Maple Tonare Day

Man, that is beautiful. I've no doubt it'll sound awesome. :congrats:

Les- that is an amzing looking guitar and I'm sure it doesn't sound to shabby either. Congrats on the NGD and can't wait to hear your thoughts on it:cheers:

Well, several hours of playing later, I gotta say this is one heck of a great guitar. What's really interesting is that it has more subtlety than many maple guitars I've played and owned in the past! The sound is sparkly, but still warm, it doesn't get hard and cold sounding like some maple bodied instruments. It's got a sweet sound.

It's much more subtle, than, say, a J200, with more overtones on tap. It's warmer than my old maple Collings SJ, with less "hardness" to the note attack. Very interesting, and very cool.

It truly sustains forever. A note seems to ring out and hang around until you want it to stop.

Playability is fantastic. It's even easier to play than my Coco Tonare was. The finish is beautiful, more subtle than the pictures make it appear. The Adirondack Spruce top is clearer than most and more uniform in color, so it looks great with the back and sides.

In all, it's a winner, and I will have lots of work for it to do!

Been practicing with it all morning. The action doesn't seem particularly low, and yet my hands are not the slightest bit tired. It's so responsive! Plays like buttah.

I've been experimenting with different picks, so that I will know what to do for sessions, and it is like a pick microscope. Every nuance comes out. I can't wait to record it.

This one has the wider fingerboard; I was a little concerned that it might be more of a fingerpicker's deal than for a primarily pick player like me. But the string spacing feels very comfortable for flat picking and strumming, because I didn't even notice it. I did some fingerpicking with it just to experiment, and it felt great doing that, too.

I've always been curious about the difference between PS and production acoustics. So...how does it compare to what I recall of the coco Tonare Cusom?

Well, the very good news is that the production acoustics are absolutely built to the quality level of a PS. I think other than customization of the details, one difference is that the PS woods are spectacular, a little bit more select, and the playability of the PS is off the chart. Absolutely off the chart. I have no idea why. You look at it, and you don't really see anything different as a lay person. But it's there.

A new acoustic usually means a few days of breaking in my fingers, and getting used to the guitar, regardless of brand. Not this PS.

It was like playing a guitar I've worked with every day for years, right out of the box.

Always a pleasure to read your tone reports. I almost want to send you my guitars and get some feedback. I wonder what I would notice out of them after your review. It's almost like Scotch tasting.

Always a pleasure to read your tone reports. I almost want to send you my guitars and get some feedback. I wonder what I would notice out of them after your review. It's almost like Scotch tasting.

Then you and I should taste some Scotch together! I'd get about as far as two Scotches, and then you'd have to call an ambulance, but it would be fun until that happened. LOL

Thanks...actually, I'm not quite ready for a true tone report until I get this thing in front of a mic, and record the built in preamp thingy as well for comparison. But I appreciate the compliment!

I think that the past 24 years of working with my studio gear has made it easier for me to describe what I hear. Hard not to have that happen after all that time sitting and analyzing audio!

Back