Mannmade Bridge thoughts - SE Cu 22 SemiHollow

Adding a visual to this thread - This is the SE Cu22 Semi I've offered up for discussion. As mentioned, still not finished - but it keeps getting better with each improvement. My quest with all my guitars is to try to milk every ounce of tone and playability out of it I can. My belief is what you're looking for in tone and playability is most times a few tweaks away from satisfaction rather than just keep buying more guitars and hoping they arrive the way you want it. Although I'm guilty of the latter at times. :)
That’s just a beautiful guitar, and I like your ideas.There does come a point when you have to take your foot off the gas. Curiously, I haven’t felt the need to do anything to my S2 & Core. The SE’s on the other hand.............I’m not at Sergio’s level, but I did what I thought was necessary.

46OJwlj.jpg

Hahahahaha

I will soon - for now can I just put tape over them an you be okay? :)

I’ll be fine.

Damn, that’s a good lookin’ guitar! I bought the version right before this that has a stoptail (same color too) and did the whole upgrade bit. It’s a nice guitar for sure, and might possibly be one of the better sounding amplified guitars I own.

I’ll be fine.

Damn, that’s a good lookin’ guitar! I bought the version right before this that has a stoptail (same color too) and did the whole upgrade bit. It’s a nice guitar for sure, and might possibly be one of the better sounding amplified guitars I own.

This one is growing on me :) BTW, the 85/15 S with an A4 is a dream tone in the neck. :)

I’m gonna break with some of the opinions of some very nice people and say; I agree that a MannMade or Core Trem will improve the tuning stability of an SE or S2.

For what must be the hundredth time I’ve foamed at the mouth over this, the blocks of SE/S2 trems need burnishing in the string holes, or they gotta make ‘em slightly bigger.

The balls of the strings can get stuck in awkward positions in the block because of this, which could be an advantage if they all got stuck at the very top of the block... but they don’t. They’ll randomly get pinched at different spots in the shaft/hole while stringing and while depressing the arm in use.

It’s annoying, and is the only real quibble I have with the unit. Otherwise there are times where I feel the steel (or is it zinc?) block is actually preferable tone-wise on certain guitars.

I’m gonna break with some of the opinions of some very nice people and say; I agree that a MannMade or Core Trem will improve the tuning stability of an SE or S2.

For what must be the hundredth time I’ve foamed at the mouth over this, the blocks of SE/S2 trems need burnishing in the string holes, or they gotta make ‘em slightly bigger.

The balls of the strings can get stuck in awkward positions in the block because of this, which could be an advantage if they all got stuck at the very top of the block... but they don’t. They’ll randomly get pinched at different spots in the shaft/hole while stringing and while depressing the arm in use.

It’s annoying, and is the only real quibble I have with the unit. Otherwise there are times where I feel the steel (or is it zinc?) block is actually preferable tone-wise on certain guitars.

I've ran into the string ball sticking issue and it's annoying and not understandable that it continues to be a problem given PRS's attention to overall quality efforts. This particular guitar is basically brand new. First time I restrung - no ball sticking, the next few times - it reared its' ugly head. At minimum, I going to replace the trem block with a mannmade. Probably not stop there though.

I've ran into the string ball sticking issue and it's annoying and not understandable that it continues to be a problem given PRS's attention to overall quality efforts. This particular guitar is basically brand new. First time I restrung - no ball sticking, the next few times - it reared its' ugly head. At minimum, I going to replace the trem block with a mannmade. Probably not stop there though.

I own enough SE’s with trems to make a frickin’ teepee! And it’s the one bummer about the whole unit.

I’ve done enough swapping of parts to have come to the conclusion that an “upgrade” isn’t always an upgrade in tone.

I have to particular SE’s that I don’t want to change the block on, because I’ve already done it, and didn’t like it: an SE Orianthi and an SE EG that to my ears sound better with the stock block.

So I’ve resorted to burnishing/sanding the insides of the holes to varying degrees of success.

I mean, I realize it must cost a fortune to retool and/or redesign the block but... I really wish they would.

I own enough SE’s with trems to make a frickin’ teepee! And it’s the one bummer about the whole unit.

I’ve done enough swapping of parts to have come to the conclusion that an “upgrade” isn’t always an upgrade in tone.

I have to particular SE’s that I don’t want to change the block on, because I’ve already done it, and didn’t like it: an SE Orianthi and an SE EG that to my ears sound better with the stock block.

So I’ve resorted to burnishing/sanding the insides of the holes to varying degrees of success.

I mean, I realize it must cost a fortune to retool and/or redesign the block but... I really wish they would.

SE-pee!

And you said “burnishing....holes!”, giggle!

In regards to owning more SE's. I have to admit I would like one or two more flavors of those as well. Right now though, I running out of house space for the guitars I haven't resisted in the past. Must be strong, must be strong...

Potato chips are actually safer for me.
I get my hand caught in the Pringle’s can, slice my tongue on the edge of the bag trying to get every last crumb, or rub my glasses with oily fingers. Don’t even get me started on that one time I was eating them fry style, with ketchup, and then drank a bottle of vodka. I didn’t d have ketchup for a year.

I get my hand caught in the Pringle’s can, slice my tongue on the edge of the bag trying to get every last crumb, or rub my glasses with oily fingers. Don’t even get me started on that one time I was eating them fry style, with ketchup, and then drank a bottle of vodka. I didn’t d have ketchup for a year.

Haha! Those d@mn tomatoes!

One step closer :) PRS knobs are "out for delivery" today. Next I need to release my tight fist that's clinging to my $ and buy the 2000nos.

WacqUyal.jpg

Glad I came across this thread. I am upgrading my thin dinky zinc block in my MiM Strat with a CRS Callaham Block. And it sent me down a rabbit hole thinking about my SE Custom 24.

But like @sergiodeblanc said not all "upgrades" improve tone. And I don't really have an issue how it sounds. Guess I should practice the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mantra. Cheers.

Glad I came across this thread. I am upgrading my thin dinky zinc block in my MiM Strat with a CRS Callaham Block. And it sent me down a rabbit hole thinking about my SE Custom 24.

But like @sergiodeblanc said not all "upgrades" improve tone. And I don't really have an issue how it sounds. Guess I should practice the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mantra. Cheers.

I'm the OP of this thread and was on the fence for buying the NOS2000. My guitar sounded really good with the stock bridge. However I did cough up the dough and bought the NOS2000 and I'm very happy I did. That move changed the status of the guitar from a good playing / good sounding guitar to a much better playing and better sounding guitar. It is truly special now. I move a lot of guitars in and out, but this one now stays with a few other select guitars that will be sold after I'm gone. :)

Back