like the SE's.

For an 'official' Mark Holcomb SE Signature 7 string, there would need to be both Mark and PRS - key word here is PRS - to create and market one - something that would also be in competition with the SE Seven string. PRS will no doubt know how popular the 7-string is and whether or not a Mark Holcombe Signature could or would be popular enough for an SE version to be a viable project.

Its possible that they could do a Mark Holcombe Signature core 7 string as they don't have competition with any other of their core guitars and it could be (I say could but probably unlikely) their high end 7 string model alongside the Tremonti and DGT.

PRS have the figures, how many 7 strings they build and how many get sold every year. If its commercially viable to bring another SE 7-string - especially one with a 'name' attached to it - then maybe we will see one. PRS aren't going to make one unless they feel it can sell in the market. One option could be a limited edition run of Holcombe SE 7 strings - maybe just 1000 like they did with the Jakko - but I doubt it would be the 'same' price as the Holcombe SE 6 string...

When did you see them?

There are a couple of pics taken from his instagram story in a thread on Sevenstring.org which show him running around with a glossy looking 7 with a painted black neck. It's a little blurry so it could just be one of his Private Stocks but the body looks pretty flat with a slight bevel, like the SE's.
2 weeks ago, in Chicago

There you go!

I suspect PRS would make this as a limited run because I don't think they would axe their own SVN.
BTW, as an SE SVN owner, I think SVN is already so great that I feel no need to add an MH7 (if any). The only thing I wish my SVN had is ebony fretboard.

6Y4ZYh4.jpg

Told you. ;)

I reckon it might run for a year or so. I imagine apart from the finish the only real differences are his pickups and the fretboard radius being flatter.

I'll definitely be picking one up to go along with my SvN as I love the pickups.

Back