Maple neck 594?

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
I know what a maple neck does in terms of tone. Those who have or have played a maple neck 594, do you like the tonal effect it has on this guitar? Or is the standard mahogany neck where it’s at for this model, shooting for the warmer vintage ilk.

There’s a pair of maple necked goddesses that’d I’d love to try or buy. That’s not gonna happen anyway but I need something guitar related to ponder.

Mahogany is the standard option. But if you have a chance to buy a Flame Maple neck, just do it and use your tone a knob a little more.
PRS2017-594RiverBlue03.jpg

I've only had this glorious beast a few days and I haven't put it down long enough to try and compare it against my other 594.
They have a Different shape & different fretboard anyway, so I'm not sure that I would only be hearing the neck wood.
qg47bkgxaldo4vyalmme-1024x768.jpg

But I'm interested to hear from the others here what they think

I have owned both mahogany neck and currently maple neck.
I was actually surprised how nearly identical they sound.
is within the range of normal guitar to guitar variability.
I learned it on a Stratocaster that a maple neck doesn't always make a guitar brighter.
I have a Fender deluxe I didn't like the small frets so I bought a $400 warmoth premium flame maple with jumbo frets.
it may have been slightly heavier piece of wood, because it darkened the tone of the guitar noticeably. but it also filled out the bottom a bit.
I've changed it back several times to confirm what I was hearing but it's actually perfect on that Stratocaster just takes the ice pick off.
knocks the highs down just slightly so it totally depends on the piece of wood, slightly lighter thinner piece of Maple versus a slightly heavier flame maple caused more bass out of the guitar. the Test

I have owned both mahogany neck and currently maple neck.
I was actually surprised how nearly identical they sound.
is within the range of normal guitar to guitar variability.
I learned it on a Stratocaster that a maple neck doesn't always make a guitar brighter.
I have a Fender deluxe I didn't like the small frets so I bought a $400 warmoth premium flame maple with jumbo frets.
it may have been slightly heavier piece of wood, because it darkened the tone of the guitar noticeably. but it also filled out the bottom a bit.
I've changed it back several times to confirm what I was hearing but it's actually perfect on that Stratocaster just takes the ice pick off.
knocks the highs down just slightly so it totally depends on the piece of wood, slightly lighter thinner piece of Maple versus a slightly heavier flame maple caused more bass out of the guitar. the Test
Interesting!

I have a 594 with a maple neck, and one with mahogany. I love both.

The neck pickup tone is a little more “hollow/flutey” with the maple. I can’t speak to brightness, since mine has a BRW board, that’s different from my other one that has IRW; I generally find BRW a tiny bit more percussive.

I have a 594 with a maple neck, and one with mahogany. I love both.

The neck pickup tone is a little more “hollow/flutey” with the maple. I can’t speak to brightness, since mine has a BRW board, that’s different from my other one that has IRW; I generally find BRW a tiny bit more percussive.
Both of yours are soapies, right?

Both of yours are soapies, right?

No, the maple one is humbuckers. I should’ve pointed that out, but I’ve played a bunch of mahogany 594s with humbuckers, and I feel pretty confident about maple being a nice combination with the 594.

I meant to say that they sound different acoustically also.

Back