Mann 2000NOS vs Wudtone DD bridges

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^ what he said... I have two Manns that replaced the Korean trems. Immediate tonal improvement, and depending on stickiness on Korean trem, can even be handling improvement. The arm is also beefier than the SE/S2 arm and seemingly the wudtone arm.

because, living in italy, the fees for shipment and custom are HUGE.. and the bridge is already quite expensive as it is....
It's intended for a santana SE... and I cannot think to spend half the value of the guitar only for the bridge......

if I live in the states it will be a no brainer

BTW I wrote again mann to the above email address yesterday but he didn't answer yet... so I think that unfortunately we are talking about intentions as it's already late to be shipped in time...

AceIT ---- I have NEVER received an email from you. Not sure why I am not getting yours, but I personally answer every email myself.
My direct email is [email protected] and also [email protected]
You can also telephone me direct at (603) 488-1912 (M-Sat 10am - 6pm EST)

I have several options for SE models, ranging from individual part upgrades, such as blocks and saddles to complete bridges.
More info here

as I say.. NO WAY I will spend more than 400 $ for a bridge that will go on a 800 $ guitar.
My friend's trip to the states was the occasion to have it at a fair ( even if expensive ) price...
Having no answer in a week from mann make the thing impossible.

Last edited:
nice to hear you john.
I wrote both by the contact form on mannmadeusa.com and at [email protected]

Ufortunately something seems went wrong.
I strongly want to try one of your bridge but, as I said, the shipment an custom fees are just TOO huge .. and my friend's trip to chicago was the right occasion.
He will be there till december 23 evening... but now I think we are out of time to try to organise any kind of shipment...
well.. sooner or later someone else.. or even myself .. will come to the States again.

;)

Last edited:
nice to hear you john.
I wrote both by the contact form on mannmadeusa.com and at [email protected]

Ufortunately something seems went wrong.
I strongly want to try one of your bridge but, as I said, the shipment an custom fees are just TOO huge .. and my friend's trip to chicago was the right occasion.
He will be there till december 23 evening... but now I think we are out of time to try to organise any kind of shipment...
well.. sooner or later someone else.. or even myself .. will come to the States again.

;)
You might try the SE upgrade block. That alone makes a significant difference for much less $$$ -More info here

John, it’s so good to see you having the same attitude toward your patrons as Paul does.

It’s great when you guys put a personal touch to something.

In the short time I’ve been a member of the forum, I’ve read several glowing reports of your 2000nos. Do you have a UK/Euro supplier for your products?

It’s subjective and also depends on your location.

Obviously for us guys in the U.K, a Wudtone is easier to source.

The tones on this video again are subjective.

In my opinion, the location of a pickup on a 24 fret only really has an effect if playing open strings. My 24 fret guitar sings, so as I’ve already said, it’s in the ears of the player.

Last edited:
I live in the UK so on one hand I’d like to support a local manufacturer and the Wudtone products have had some good reviews in respected magazines. On the other hand nearly all my PRS guitars have had the original John Mann Mil-Com trem on them and they’re works of art. I had an original 1985 Custom where the saddles had been changed out – the very early trems used very small set screws so it’s not uncommon. I sourced a set of re-issue saddles from John and fitted them and I felt that these alone improved the tone of the guitar. Aesthetically for me the Mann Made bridge wins hands down, although that’s obviously subjective. The Mann Made design also ‘locks’ the saddles and stops them moving laterally, which I don’t think the Wudtone bridge does. So if it was me I’d go Mann Made every time.

^^^ what he said... I have two Manns that replaced the Korean trems. Immediate tonal improvement, and depending on stickiness on Korean trem, can even be handling improvement. The arm is also beefier than the SE/S2 arm and seemingly the wudtone arm.

May be a misunderstanding in this comment as the Wudtone PRS DD upgrade employs a 5mm diameter stainless steel trem arm. In the pic below it appears to be slightly beefier than the trem arm of a core PRS bridge. PRS core bridge on the left , Wudtone on the right. The arm pictured is a 5 1/4 inch arm. Wudtone also offer 5 different lengths of arm, Short Gilmour to extra long 7 inch or a custom length of your choice.

prs-trem-arms.jpg

The angle of the arm in the block is also cut different to enable more dive. The arm is supported in a nylon bush but also has threads below into which it engages so to prevent it, shifting or coming out accidentally.

Last edited:
I live in the UK so on one hand I’d like to support a local manufacturer and the Wudtone products have had some good reviews in respected magazines. On the other hand nearly all my PRS guitars have had the original John Mann Mil-Com trem on them and they’re works of art. I had an original 1985 Custom where the saddles had been changed out – the very early trems used very small set screws so it’s not uncommon. I sourced a set of re-issue saddles from John and fitted them and I felt that these alone improved the tone of the guitar. Aesthetically for me the Mann Made bridge wins hands down, although that’s obviously subjective. The Mann Made design also ‘locks’ the saddles and stops them moving laterally, which I don’t think the Wudtone bridge does. So if it was me I’d go Mann Made every time.

The use of a deeper rear bar for the intonation screws and accurate fit ensures there is no lateral movement of saddles with the Wudtone PRS DD upgrade.

prsddreview.jpg

The Wudtone is a nice design... maybe even superior to the stock PRS or MannMade.

However, I think the Mann has the advantage in the materials used.
The Wudtone is made from cold steel with steel saddles (no different than the stock SE), whereas the 2000NOS is bronze with brass saddles.
You'll get a much better sound out of the MannMade unit.

I would recommend sending a message to John Mann, and ask about availability of the 2000NOS.
I just ordered one, a little over a week ago, and although it says 'out of stock' on their website - they shipped it the next day.

Just in case there is a misunderstanding here. Only the block of the Wudtone PRS DD Upgrade is made from 1018 cold steel ( a brass option is also available at no extra), the 1018 cold steel is the recommended option for max dynamic, detail and clarity. The bridge plate itself made from C75 H&T, carbon spring steel and this sits on a shim made from C420 H&T stainless spring steel. For saddles you have steel nickel, Ergo stainless or you can use existing stock PRS, as options.

Last edited:
Ok,has nothing to do with this discussion but....the wudtone bridgeplate for strats is amazing.It really works.

John, it’s so good to see you having the same attitude toward your patrons as Paul does.

It’s great when you guys put a personal touch to something.

In the short time I’ve been a member of the forum, I’ve read several glowing reports of your 2000nos. Do you have a UK/Euro supplier for your products?

Unfortunately, I have no UK suppliers at present time, but would be happy to setup a relationship with any reputable dealer/distributor. Please send them my way !

The use of a deeper rear bar for the intonation screws and accurate fit ensures there is no lateral movement of saddles with the Wudtone PRS DD upgrade.

prsddreview.jpg

When I look at this picture, the design looks like it has a lot of potential for lateral movement (which would constantly knock the guitar out of tune).
I've never tried a Wudtone, so I'm only basing this on observation of the HUGE picture you've posted... but I don't see how those saddles could stay solidly in place.

When I look at this picture, the design looks like it has a lot of potential for lateral movement (which would constantly knock the guitar out of tune).
I've never tried a Wudtone, so I'm only basing this on observation of the HUGE picture you've posted... but I don't see how those saddles could stay solidly in place.

Firstly thank you to @swede71 for the kind words. Wudtone have supplied thousands of tremolos over several years now to Strat players and delighted everyone on them with zero tuning issues whilst enhancing the dynamic efficiency of their guitars. Tuning is stable because the design deals with the real reasons the original vintage style strat bridges went out of tune. Lateral movement of saddles ( even if this ever happened in use ) was never actually one of them.

The saddles on the Wudtone PRS DD upgrade don't exhibit any lateral movement in use. This is due to the way the intonation screws are fixed in the rear bar and fine tolerances with which every element of the product is manufactured. kind regards

Unfortunately, I have no UK suppliers at present time, but would be happy to setup a relationship with any reputable dealer/distributor. Please send them my way !
I would love to put a distributor your way!

Maybe approach Lee Anderton (Andertons) he sells a lot of SE/Core models. I’m sure you could strike up a deal with him!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back