Mannmade Bridge thoughts - SE Cu 22 SemiHollow

For the benefit of this who may frequent our forum for information, the differences are so subtle that most folks wouldn't be able to tell in a blind test.

Also a stretch, but I love your optimism. I change almost all my tremolo's to 1-piece bridges but that's primarily because I like the original design. I do believe there *can* be a tonal difference but have never heard it on the many guitars I've 'upgraded'.

Respectfully, I think blanket comments like that might be misleading to those who don't know any better. SE guitars can be wonderful right out of the box for the life of the owner (or the guitar) whichever ends first. The truth is, we like to hot rod our guitars. Its a guitar guy thing to do. And SE's, being so affordable, offer us a great opportunity to make it our own without breaking the bank. Few are the SE upgrades that are necessary.

Just my opinion.
Well when you think about it, heavier material will make it more well girthy and heavier and something to keep tuning rock solid. I didn't build the PRS bridge so Paul would have to explain that to you but that's what I know so far

The truth is, we like to hot rod our guitars. Its a guitar guy thing to do. And SE's, being so affordable, offer us a great opportunity to make it our own without breaking the bank. Few are the SE upgrades that are necessary.

I tell my wife that my guitars and smoker grills are like the 69 chevelles of my youth. :)

Well when you think about it, heavier material will make it more well girthy and heavier and something to keep tuning rock solid. I didn't build the PRS bridge so Paul would have to explain that to you but that's what I know so far
I agree with you on this point. Hell, I continue to beg John to make me a Tungsten block (are you reading this, John?). I'm just pushing back a little on the "100X better" assertions. The differences are actual so subtle that very few could ever tell the difference (assuming the same set-up for both).

Peace to you. Welcome to the forum.

I agree with you on this point. Hell, I continue to beg John to make me Tungsten block. I'm just pushing back a little on the "100X better" assertions. The differences are actual so subtle that very few could ever tell the difference (assuming the same set-up for both).

Peace to you. Welcome to the forum.
Yea, I just go off what Paul says. Even though some of it is a bit of high assumptions, you can see where he is coming from in a scientific or physics perspective. Watch his ted talk about the perfect instrument and he makes a demonstration about nut's and how the material's will sound different, so he dropped a plastic nut, a bone, a bronze and so on. They all had tonal qualities to them and sounded different. But something like a bridge will make your guitar feel better. I had an ESP LTD MH 101 and it had a floyd rose special on it. Worst guitar purchase EVER. The bridge never held tuning and would just keep the strings popping out if you did a little dive bomb or pulled up. Something like that will be worse than a real floyd rose. Tonal quality? maybe not but who am I to know.

Yea, I just go off what Paul says. Even though some of it is a bit of high assumptions, you can see where he is coming from in a scientific or physics perspective. Watch his ted talk about the perfect instrument and he makes a demonstration about nut's and how the material's will sound different, so he dropped a plastic nut, a bone, a bronze and so on. They all had tonal qualities to them and sounded different. But something like a bridge will make your guitar feel better. I had an ESP LTD MH 101 and it had a floyd rose special on it. Worst guitar purchase EVER. The bridge never held tuning and would just keep the strings popping out if you did a little dive bomb or pulled up. Something like that will be worse than a real floyd rose. Tonal quality? maybe not but who am I to know.

Sounds like you got the PRS bug as bad as the rest of us. Kool Aid is yummy. Don't drink too much. ;)

46OJwlj.jpg
[/IMG]

They look like they're well built. If you wanna drop that kinda coin on a new bridge, it will make the instrument 100 times better. I would personally do that if I were you. It's heavier and denser material, unlike the SE bridges. They are hard, but not straight up hard steel like the american's. It will improve the tuning stability 10 fold. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, try and contact Shawn at PRS, he fixed my SE and did a great job with it. Best of luck to you!
Actually, it didn’t make the guitar 100 times better or improve the tuning stability. I have 5 SE’s with different bridges. The big things are a new nut, and locking tuners. Beyond that you’ll change the sound, but it’s not a night and day difference. The big question is always do you like the sound? Changing the bridge will change the tone. Keep in mind change does not mean better or worse, it means change. If you like the way a guitar sounds, don’t change it.

Actually, it didn’t make the guitar 100 times better or improve the tuning stability. I have 5 SE’s with different bridges. The big things are a new nut, and locking tuners. Beyond that you’ll change the sound, but it’s not a night and day difference. The big question is always do you like the sound? Changing the bridge will change the tone. Keep in mind change does not mean better or worse, it means change. If you like the way a guitar sounds, don’t change it.
Well obviously I should get a new nut for my SE. I already have the SE locking tuners. A new nut would be nice.

Have the nut professionally installed. Try Philtone Music in Baltimore. He used to work at the factory, and is a graduate of Roberto-Venn school of Lutherie.

Have the nut professionally installed. Try Philtone Music in Baltimore. He used to work at the factory, and is a graduate of Roberto-Venn school of Lutherie.
I've looked into Bay Tunes in Edgewater. 125 smackaroo's though, not willing to drop that kind of coin when I can get PRS to do it for free (they havent charged me the last two times)

If you can get them to do it for free............by the way, Phil does a lot of Baytunes work.

If you can get them to do it for free............by the way, Phil does a lot of Baytunes work.
Is he the tech on site for them? The strongest connection I have with Bay Tunes is with Jeff and he's great. The connection I have with PRS is Shawn and I am still waiting for a response from them.

...not willing to drop that kind of coin when I can get PRS to do it for free (they haven't charged me the last two times).

If I may offer some advice... don't let the generosity of others becomes an expectation.

hans would you please just listen to what paul is saying?

Right? Sheesh... ;)

Last edited:
Adding a visual to this thread - This is the SE Cu22 Semi I've offered up for discussion. As mentioned, still not finished - but it keeps getting better with each improvement. My quest with all my guitars is to try to milk every ounce of tone and playability out of it I can. My belief is what you're looking for in tone and playability is most times a few tweaks away from satisfaction rather than just keep buying more guitars and hoping they arrive the way you want it. Although I'm guilty of the latter at times. :)

46OJwlj.jpg

Adding a visual to this thread - This is the SE Cu22 Semi I've offered up for discussion. As mentioned, still not finished - but it keeps getting better with each improvement. My quest with all my guitars is to try to milk every ounce of tone and playability out of it I can. My belief is what you're looking for in tone and playability is most times a few tweaks away from satisfaction rather than just keep buying more guitars and hoping they arrive the way you want it. Although I'm guilty of the latter at times. :)

46OJwlj.jpg

You gotta replace those knobs with lampshades, they’re sucking the tone outta my eyes! :p

Back