Mannmade for S2 2040 vs 2000NOS?

S2C22

Does anyone know if the 2040 is a drop-in replacement? I wasn't sure, as it noted for "pre-2017" Core, CE, & S2.. Mine is a 2019 S2 Custom 22.

The 2000NOS seems to not be in stock, so I may go for the 2040. Anybody have any advice on the difference? I'm having tuning issues, and I also like the fact that the Mannmade keeps the saddles from moving with a better design!

Do you know what is causing your tuning issue? Nut, tuners, bridge, too many wraps on posts? Have you lubed the nut and bridge pivot points? Are the bridge mounting screws all even? Would be a shame to spend hundreds of dollars and still have an issue.

I've thought about trying a Mann bridge, but every PRS guitar that I have, stays in tune wonderfully after a little setup tweaking and locking tuners, and sound darned good, so not necessary, just a want. My S2 Studio had slight binding in the nut slot for the G, but now that's sorted and it stays in tune perfectly, even with heavy whammy use.

Does anyone know if the 2040 is a drop-in replacement? I wasn't sure, as it noted for "pre-2017" Core, CE, & S2.. Mine is a 2019 S2 Custom 22.

The 2000NOS seems to not be in stock, so I may go for the 2040. Anybody have any advice on the difference? I'm having tuning issues, and I also like the fact that the Mannmade keeps the saddles from moving with a better design!

I'd give John a call at his store. I'm not sure why the 2040 would be pre-2017. I don't know what would have changed to make that the case.

As for the differences, the NOS is one piece, the 2040 is two. I've used the NOS twice, and have been extremely happy with them.

While I love the Mann made trems I have, they won’t be the solution to keep your guitar in tune. You didn’t tell us if you changed string gauges, had a professional setup by someone who knows PRS guitars well, or decked the trem. Most of my PRSi have trems, and they all stay on tune, from core to Korean. My S2’s are my fave to gig on, and they have the stock trems. Also, is the guitar broken in for trem use? Remember, a new trem will change the tone, and better or worse is subjective, to your ears only. Also, how old are the strings, and how often do you change them? More info, please.

The “pre-2017” only applies to the core models. It will fit in any S2. I got the 2040. Can’t tell you it’s a huge improvement but I liked the look of polished saddles and chassis better than the stock. Feels smoother so I’d imagine it balances and returns to zero better.

Installation is a bit tricky. Make sure you use your own 2.5mm hex wrench as the “feeler” gauge. My package didn’t come with the right size and ended up installing it too low which caused all sorts of issues. I finally figured it out.

Guitar is new, and has had a set up. I had the trem blocked, (professionally), so I could drop-D, and dive use only.

The nut seems fine, no pings, dings, doinks when tuning. Tuners are the factory locking. When using the bar for any diving, it returns to pitch sharp, which is odd, considering there's a block in it!

Again, I dislike the fact that the saddles can shift side to side. The Mannmade seems to eliminate that, by design. This would certainly give it a better "feel".

I thought the S2's and SE shares the same trem? My SE CU22 Semi trem keeps the saddles captive so they can't move side to side...
When my guitar was new the tuning stability was horrible ...it was the cheap strings in my case.

I thought the S2's and SE shares the same trem? My SE CU22 Semi trem keeps the saddles captive so they can't move side to side...
When my guitar was new the tuning stability was horrible ...it was the cheap strings in my case.

They do. The S2 has the same bridge as the SE. However, the saddles do certainly have enough travel to move side to side.

They do. The S2 has the same bridge as the SE. However, the saddles do certainly have enough travel to move side to side.
That sucks, mine are tight. I went and checked when I read this thread. Bummer though, I hope the new trem is better for you.

TUNING ISSUE TROUBLESHOOTING CHECKLIST

1. Is bridge installed correctly?
a. Watch video -
b. Saddle height should match fingerboard radius.
c. Saddles should be parallel to the bridge plate. Both height set screws should be the same height, NOT angled!

2. Is nut installed correctly?
a. Strings should pass thru the nut in a straight line.
b. Strings should not bind, pinch or stick in the string slot.
c. Do you hear “pinging” when tuning up to pitch? That is a clear sign that the string in pinched in the string slot.
d. If guitar is equipped with a vibrato (tremolo) bridge, the nut should be made of a material that self- lubricates.

3. Are tuners installed correctly?
a. Tuners should be mounted securely, with no looseness (free play or wiggle).
b. Are strings relatively new? “Dead” strings tend not to hold their tuning.
c. Always tune up to pitch (not down). The tuning gear must have pressure on the gears to hold tuning properly.
d. Are the strings properly wound on the tuner peg? The string should self-lock on itself to eliminate any slippage. How to do it - http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/tuners.html
e. If guitar is equipped with a vibrato (tremolo) bridge, locking tuners are a must.

4. Are frets dressed and level?
a. Excessive fret wear will cause a note to play out of tune.

5. Is truss rod properly adjusted?

6. Is guitar properly intonated?

7. Are pickups set too close to the strings?
a. Pickups that are set too close to the strings will cause the guitar to go out of tune, due to the magnetic pull of the pickup magnets.

I think I got her dialed in. The 2040 made a HUGE difference! Tones are thick, fat, and resonance is really beautiful. Paired with the Duncan Custom in the bridge, it's a real screamer!

I think I got her dialed in. The 2040 made a HUGE difference! Tones are thick, fat, and resonance is really beautiful. Paired with the Duncan Custom in the bridge, it's a real screamer!

Nice!

Posted this in a thread on the general discussion and realized I meant to post it in this forum:

I just bought a 2018 CE 24 and am trying to decide whether to wait for the 2000 NOS to be back in stock (August or September per John Mann) or buy the 2040 now. I get the difference between 1 and 2 pieces, but not what effect it has. Does anyone have any experience with both? Do they sound or perform different? Or materially different? Appreciate any help

I think the logic is that a one piece milled bridge has the best vibration transfer, resonance, etc.

I put a 2000NOS on my S2 Standard Satin (along with a 59/09 bridge pickup), it’s a righteous sounding guitar.
Thanks. I just got off the phone with them. I'm on the waitlist for a 2000NOS, but they said they will be few and far between :/

There is another big difference between the 2000 and the 2040; namely, type of brass. The 2000 is cast from red brass. The 2040 is machined from yellow brass billets. I was on the fence with my 2019 CE24. I could have waited until John found someone who could cast bridge blanks that are up to his spec (all of the first run 2000 bridges were machined from blanks that were cast when John was making Gen 1 bridges from PRS; hence, the "NOS" designation) or I could purchase a 2040. The 2040 bridge is like the Gen 2 PRS bridge on steroids. It is a thing of beauty that has to be seen in the live. Red brass is 90% copper/10% zinc. Yellow brass is 70% copper/30% zinc. In my humble opinion, after playing guitars with gen 1, gen 2, and the 2040, the 2040 bridge is the most musical of the bunch. A 2000 bridge may be good in a bright instrument, but it is definitely the darkest of the bunch. The ability to swap the brass block out for a machined steel block is a huge plus for the 2040. One has to hold the 2040 and the molded trem in one's hands to truly respect what John is doing for the community. The molded trem is like a toy in comparison.

Last edited:
There is another big difference between the 2000 and the 2040; namely, type of brass. The 2000 is cast from red brass. The 2040 is machined from yellow brass billets. I was on the fence with my 2019 CE24. I could have waited until John found someone who could cast bridge blanks that are up to his spec (all of the first run 2000 bridges were machined from blank that were cast when John was making Gen 1 bridges from PRS; hence, the "NOS" designation) or I could purchase a 2040. The 2040 bridge is like the Gen 2 PRS bridge on steroids. It is a thing of beauty that has to be seen in the live. Red brass is 90% copper/10% zinc. Yellow brass is 70% copper/30% zinc. In my humble opinion, after playing guitars with gen 1, gen 2, and the 2040, the 2040 bridge is the most musical of the bunch. A 2000 bridge may be good in bright instrument, but it is definitely the darkest of the bunch. The ability to swap the brass block out for a machined steel block is a huge plus for the 2040. One has to hold the 2040 and the molded trem in one's hands to truly respect what John is doing for the community. The molded trem is like a toy in comparison.
Oh wow. What an incredibly informative post. Thank you! So that's one definite vote for the 2040. Of course the CE is a bright instrument and I wouldn't mind darkening it a bit, but it's really not overly bright. Certainly not as bright as my Strat. And you've got the 2040 in your CE and love it. hmm

Does John usually always have the 2040s in stock? I just got the guitar and don't think I'm ready to jump on the bridge yet. Want to live with it for a bit before making any major changes.

Also seems like waiting on the 2000 may be a loooong wait if at all...

Oh wow. What an incredibly informative post. Thank you! So that's one definite vote for the 2040. Of course the CE is a bright instrument and I wouldn't mind darkening it a bit, but it's really not overly bright. Certainly not as bright as my Strat. And you've got the 2040 in your CE and love it. hmm

Does John usually always have the 2040s in stock? I just got the guitar and don't think I'm ready to jump on the bridge yet. Want to live with it for a bit before making any major changes.

Also seems like waiting on the 2000 may be a loooong wait if at all...

From what I understand, the 2040 is something that John has in stock on a fairly regular basis.

Back