Man that MT15 just &!$$#$ me off!! ..... (rant)

I've been biting my lip the entire thread. I wanted to scream that WAY back on page 1!
It is the best sounding and most cost effective way to play at low volumes. I'll be playing for probably 1500 people this weekend a with a full orchestra. I'll be playing PRS CU24>AA3>QSC CP8 and direct to house. Heard it last week through the mains at practice, and it was great. But I also played it at home last night after everyone else was in bed asleep.

How about something from Hughes and Kettner?
18/5/1 watt

This, in concept, power switch wise is what I think is more useful. I spent some time with one when they came out, the 1w & 5w modes were very useful and easy to control. Only took me a minute to dial in a workable tone at low volume, I just wasn't deeply in love with the sound.

...... and I think that neon lighting would get tiresome after a while.:p

It is the best sounding and most cost effective way to play at low volumes. I'll be playing for probably 1500 people this weekend a with a full orchestra. I'll be playing PRS CU24>AA3>QSC CP8 and direct to house. Heard it last week through the mains at practice, and it was great. But I also played it at home last night after everyone else was in bed asleep.

If it doesn't push a 2x12 it's no use to me, only an upgrade from the "bean".o_O

I got a Rivera Rockcrusher Recording, and it has all the controls you'd ever need.

*All talk of attenuators is prohibited from this thread*

I sold mine a couple months ago, did not like what it did to my sound. It squashed the tone, took away the attack, and made my Recto sound like an old SS Randall head.

Maybe it might work better on taming an HT 15 at half power instead of squashing a 50w recto down to bedroom levels like I was trying to do:p, but I'm still leery of going that route again.

Ok, your cheapest, best, most effective way to get something good, usable, and with a great 5 watt mode....

Mesa TA15.

5w isn't that far off from 7.5w so no real advantage over the HT there, they sound great too though. Price used is about the same also.

Like I said, I know when I've been defeated. :( Like it wasn't meant for me to own a SLO100 in my lifetime, or be in a cover band good enough to pull off a decent "Hot for Teacher", the HT I have to pass on right now. Engl & H&K had the right idea with the power switching, Engl's ain't cheap and H&K.... ... I think I'd get tired of the Blade Runner look.:p

I even looked into having a 1w tube power supply using an undersized tube that could be installed into any amp of choice and the cost of such a mod would be beyond $$ anything I want to do right now. (It's been done though, and works well from what I've heard)

Read something about a guy taking a Blackstar 1w head and modding it to make it sound better, if I ever see one used for peanuts I might snag it just for a project.

*All talk of attenuators is prohibited from this thread*

I sold mine a couple months ago, did not like what it did to my sound. It squashed the tone, took away the attack, and made my Recto sound like an old SS Randall head.

Maybe it might work better on taming an HT 15 at half power instead of squashing a 50w recto down to bedroom levels like I was trying to do:p, but I'm still leery of going that route again.
Kemper then.
I don't know how else to help, so I guess I should just shaddap!:p

the kemper just doesn’t look fun to me. maybe because it looks like a budget oscilloscope.

I agree, I just gotta have knobs to turn instead of buttons to push, it's too much like a computer, or medical device.

I did A/B it with a Diezel tho........ the difference was laughable. Sure it sounds a lot better than my stoopid ol Pod, but I just don't have the time, patience, or finger cartilage for all that programming.

Too bad I can't use my dictation software on it like I do here.:D

I agree, I just gotta have knobs to turn instead of buttons to push, it's too much like a computer, or medical device.

I did A/B it with a Diezel tho........ the difference was laughable. Sure it sounds a lot better than my stoopid ol Pod, but I just don't have the time, patience, or finger cartilage for all that programming.

Too bad I can't use my dictation software on it like I do here.:D
Lol!
Impossible to argue with your experience.
Mine however is vastly different.
That's OK. I want you to find what you want.

5w isn't that far off from 7.5w so no real advantage over the HT there, they sound great too though. Price used is about the same also.

I have not played an MT15. But... you and others have said the MT15 half over mode is still really loud on the gain channel. The TA 15 offers small glass/iron, and a true 1 EL84 SE power stage and then, 4 different amps plus two versions of one of them, AND a great master! Trust me, it’s EASILY tamed no matter which amp type you’ve chosen.

Of all the amps I’ve moved, it’s the one I most wish I had back. SO many tones at so many volume levels.

Reactions: jxe
“Les, what would you do if you were in Huggy’s shoes?”

“I’d probably swap them for cowboy boots, unless Huggy wears really nice cowboy boots.”

“We’re not talking cowboy boots.”

“That’s probably a good thing, ‘cause I’m not walking in someone else’s Justins or Tecovas. I gotta have the high priced spread.”

“OK, I get it. Fine. We’re talking amps.”

“Oh, OK. Amps. What would I do? I’d accept the fact that a multi-watt head that sounds great, has a wide variety of gain and volume choices on tap, and has a nice handle, is going to cost more than Huggy’s budget, and is going to weigh more than what he wants. But I’d just pay the piper and be done with it.”

“Who’s the piper?”

“Gretz. Gretz is the piper. When do I get the boots?”

“Les, what would you do if you were in Huggy’s shoes?”

“I’d probably swap them for cowboy boots, unless Huggy wears really nice cowboy boots.”

“We’re not talking cowboy boots.”

“That’s probably a good thing, ‘cause I’m not walking in someone else’s Justins or Tecovas. I gotta have the high priced spread.”

“OK, I get it. Fine. We’re talking amps.”

“Oh, OK. Amps. What would I do? I’d accept the fact that a multi-watt head that sounds great, has a wide variety of gain and volume choices on tap, and has a nice handle, is going to cost more than Huggy’s budget, and is going to weigh more than what he wants. But I’d just pay the piper and be done with it.”

“Who’s the piper?”

“Gretz. Gretz is the piper. When do I get the boots?”

Gretz?!! ....... are you calling me retarded in yiddish or something?:mad:

The only thing stoopid is saying Huggy and pointy toed gator skin boots in the same sentence. WTF U smokin' mayne?!! Not only does Huggy not gets down like dat in a fashion sense, but the shape alone would send these old tootsies to bunionland.

Prlk6yB.gif

........ besides, ...... I still may have options somewhere, somehow amp wise (mod project, used something) .....
I'm Huggy, I'm like the Phoenix..

If it's literally just some noodling around the house and out in the garden during the summer, you could do a lot worse than a Yamaha thr10. They sound pretty good, specially at low volumes, don't have lots of options (mostly standard amp dials in top) and can run for a decent amount of time on batteries. They take od pedals pretty well in the front too. I often use a klon and king of Tone clones into the front for decent results

Gretz?!! ....... are you calling me retarded in yiddish or something?:mad:

Huh? Jack Gretz is, you know, my PRS dealer!

The only thing stoopid is saying Huggy and pointy toed gator skin boots in the same sentence.

Aw man, on a good pair of boots, your toes end before they reach the pointy part! See, mine are wide where they need to be wide. The pointy part’s just decor. ;)

KU1bRax.jpg

Huh? Jack Gretz is, you know, my PRS dealer!

Aw man, on a good pair of boots, your toes end before they reach the pointy part! See, mine are wide where they need to be wide. The pointy part’s just decor. ;)

KU1bRax.jpg

Well it's bad enough that you insinuate that Huggy is gonna be waking around rocking some countryboy clodhoppers, but you come at it with some plain jane kinda stuff?!!

C'mon Lester!!! Stop halfsteppin'!!!

7Qv3Hkt.jpg

Now if you had came correct like dat, I mighta respected you on it.

How about ostrich leather on one of my amps instead?

k8qAg9K.jpg

Or black calfskin; not sayin’ I got it to match my boots, but...

riScEjJ.jpg

Last edited:
Back