March 1989 Guitar Player: Danny Gatton

Eichaan

http://www.ethanlewis.org/icarus/20...thirty-years-ago-in-guitar-player-march-1989/

In this month's "30 Years Ago", I focus on the Guitar Player magazine article from 30 years ago about Danny Gatton "the greatest unknown guitar player". It's a very interesting piece by Dan Forte that I really enjoyed at the time, but reading it decades later I find a sad subtext. As usual, the blog post also includes a great playlist. I hope you like it!

Mar-89-Cover-1-e1552835000229.jpg

The flexi-disc of Nit Pickin that came with that issue blew me away, I’d never heard of Danny Gatton before then. He was an outstanding player, check out the Telemaster instructional video...amazing!

That guy could play. I'll have to admit that a telecaster is the only non prs guitar I'd like to have.

Reactions: jxe
I'm fortunate enough to know someone who knew Danny, and has a guitar he once owned. I like the stories of how he "adjusted" the Tele bridges with a hammer.

Having grown up in the Washington, DC area, Danny was a local hero and legend. I saw him a bunch of times and the nickname 'The Humbler' was as accurate as nay description of any human being I've ever heard!

I remember seeing him one time at the Bayou down in Georgetown (a section of DC filled with bars and nightclubs) about a year before he killed himself. I was so humbled I went home and played for three or four hours trying to figure stuff out he had done... I never came close. But he left an impression on me, that's for sure.

Great Tele player! I read about Danny in 'Guitar For The Practicing Musician' magazine back in the 1980s.

Back