Maple Necks On Acoustics?

watelessness

Yesterday i stumbled onto a guitar with a rosewood body, a spruce top, and .... wait for it.... a maple neck. Huh. Oh, and a very odd headstock. Huh. A maple neck. Huh.

So i listened to it for a while and was besotted. Then i played it and wept, for alas, i found myself in sonic love.

I'm not much of an acoustic player so i dont really keep up with all the trends but i do not recall ever seeing a maple neck on an acoustic before. Why not?

Oh, yeah, so i went back today, and, well, you know what happened...

A luthier friend of mine built an acoustic in 2017, spruce top, flamed walnut back and sides and flamed maple neck. It has the sweetest tone, so I can imagine what tonal nirvana you found!

My Guild D64 has maple sides, back, and neck. All very flamey including the neck! Spruce top, of course.

My Taylor 214ce QM DLX (quilted maple deluxe, very similar to some of the recent PRS offerings with maple (laminate) bodies, has a rock maple neck.

Overall the guitar is a bit brighter and snappier, which is what I wanted when I bought it.

I do prefer my T50E for overall playability, though - nothing beats a PRS neck, IMHO (for my hands).

Works for me on this one!!!

iO8CvxQ.jpg

I had a Guild dread with a maple neck, back and sides that was a great sounding guitar. Was stolen from me almost 20 years ago.

Yesterday i stumbled onto a guitar with a rosewood body, a spruce top, and .... wait for it.... a maple neck. Huh. Oh, and a very odd headstock. Huh. A maple neck. Huh.

So i listened to it for a while and was besotted. Then i played it and wept, for alas, i found myself in sonic love.

I'm not much of an acoustic player so i dont really keep up with all the trends but i do not recall ever seeing a maple neck on an acoustic before. Why not?

Oh, yeah, so I went back today, and, well, you know what happened...

It is odd, I suppose. Mine has maple neck, solid spruce top, and a round composite back..that being said, it's definitely anything but an atypical. Meh, I've never been accused of being atypical myself...so it's kinda "special" like me.:confused:o_O

Congrats on your new mystery maple necked acoustic guitar...cough, cough...hello kitty uke...cough, cough.;):D

C'MAAAAN MAN! Where's the pic?o_O:D

Last edited:
My Hummingbird sounds terrific.

DANGIT MAN! Okay dude what gives? How do you do that? C'man man, what's the secret to getting the most beautiful specimen of EVERY guitar? C'MON man...I gotta know.
Do you supply your own wood? Do you own your own forest full of exotic guitar trees. Oh, wait...or do you just make em an offer they "can't" refuse? What's the secret.o_O

Oh and @Tosca that goes for you too! Spill bro....is there a poor horseless head under the sheets in your method? o_O:D

Last edited:
DANGIT MAN! Okay dude what gives? How do you do that? C'man man, what's the secret to getting the most beautiful specimen of EVERY guitar? C'MON man...I gotta know.
Do you supply your own wood? Do you own your own forest full of exotic guitar trees. Oh, wait...or do you just make em an offer they "can't" refuse? What's the secret.o_O

Oh and @Tosca that goes for you too! Spill bro....is there a poor horseless head under the sheets in your method? o_O:D

Well, now.....I can recall the story of a slab of Brazilian Rosewood being shipped off to Germany, carved into a bookmatched top for a guitar, mated to an insanely figured maple neck. Okay, now.....NOT an acoustic. But if you have the wood, guitar builders may tend to be accommodating.....

You will not likely find another quite like it......
ETA....The only picture I have handy. I suppose "Insanely" is in the eye of the beholder, but this will work for me. And, thanks to 11top!

Last edited:
Well, now.....I can recall the story of a slab of Brazilian Rosewood being shipped off to Germany, carved into a bookmatched top for a guitar, mated to an insanely figured maple neck. Okay, now.....NOT an acoustic. But if you have the wood, guitar builders may tend to be accommodating.....

Amazing!!!! ...but we kinda need a pic of that insanely figured maple neck to go with the theme of this thread...

ETA....The only picture I have handy. I suppose "Insanely" is in the eye of the beholder, but this will work for me. And, thanks to 11top!

I bought that BRW years ago at NAMM, and I held it for years looking for the right project. It seemed expensive at the time. Now I’d buy a semi load at that price.

I feel fortunate to own a Breedlove Voice Concert...spruce top, myrtlewood back and sides, Big Leaf Maple neck. It has such a balanced and beautiful tone that just gets better as it ages.

Back