Mans best friend....the thread...l'll start...

Thanks to all for the kind words. This sucks, but y'all have definitely helped.
So sorry to hear this. :(

We lost our Jack Russell “Tripper” almost a ear ago. Our Golden Retriever “Rudy” was so crushed it was heartbreaking. For months he moped around, wouldn’t play, was just very clearly sad. Poor thing would look every time we walked in the door, like he thought Tripper would be with us, and he kept going all over our back yard, like he was looking for him.

Well, it was time to fix that. Those of you who follow me on Instagram already know, but just over a month ago, we made a decision that for the first time, instead of picking a breed and all that, we’d rescue one. Roxy has been home for 6 weeks tomorrow, so she’s now 14 weeks old. It took Rudy a couple weeks to accept her, because she is VERY playful, but a puppy so she bites a lot and had razor teeth. But now they are absolutely inseparable. They play constantly and Rudy loves his new little sister. We’re camping this week but I’ll put up a pic when I can. They told us at the Humane Society, that the mother is terrier/beagle mix, and the father was a neighbors pure bred Blue Healer. Whatever she is, she sure is cute.

Last edited by a moderator:
Friend, I am so saddened that Dixie isn’t by your side, but the Rainbow Bridge eases all her worldly maladies. Sending thoughts and prayers from our family. Downstairs is my girl Patches, she is approaching 16………

So sorry to hear this. :(

We lost our Jack Russell “Tripper” almost a ear ago. Our Golden Retriever “Rudy” was so crushed it was heartbreaking. For months he moped around, wouldn’t play, was just very clearly sad. Poor thing would look every time we walked in the door, like he thought Tripper would be with us, and he kept going all over our back yard, like he was looking for him.

Well, it was time to fix that. Those of you who follow me on Instagram already know, but just over a month ago, we made a decision that for the first time, instead of picking a bread and all that, we’d rescue one. Roxy has been home for 6 weeks tomorrow, so she’s now 14 weeks old. It took Rudy a couple weeks to accept her, because she is VERY playful, but a puppy so she bites a lot and had razor teeth. But now they are absolutely inseparable. They play constantly and Rudy loves his new little sister. We’re camping this week but I’ll put up a pic when I can. They told us at the Humane Society, that the mother is terrier/beagle mix, and the father was a neighbors pure bred Blue Healer. Whatever she is, she sure is cute.

We need puppy pics....

My sweet Dixie girl is gone.

Yesterday morning she started throwing up grass. Not unlike her. She didn't eat breakfast, which is very unlike her. She was still sick, then she threw up a decent chunk of a rope pull toy, so we thought that was perhaps it. She didn't eat dinner, and was vomiting more through the evening, and she was clearly miserable all night, waking us up frequently to take her outside.

We called our vet at 8 am and had her scheduled for 11. Dixie couldn't even get up to walk to the car, we carried her in a blanket. The vet came out to the car to meet us, and she felt a mass in Dixie's abdomen. She said it was either an obstruction or cancer. She could have done exploratory surgery, as x-rays won't show soft obstructions like socks, but she said at Dixie's age it was 50/50 at best for her survival of the surgery. She also said the recovery would be long and painful for her. So, we made the call no one wants to make. We stayed with Dixie til the end, and it was very peaceful.

Run free, sweet Dixie, and say hi to Rosie for me.

DixieHi.jpg
I’m So sorry I just now saw your post. My heart goes out to you and yours. Mine are 14 and 15 and they are slowly but surely slowing down. I dread the day more than words can describe. Hang in there bro. The bright side is she knew she was loved. Sending bro hugs.:(

As a public service announcement:

Dogs eat stuff, bless thier furry little hearts. We've learned through the years to use hydrogen peroxide to get them to throw up when necessary. Keep fresh hydrogen peroxide and a children's medical syringe and use these amounts. This has saved multiple vet visits over the years.

I’m So sorry I just now saw your post. My heart goes out to you and yours. Mine are 14 and 15 and they are slowly but surely slowing down. I dread the day more than words can describe. Hang in there bro. The bright side is she knew she was loved. Sending bro hugs.:(

Thanks for this. Yeah, it's tough as they age, knowing it's coming. We still have our other 2, who are 9 and 9.5. Hoping like hell that both of them make it past 12, since that's the age at which we lost Dixie last month and Rosie in 2019.

As a public service announcement:

Dogs eat stuff, bless thier furry little hearts. We've learned through the years to use hydrogen peroxide to get them to throw up when necessary. Keep fresh hydrogen peroxide and a children's medical syringe and use these amounts. This has saved multiple vet visits over the years.

REALLY good to know! Thanks for sharing.

Here's my little scruffy mutt. You can really see the healer in her with all those silver hairs mixed in the the black and brown. Too much light in this pic. I'll get a better one. She's 5 months old now.

c9yPUBr.jpg

Back