Man that MT15 just &!$$#$ me off!! ..... (rant)

the fillmore is in! here comes the ‘difficult second album’...

How about ostrich leather on one of my amps instead?

k8qAg9K.jpg

Or black calfskin; not sayin’ I got it to match my boots, but...

riScEjJ.jpg

Try the sonzera head, see if that does lower volume better, and use a pedal, friedman?

Victory amps out of the UK has some nice lunchbox size heads with multi watt versions down to 0.3 watts (22 to 0.3 or 40 to 2). Course I was listening to the profiles Rabea made of them for the toaster ;)

Victory amps out of the UK has some nice lunchbox size heads with multi watt versions down to 0.3 watts (22 to 0.3 or 40 to 2). Course I was listening to the profiles Rabea made of them for the toaster ;)

Them and Engl have that concept right, too bad both are twice the price of an MT, plus the MT sounds just as good if not better.

Gotta break some eggs to make an omelette.

.... So..... you're suggesting I should buy an MT15, "break" it open, find a way to put in a 1w power supply?,.... and see how it tastes?. Wow:), that's a great idea Les!!!

.... Too bad I'm an electronics homo erectus.:(

I have something of relevance for you, Mr. H. When Bodia told me about the ATMA, he mentioned the 1 watt mode for quiet playing, etc. The two times I turned it into 1 watt mode, it sounded TINY, small, compressed... and I was NOT impressed. It occured to me last night, that I really hadn't played with it much. Flipped it there, didn't like it, flipped it back.

So last night I decided to explore a little more. ATMA>1x12 Thiele/EM12. This time, I dimed both channels and flipped it to 1 watt mode. The clean channel is dialed up closer to tweed type tone. The gain channel in 80s mode. This sounded MUCH better than when I tried it with the volume down, but was a bit much on both channels. I turned the clean and gain channels down to about 3:00 on the volume knobs. While clean is tweedy, compressed, etc., it was not bad. Hit it with a variety of boosts/OD's to quickly test it. SHO clone- nice, Timmy-nice, Gain Changer and Zen, really nice, Amp 11 - really nice. Overall, didn't love it. The 5 watt mode kills it for cleans, IMO even dialed to the same volume levels.

Switched to gain channel. Much better. Compressed as you'd expect, but louder than most would think. I enjoyed this much more than the previous times. Opening it up made it sound much better.

Dialed both channels back to noon. Now the clean has lost any punch and needs an OD or Boost to wake it up. The OD channel sounded good but back to being a "smaller" sound. And then... I flipped it back to 5 watt mode. The clean channel now sang. Hitting it with any boost or OD was just different flavors of great. OD channel... SMOKES! I could live here, happily. Then I switched to the Zbest cab. Now even the 5 watt mode sounded big and just great. OH, and I quickly had to turn even the 5 watt mode down to about 10:00 because it was way loud for home at noon. At 10:00 it was still loud, but I can get away with that for a little while.

I love this amp. I love the tones. I love the 18 watt/5 watt capability. The 1 watt is ok, but no longer "great" IMO. Even at toned down volume levels, the 5 watt mode sounds better. This alone has at least helped with my gas for... another TA15. If I didn't have this amp I would have had to have another TA15 already. I still want one, but this amp allows me to have great cleans and killer gain channel tones at 18 watts and 5 watts SE. If I were wanting something for low volume home playing that was a tube amp and could also be used to gig, for a G get an ATMA for half a G get a TA15. For a G and a half, get both. As much as I'd like an MT15 (and I'll probably have one before long) I think these are both better solutions for even medium volume playing.

I have something of relevance for you, Mr. H. When Bodia told me about the ATMA, he mentioned the 1 watt mode for quiet playing, etc. The two times I turned it into 1 watt mode, it sounded TINY, small, compressed... and I was NOT impressed. It occured to me last night, that I really hadn't played with it much. Flipped it there, didn't like it, flipped it back.

So last night I decided to explore a little more. ATMA>1x12 Thiele/EM12. This time, I dimed both channels and flipped it to 1 watt mode. The clean channel is dialed up closer to tweed type tone. The gain channel in 80s mode. This sounded MUCH better than when I tried it with the volume down, but was a bit much on both channels. I turned the clean and gain channels down to about 3:00 on the volume knobs. While clean is tweedy, compressed, etc., it was not bad. Hit it with a variety of boosts/OD's to quickly test it. SHO clone- nice, Timmy-nice, Gain Changer and Zen, really nice, Amp 11 - really nice. Overall, didn't love it. The 5 watt mode kills it for cleans, IMO even dialed to the same volume levels.

Switched to gain channel. Much better. Compressed as you'd expect, but louder than most would think. I enjoyed this much more than the previous times. Opening it up made it sound much better.

Dialed both channels back to noon. Now the clean has lost any punch and needs an OD or Boost to wake it up. The OD channel sounded good but back to being a "smaller" sound. And then... I flipped it back to 5 watt mode. The clean channel now sang. Hitting it with any boost or OD was just different flavors of great. OD channel... SMOKES! I could live here, happily. Then I switched to the Zbest cab. Now even the 5 watt mode sounded big and just great. OH, and I quickly had to turn even the 5 watt mode down to about 10:00 because it was way loud for home at noon. At 10:00 it was still loud, but I can get away with that for a little while.

I love this amp. I love the tones. I love the 18 watt/5 watt capability. The 1 watt is ok, but no longer "great" IMO. Even at toned down volume levels, the 5 watt mode sounds better. This alone has at least helped with my gas for... another TA15. If I didn't have this amp I would have had to have another TA15 already. I still want one, but this amp allows me to have great cleans and killer gain channel tones at 18 watts and 5 watts SE. If I were wanting something for low volume home playing that was a tube amp and could also be used to gig, for a G get an ATMA for half a G get a TA15. For a G and a half, get both. As much as I'd like an MT15 (and I'll probably have one before long) I think these are both better solutions for even medium volume playing.

Good one, that's a unit I hadn't stumbled across yet, listened to some clips, sounded good. It's in the same price range like the Mesa mini, Engl, and Victory so that mainly fans the flames that the MT sounds as good at half the price ......... ....... just no low watt setting. :(

Because I've been on an amp quest lately I've had some time to fart around with 1w & 2W settings, it definitely is tricky to dial in with so little headroom but it can be done and it sounds a whole lot better than squeezing a 50w thru an attenuator.

At least it gives me another unit on my list to try out and look for deals on.

.... So..... you're suggesting I should buy an MT15, "break" it open, find a way to put in a 1w power supply?,.... and see how it tastes?. Wow:), that's a great idea Les!!!

.... Too bad I'm an electronics homo erectus.:(

Well, actually, I was thinking ‘break the piggy bank’. But you know, I’m no paleontologist.

Well, actually, I was thinking ‘break the piggy bank’. But you know, I’m no paleontologist.

sxvtEZf.jpg

Well you don't have to be Dr Leakey to know I'm a knuckle dragger when it comes to amp mods, and spending more than I want for something I won't use that much is still in the Cro-Magnon zone.

Besides..... .... I already cracked the swine looking money depository last week .... I had enough for a pack of strings and a patch cord.:oops:

For the life of me, I can't figure out why they didn't put a F-ing master volume knob on the blasted thing.

Back