Maple fingerboards on SE models...

sg54

I recently visited my local GC looking for a MM Axis but was disappointed with what I found. I picked up a PRS Custom 24 and it was love at first note. Just an exquisite instrument in every regard, but the cost is too rich for me so I checked out the SE's. I have small hands and prefer a thin neck and I also prefer the feel, tone and look of maple fingerboards. Unless I'm missing something, none of the SE's are available with a maple fingerboard. Just wondering if this is true and, if so, why not? The 305 and DC3 models are available with maple fretboards, for example, so it's not like PRS doesn't make them.

There are maple necks and ebony boards available on SEs; ebony isn't too far off in tone from a good maple board, and it feels great.

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me which model(s) for maple? I know there are six models available in ebony, but not aware of any in maple. BTW, I may go with ebony or even rosewood. Just wondering why the lack of maple fingerboards.

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me which model(s) for maple? I know there are six models available in ebony, but not aware of any in maple. BTW, I may go with ebony or even rosewood. Just wondering why the lack of maple fingerboards.

The maple neck models are listed in the specs on the various models on PRS' website. I forget which ones. The fingerboards are not maple. Haven't a clue why.

Got it, thanks again. I don't have a clue why either. I personally think this is an unfortunate oversight.

I don't think it's an oversight but a carefully considered marketing and sales plan. There has been a S style SE and that was the EG. Admittedly a set hog neck but the familiar pick guard with 3 x single coils was there.

Right now there are 3 different maple neck 3 x "single coil" USA PRSes, 2 with pick guards and bolt on necks, and we can all agree they do all the Strat thing better than a Strat (yes I realise that's a dumb statement, but you get my point). They also happen to be some of the cheapest of the USA models.

If PRS were to release a bolt on maple SE, what void would it be filling? I honestly think it would detract from the sales of the other 3, and if it wasn't any good (unlikely) then it would just be another Strat or super-Strat copy.

Also the finish on the USA maple necks is amazing, and needs to be kept on the premium models.

There are maple necks and ebony boards available on SEs; ebony isn't too far off in tone from a good maple board, and it feels great.

I bought my Orianthi SE for this exact reason and I use it all the time, it had a really unique feature set when introduced that wasn't available in a US model. I think of SE's more as guitars that expand the PRS line, not replications of US models. Check out an "O"!

I bought my Orianthi SE for this exact reason and I use it all the time, it had a really unique feature set when introduced that wasn't available in a US model. I think of SE's more as guitars that expand the PRS line, not replications of US models. Check out an "O"!

Every SE I've played has been super-nice. They are true PRSes.

IF a dealer wanted a run of any SE with maple boards, it could be done.

Back