Maple neck fretboard finish

justmund

Plank Spanker
So I recently picked up a 2nd hand guitar (yeah I know, no NGD yet but this one won't remain standard for long so I didn't see the point), and I went to change the strings because I wanted to play it at a gig at least once.

Once I got the strings off I started noticing the frets were a little rough in places, and on closer inspection, there's some sort of hard, clear stuff on them, especially on the edges, but some on the tops on the higher frets (the less oft played ones). I tried quickly to scrape it off with my fingernails but that didn't work, because the stuff is so close to the board I'm loath to use anything metal to get the stuff off. I'm considering a refret since there's a bit of fret wear anyway.

Question is, what is it? It's a nitro finished neck but surely the necks are fretted after the nitro has been applied right?

Did the previous owner use some sort of fret lubricant/board treatment and it's just built up to a solid coating over the years?

Any hints on how to get it off?

Thx

This + elbow grease:

x-acto-knife.jpg

When I build a maple neck I fret then spray nitro. When you fret level and dress the frets it comes off the tops. Use fine steel wool and it should help do the trick.

Last edited:
Back