Maple Cap

Vegvisir

Hello people, i wonder how would you "Grade" this maple top, i love it but i have a "Discusion" with my friends and id like to hear your opinions, please base your opinion on the top only, not hardware or inlays, would you say its a core, top 10, artist, wood library?

z2ovPykr.jpg

One of my friends says those stripes are "Dead spots" i love them because i think it makes it unique but if they are dead spots how can it be used by PRS USA?

It even has a stripe on the mahogany back
2sIz8Ef.jpg

I’d give it a 10 on a scale of A-AAAA.

In all seriousness I don’t put much stock in arbitrary grading systems. If you like it that’s all that matters, but I personally think that top is really unique and super cool.

Thanks guys i see that you can see what i mean, full flame looks like it should be, but this one looks perfect (To me) i was curious because its a 2002 Custom 24 Artist Package and i though it was weird after hearing my friend, the fretboard its suposed to be Indian Rosewood but its so dark you cant even see the grain

Ok, I’ll bite. From what I’ve picked up, it’s all about the symmetry, match, and consistency of the character (flame or quilt). My first guess would be that it’s a non-10 top. Doesn’t mean it’s ugly or a reject...just on the factors above, after CNC and sanding, the flame didn’t match up. There are ones out there that have “10” in the pickup cavity but not on the headstock because the flame didn’t hold up after carve and sanding. It’s not like giving Bo Derek an “8” because it’s still beautiful!

Actually, it’s an Artist top if it’s an Artist package model, and with good reason - it’s amazing looking.

I have a 594 Soapbar with an unusually wide band in the flame near the pickups, that’s a 10; PRS photographed it for one of the website model examples, to give you some idea of what they think looks good.

Ultimately, the guitars aren’t about the decor, but it’s nice to have a pretty one.

The wide area on this one is (to me) distinctive, and interesting. I like it as much as my more conventional-looking Private Stocks:

TtHSCxL.jpg

Hello people, i wonder how would you "Grade" this maple top, i love it but i have a "Discusion" with my friends and id like to hear your opinions, please base your opinion on the top only, not hardware or inlays, would you say its a core, top 10, artist, wood library?

z2ovPykr.jpg

In my humble opinion.... The figuring seems to wash out a bit along the back end so, technically speaking, I think that it could be officially considered to be a Core line, non-10 top. However... the top is stunning in appearance and the 10-top scale is not related to how good it looks but rather whether it has an interrupted figuring or not. It is close to a Wood Library or a 10-top designation but only misses that grade on a technicality. But it is a very good looking top and I would not hesitate to have a top like that in my collection.

Back