Mark Holcomb Ltd Edition

Maybe I'll customize the order and add an artist grade top. For the extra couple hundred bucks I can be assured that it'll look all figurey and quilty and yummy.

Man I can't wait for tomorrow. Wish my local dealer shop was open on Mondays, lol.

Maybe I'll customize the order and add an artist grade top. For the extra couple hundred bucks I can be assured that it'll look all figurey and quilty and yummy.

Man I can't wait for tomorrow. Wish my local dealer shop was open on Mondays, lol.

It is a signature model, so I am pretty sure special ordering an artist grade top is out. Unfortunately, how "good" a ten top is can be quite subjective; what I think is amazing you might dislike and vice versa. What I recommend is that if a killer top is right up on the priority list, it might be wise to wait and look at some dealer stock and then snatch one up that you fancy.

It is a signature model, so I am pretty sure special ordering an artist grade top is out. Unfortunately, how "good" a ten top is can be quite subjective; what I think is amazing you might dislike and vice versa. What I recommend is that if a killer top is right up on the priority list, it might be wise to wait and look at some dealer stock and then snatch one up that you fancy.

:(

I saw somewhere that a guy paid a premium to have his Waring sigs with an artist top. I probably misread, though.

The only dealer within 3 hours of me only stocks SE models. My city has a lot of musicians, but being a primarily college & university city, a lot of the musicians can't afford top quality guitars so he doesn't bring in the higher end PRSi.

My only option is order one blindly, drive 3 hours to see if a non-local dealer has one and that it's really nice looking, or find a used one online next year.

I don't have a guitar at this point in time. Got rid of everything so I could "start over" and go back to the brand I know and love. Just in time for MH sig. I've never bought a new PRS just for this reason. Always gone used so I knew what I was getting.

I love figured wood. :tongue:

:(

I saw somewhere that a guy paid a premium to have his Waring sigs with an artist top. I probably misread, though.

The only dealer within 3 hours of me only stocks SE models. My city has a lot of musicians, but being a primarily college & university city, a lot of the musicians can't afford top quality guitars so he doesn't bring in the higher end PRSi.

My only option is order one blindly, drive 3 hours to see if a non-local dealer has one and that it's really nice looking, or find a used one online next year.

I don't have a guitar at this point in time. Got rid of everything so I could "start over" and go back to the brand I know and love. Just in time for MH sig. I've never bought a new PRS just for this reason. Always gone used so I knew what I was getting.

I love figured wood. :tongue:

Ahh you are in a similar situation to me; not a ton of high end PRS's around here either. I have had to order all of mine site unseen with no regrets at all. For this particular guitar, I am all about the killer specs, so a nice top would just be a bonus so to speak. That said, I can TOTALLY understand wanting everything up to your expectations when you drop this kind of money on a guitar. Ordering blind is always a gamble, but much less so with PRS than pretty much any other bigger guitar company; top figuring aside, you know you'll be a getting a quality instrument!

So, how many of you fine folks have one of these bad boys on order? It has been so long since I ordered a new PRS, I forgot all about the fun process waiting! Haha!

That Holcomb at Musicstorelive is a pre-order. They don't actually have it, unfortunately. The top on it matches the top on the one on the PRS site, haha.

Ahh you are in a similar situation to me; not a ton of high end PRS's around here either. I have had to order all of mine site unseen with no regrets at all. For this particular guitar, I am all about the killer specs, so a nice top would just be a bonus so to speak. That said, I can TOTALLY understand wanting everything up to your expectations when you drop this kind of money on a guitar. Ordering blind is always a gamble, but much less so with PRS than pretty much any other bigger guitar company; top figuring aside, you know you'll be a getting a quality instrument!

Yeah, it's all about the specs, and I'm stoked to even have the opportunity to own one. A killer top will be the added bonus for sure. I've had 5 PRSi so I know what I'm getting into. Just never had a brand new one. This will interesting!

I'll take pictures of my deposit slip and I'll count the days. Several times a day.

If you don't expect the top to be exactly like the advertised MH then you should be fine. I was disappointed with the Dustie Waring tops that came in, they generally weren't close to the promo guitar. It spooked me so much I cancelled my order and went with a nice Black Gold DW with an excellent top. I really wanted a Waring Burst but I really only saw one that measured up to the promo and Chris5150 beat me to it. So my thing is if you put a pre-order in, get an option to cancel in case you see a really good MH online. It could be that the production models will not look as good.

Here's a pic of the ones at the NAMM show. I'd guess that the odds of getting a top that looks like Marks private stock is probably not very likely. That said though, these still look pretty cool. Especially the Holcomb burst.

namm3_PRS-Mark-Holcomb-Periphery-1.jpg

Here's a pic of the ones at the NAMM show. I'd guess that the odds of getting a top that looks like Marks private stock is probably not very likely. That said though, these still look pretty cool. Especially the Holcomb burst.

namm3_PRS-Mark-Holcomb-Periphery-1.jpg

I'd be happy to get the top on the Holcomb Burst. The top on the red one isn't that great in my opinion. It could also be the color and the lighting making it look less quilty than it is.

I don't expect to get anywhere close to Mark's actual guitar, but based on the above pic, the one on the PRS site seems more and more plausible.

front.jpg

I'll be happy regardless. But I'll be happier if I get a top like in the PRSGuitars.com pic above. ;)

it'll be very worth it!

BTW, what was the delivery estimate you were given?

Last edited:
it'll be very worth it!

BTW, what was the delivery estimate you were given?

He still has to submit the order to PRS, but he said these things usually take 4-6 weeks, though if they pre-build a bunch, it could be as little as 2 weeks. He'll know once he contacts PRS and submits the order. Then he'll contact me as soon as he knows.

I'm hoping for 6 weeks, though. I put down $2500 cash, so I need to come up with another $1500 by delivery date. I don't want to use my CC for it if i can help it. I've got a good amount of cash coming in over the next few weeks that will cover the rest of the purchase.

Alright, gents! Heard back from my dealer. Estimated delivery date is end of May, so about 11-12 weeks.

I also upgraded to a paisley case from the standard HSC. Cost me an additional $225, but I love the paisley cases.

Last edited:
Ordered.

$xxxx. Ouch. Very ouch. It'll be worth it though!

You might find your posts edited by a mod - we aren't supposed to talk street pricing of "current" models. That's why I Xed out the price when I quoted you.

I'd suggest something along the lines of "a little more than MAP for a 10-top CU24, as you might expect". Or - "similar pricing to that shown on the sites linked by Raven".

Last edited:
You might find your posts edited by a mod - we aren't supposed to talk street pricing of "current" models. That's why I Xed out the price when I quoted you.

I'd suggest something along the lines of "a little more than MAP for a 10-top CU24, as you might expect". Or - "similar pricing to that shown on the sites linked by Raven".

Ah, wasn't aware. Thanks!

Back