Maple necks...

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by vchizzle, Jun 12, 2019.

1. jak3af3r

jak3af3r Slightly Older Than New Member

I have one Fender birdseye neck that loves to twist itself at random. Birdseye is, so I've been told, one of the more unstable grain structures of maple. My personal experience working with flame maple and straight grain rock maple also shows curly maple has a tendency to warp after it has been cut even when properly dried. My guess is PRS is uncompromising when it comes to wood selection and probably does not hesitate to scrap a neck going bad for a good one.

On the original subject, I don't like the way maple looks on set-neck guitars. I'm more of a rosewood guy.

LSchefman likes this.
  2. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 New Member

Mine were a 72 RI Tele Thinline and a 2016 American Standard...both needed tuning every time I picked them up. The Warmoth was unfinished and never needed adjustment. Great necks those Warmoth !

LSchefman and pauloqs like this.
  3. veinbuster

veinbuster Freeze zone

I’m like Alnus and Bodia on this: none of mine have a problem. Even when I use a neck vibrato on my SAS, it stays in tune.

bodia likes this.
  4. Glide-bpm

Glide-bpm We were small but we were slow...

No problem with this one...

[​IMG]

5. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Plugged In.

I love maple necks, period.

LSchefman, vchizzle and Glide-bpm like this.
  6. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

I think so to!:D

LSchefman, bodia and Glide-bpm like this.
  7. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

Xactly.

LSchefman, shimmilou and WA Paul like this.
  8. vchizzle

vchizzle Birdman.

All but one of my guitars have hog necks. It’s obviously my preference. That maple neck on my NF3 is my favorite feeling neck though. I’ve been interested in getting another maple neck. There’s been a couple I’ve missed out on though due to lack of funds. I played an SS recently which good too, though not nice as the NF3. I need to get to a store sometime that has the same models with both necks and see how I feel about them. In my head, I think it’d be useful to have a guitar that’s closer to my norm but with the maple neck, have a little more “zing” and cut. Maybe it would pop a little more in the band mix. Maybe not?

LSchefman, bodia and veinbuster like this.
  9. Tone-y

Tone-y New Member

My Fender Eric Johnson Strat has a quarter sawn maple neck and it is super stiff and stable. So stiff in fact that it is hard to get any neck relief. I have found it impossible to set up with 9s as they just don't have enough tension to move the neck with the truss rod completely slacked off.

LSchefman and bodia like this.
  10. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I’ve had 5 PRS electrics with a maple neck, and the neck on my maple Tonare is also maple. None has had a stability problem. PRS dries the wood carefully, and the necks ‘rest’ for quite a while after they’re cut, so that they stabilize before they’re finished.

On an electric, mahogany is my usual preference, but I currently have one electric with a maple neck, a 594 with humbuckers. Sounds close enough to a mahogany 594 in the bridge position that the differences aren’t very large. In the neck position, you hear that “flute” tone, that’s a little more scooped than mahogany models, and it’s an interesting guitar. But the differences are more subtle, at least on this one. I play it a lot!

I don’t really feel that it has more zing or cut; it’s more that there are subtle details about it that are a bit different. It’s definitely not going to jump out in a mix any more than a mahogany neck 594. I often forget that it even has a maple neck.

I need a gloss finish on any neck; the satin finishes don’t feel right (for me). Obviously, this one has it. The guitar is finished in Black Gold. This one has a BRW fretboard. An ebony or maple board might have more cut?

Here’s a shot of the neck that Jack Gretz sent me before shipping it:

[​IMG]

#30 LSchefman, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Black Plaid, Glide-bpm, bodia and 7 others like this.
  11. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy

I do love to see a stained maple neck that matches the body (and preferably the back of the body and maybe the headstock veneer too). If the body is Mahogany as is the norm, I would be OK if its a 'single' and complimentary colour that still shows the grain. For example, if the neck is a Fire Red burst, I would want the Mahogany body to be more on the 'red' side as is the norm for the Fire Red Burst (not a wrap style) guitars.

I don't like 'light' necks/fretboard as a lot of Maple neck guitars have. I don't know if I would want it to be as 'busy' as the back is - carry the colour round to the front and would prefer a Rosewood or Ebony fret board over a light or highly figured maple fretboard.

This Black Gold neck is stunning and I would be very happy to own a guitar that looks this stunning. Being a PRS, things like playability, craftsmanship and quality tones are a given of course...

LSchefman likes this.
  12. Tonart

Tonart Tone of the Art......or is that backwards?

I have a few but honestly I find maple necks have a very strange tone. It’s like part Strat but not all the way. It’s kinda “flat” sounding, like a plateau terrain as opposed to hilly. Or “matte” instead of gloss. Fail at describing tone again.

#32 Tonart, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    shimmilou likes this.
  13. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

If you had a better amp, you could hear the tone differences in the woods.

[​IMG]

Les..........I kid, I kid!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

14. Tonart

Tonart Tone of the Art......or is that backwards?

My maples. Oops I’m showing the wrong side..
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I blame Toobs.

16. vchizzle

vchizzle Birdman.

Had a ‘97 SAS quite awhile. Was a great sounding guitar. I was hunting for a newer swamp ash narrowfield or studio for awhile but didn’t find one at a price I wanted, then the NF3 popped up and I had to have it. I’d still like one of newer swampies cause I like the feel of the neck.

bodia and veinbuster like this.
  17. veinbuster

veinbuster Freeze zone

I played my sort of NF3 today, and it really is a great guitar. Fantastic range. I stayed mostly in the straty space for a change of pace. It happens to be the lightest solid body I have at 6.04lb.
    [​IMG]

18. Casi1

Casi1 New Member

I love the satin feel on the PRS maple necks. I’ve had a DC3, two SAS NF, and a 513 with maple necks; they all had that punchy clear sound and smooth/raw feel. There was none of that dreadful sticky neck and fretboard feel. I loved those guitars ... but I no longer own them (mostly due to my evolving neck shape preferences).

I’m sure that my next PRS will have a satin maple neck (but without stain... cause the stain makes my eyes scream, lol).

bodia and CyFan4036 like this.
  19. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

I'm with you on this. Some people dig it, but I ain't one of 'em!

Casi1 likes this.
  20. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I’ve had a lot of PRSes in 28 years, and have done way too much buying/selling, etc. For a long time I was obsessed with the looks and details, but for the last few years, not so much, though I’m still easily seduced by a pretty one when I’m shopping!

When I was going to post a pic on this thread, I actually had to check that Northern Lights PS to see whether it had a mahogany or maple neck, because I couldn’t remember. Yet I play it a couple of times per week (I like to rotate among them).

Shows how rarely I look at the backs or necks - usually it’s just to clean them.

If I’m lucky enough to buy another PRS, I’m thinking it’ll be a DGT gold top with moons. I’ve thought that something traditional and simple would be great!

bodia, Mozzi and veinbuster like this.