Mark Holcomb Ltd Edition

yeah I'm leaning towards the 90w only because I want as much versatility as I can and all the extra channels will really help with that. And yes, I do love me some knobs, switches and sliders! :)

I'm interested in that Misha mod you mentioned. So it's like an overall output bypass switch? or is it activating and bypassing the tone knob? I agree with you though. I, unfortunately, am the type of guy looking for problems with products I buy (refer to previous mention of QA engineering background). I've looked this thing over up and down, side to side and inside and out, and the only things I can find wrong are purely cosmetic or just in my head. In general I'm a big fan of some of the standard things PRS does... I love where PRS opts to use brass hardware components, I love the way PRS wires their pots/switches. But specifically to this guitar, I love that string through bridge and the flat radius-longer neck. it just all feels so right! I remember reading all the specs online before I ordered it thinking "This sounds like exactly what I want" and then I got it...and it was!

I believe the tone pot is always bypassed when the knob is down (ie. not pulled up) and you can activate it when you pull the knob up. From my understanding the tone pot will only work when the knob is pulled up which nice for players like me because I do really love using tone knob for only certain types of music and for the most of time they are always maxed (ie. no high cut). I will talk to my local guitar tech to find out more about this switching. I am also thinking about installing a "blow switch" which was mentioned in Seymour Duncan's blog on my Jim Root Strat because the volume knob on that guitar gets in the way (I have thought about relocating the volume pot but unfortunately Jim Root Strat has barely any room for relocation for a volume pot):

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/guitar-wiring-explored-adding-a-blower-switch/

"(...)When the switch is disengaged, the guitar behaves as normal with all the switches and controls performing in the normal way. But when you flip the switch, all the other switches and controls on the guitar are bypassed, and the bridge pickup is connected straight to the jack"

I believe the tone pot is always bypassed when the knob is down (ie. not pulled up) and you can activate it when you pull the knob up. From my understanding the tone pot will only work when the knob is pulled up which nice for players like me because I do really love using tone knob for only certain types of music and for the most of time they are always maxed (ie. no high cut). I will talk to my local guitar tech to find out more about this switching. I am also thinking about installing a "blow switch" which was mentioned in Seymour Duncan's blog on my Jim Root Strat because the volume knob on that guitar gets in the way (I have thought about relocating the volume pot but unfortunately Jim Root Strat has barely any room for relocation for a volume pot):

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/guitar-wiring-explored-adding-a-blower-switch/

"(...)When the switch is disengaged, the guitar behaves as normal with all the switches and controls performing in the normal way. But when you flip the switch, all the other switches and controls on the guitar are bypassed, and the bridge pickup is connected straight to the jack"

ahhh, interesting. I might be interested in trying that on one of my other guitars. but no extra holes will be drilled in this PRS! lol I've always wanted to install a cutoff momentary switch too. I love being able to do cool staccato riffs with them. I need to change out the crappy stock pickups in my old Jackson so maybe I'll do a little experimentation on that guy.

Mind you I have ordered mine right after it was announced and still waited for a quite long time even going beyond my dealer's "estimated" arrival date. I had to send an email to PRS only to find out that the model is super popular and they had some delay getting their quilt tops for Holcomb Burst (other tops/colors had no delay). I would still keep in touch with your dealer! It is a super guitar and worth the wait for sure.

Thanks guys!

Ya, I am almost wondering if there is some mistake on the dealers end. We are getting in to mid September now! I will keep you fine fellas posted.

Hope you guys are all enjoying yours immensely! :)

You should not be in this position. It seems like a simple enough situation that your dealer should have been on top of anyways. it is what it is. I am sure if it is PRS their is a likely explanation such as the one stated above.

Yes it is very simple (order-wait-receive) but from my experience the whole network communication is very inaccurate and inefficient. Usually the dealer's quote for the final delivery date is never guaranteed or it is often missed by the manufacturer. Maybe PRS would communicate more often if you order a full on custom/Private Stock ($$$$) but they rarely communicate about the exact status of your production model guitar. Not blaming anyone but it does piss you off or makes you anxious about the order.

Audie: I concur, this position is crappy. The crappy thing is that the last two messages I left for my dealer to contact PRS, I never got a call back. I have ordered PRS' s before and haven't ever had any trouble on their end.

Bnzboy: Funny thing....when I ordered my Private stock, that was a super quick and seamless turnaround. They said 4 months and it was bang on! Haha!

Audie: I concur, this position is crappy. The crappy thing is that the last two messages I left for my dealer to contact PRS, I never got a call back. I have ordered PRS' s before and haven't ever had any trouble on their end.

Bnzboy: Funny thing....when I ordered my Private stock, that was a super quick and seamless turnaround. They said 4 months and it was bang on! Haha!

I bet the dealer had no problem requiring and receiving a down payment huh? If so, that darn sure ain't cool to take money and blow you off till the guitar arrives. A simple phone call to PRS will in all likelyhood clear this up. It is easy for any dealer to have the privileage of dealing with PRS and their prompt customer service and great product. Anybody can take an order. A good dealer follows through and cares about the customers interest.

Dude, that's not right. I was the last one of this group to place a pre-order, I'm sure, and I was the 4th one to get it, I think. Not sure how that happened, and I can't complain, but that's BS. I'd be driving to the dealer you gave the money to and demand an answer.

Well, I pretty much paraphrased Audie's
last post to the dealer I ordered from and low and behold.....got an answer.

PRS is just finishing mine (and some others) up. Apparently it was a supply issue, which happens. Sounds like this run did really well, which IMO bodes well for us: it means we will likely get some more killer special runs in the future!

So, it is on its way. Probably three weeks tops!

With that said, how are you guys enjoying your Holcomb models, now that you've had some time on them?

The guitar is amazing. I wish the guitar's price range was lower AND not a limited run but it is what it is. The neck is one of my favorite profiles along with Jim root Strat. I keep starring at the top and realize how gorgeous it is. I have tried playing through all of my amps (Mesa Roadster, Marshall JVM, Orange Thunderverb 50, Randall Satan, Axefx II) and I really like the tone coming out from my JVM and Satan. Also surprisingly the guitar sounds tight enough that I have actually started playing through my Roadster without a boost. I would definitely buy a production model if they ever come up with one.

The guitar is fantastic! It is now my main axe. It so extremely versatile that I find little reason to pick up any of my other guitars at the moment for what I've been playing. The feel of the neck is outstanding! So much comfort and fluidity and the 20" radius plays so nice! Damn thing near plays itself! :)

The guitar is fantastic! It is now my main axe. It so extremely versatile that I find little reason to pick up any of my other guitars at the moment for what I've been playing. The feel of the neck is outstanding! So much comfort and fluidity and the 20" radius plays so nice! Damn thing near plays itself! :)

I agree with what Shauncho said. I might liquidate some of my guitars and invest in studio gears instead (or buy another Holcomb while I can). 20" radius is definitely in. I started using GHS fast fret and yes the guitar is unstoppable. Bending and vibrato is much easier without resistance/fretting out.

Thinking of getting one of these.

How different is this neck profile from a normal PRS pattern thin?

Has it been an easy transition for you guys?

thanks!

Thinking of getting one of these.

How different is this neck profile from a normal PRS pattern thin?

Has it been an easy transition for you guys?

thanks!

I believe it's still the same pattern thin profile on the back side, only difference is the fretboard radius which didn't really take any getting used to for me. It felt pretty normal right off the bat.

Back