Mark Holcomb Ltd Edition

the neck profile is thicker than my lespaul with 60s profile and thinner than my Jim Root strat. The fretboard radius is 20" so it feels flatter. Very easy to play especially when you bend strings.

Well, I pretty much paraphrased Audie's
last post to the dealer I ordered from and low and behold.....got an answer.

PRS is just finishing mine (and some others) up. Apparently it was a supply issue, which happens. Sounds like this run did really well, which IMO bodes well for us: it means we will likely get some more killer special runs in the future!

So, it is on its way. Probably three weeks tops!

With that said, how are you guys enjoying your Holcomb models, now that you've had some time on them?

damn man...even I'm getting impatient waiting for you to get your guitar! lol WHERE IS IT?!?!

damn man...even I'm getting impatient waiting for you to get your guitar! lol WHERE IS IT?!?!

Haha! I know man....I am totally counting days here! I am glad you guys are loving yours; it will make the wait worth it! They said mine was just being finished.....so it will have to be in soon!

Well folks......it has arrived.....finally! Haha! I am picking it up on Thursday. Pics to come. :)

What were you doing today that was so important??? :dontknow:

Congrats - I can't wait to hear your review.

What were you doing today that was so important??? :dontknow:

Congrats - I can't wait to hear your review.

Hey Alan,

I work in healthcare and unfortunately, today was full of appointments and a meeting. That said, tomorrow I will definitely be able to put it through its paces. Pics and review to come!

Hey Alan,

I work in healthcare and unfortunately, today was full of appointments and a meeting. That said, tomorrow I will definitely be able to put it through its paces. Pics and review to come!

can't wait to hear your review VHTStark!

Hey Alan,

So, you value the health of strangers more than a new guitar??? I feel like I don't know you any more... :vroam:

20151008_011927%201.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20151008_011813.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Well, guys.....
I must say it has been a long wait indeed, but it was certainly worth it. Absolutely fantastic playing instrument with one of the punchiest, immediate and clear tonal signatures out of any guitar I have ever played! This guitar is a perfect example of what you get when you combine artist feedback/input with impeccable craftsmanship and electronics specifically designed for the instrument. Probably why a guitar like the DGT has so many fans!
On a whole, I would say the Holcomb is tonally balanced. The bass is tight, quick and not overbearing, the mid range is broad with maybe a slight bump in the upper mids and the treble is present but not harsh at all. This makes the Holcomb a really versatile beast....definitely not just a drop tuned metal monster (although it does that better than most!). I actually have mine tuned up to play in E and drop D right now and the extra tension combined the guitar construction and wood choice really contributes to the attack and snap!

Oh wow killer! About time, I was wondering if you ever got it. I'm glad you like it. Would you say it kinda hard to play in drop D? Meaning the tension.

Oh wow killer! About time, I was wondering if you ever got it. I'm glad you like it. Would you say it kinda hard to play in drop D? Meaning the tension.

Thanks! Not hard to play at all, actually. I think it took all of two minutes to get used to the feel, which is obviously very different from my single-cuts.

I haven't been paying close enough attention to this thread as I should have, partly because I'm just not that into metal. No offense to anyone who is. But, I started wondering how it would suit as a blues guitar. I see that they come from the factory with 10-52's and tuned to drop C. VHT, I like your assessment and that's what got me thinking along those lines. How would it work in standard E tuning with those strings? I noted that you mentioned that the string tension was not an issue, right? All my guitars have 10's on them, but that's 10-46's. Comparison thoughts?

Now, having gone through all that, I looked back at the PRS products page and saw that the order window closed in March. Well, unless they make it a regular production model I guess I'll have to see if one ever shows up on the used market, or if there will be another order window open up. Maybe I'll have enough time to save up some coin by then. Fingers crossed.

Hey markintime,

On my 25" scale PRS' s I use Infeld 10-50's so that is what I slapped on there when I tuned it to standard. There is some extra tension, but it isn't a bad thing at all: lots of attack and with the flat fretboard you can bend to the moon. That said, if you got one, I would recommend putting your 10-46 set on; the heavy bottom might be a little too snug up top.

It sounds fantastic playing blues and classic rock. I am not normally a super hot ceramic pickup fan, but these pickups are killer: not shrill at all and very dynamic! The in between settings are also fantastic.....very good single coil sounds and not far off the "strat under humbucker cover" Duncan I have in the neck position of one of my single-cuts. There are still some around....definitely check one out if you can!

Thanks, VHT! That's great news. Just saw one on ebay for a very good price, used. But it's jade green. I saw several others listed by dealers in colors I like. Wish there was a Black Gold one. Don't want to have to take out a second mortgage... Aaaaargh!

Back