Man, I love those birds

It has been years since I put a strap guitar but yes, it is a different experience and I would struggle to do it standing up now. I don't really care much for the birds or anything else that is not concentric for the markers. I certainly do appreciate their artistic merit and the work involved to create them but for me I like my boards simple. Just how I am I guess. An oddity. When I was younger I was the only one who could march in time.

This is why I wear my guitar relatively high on a strap, so my positioning is about the same standing or sitting.

I was anti-birds for a long time, but finally caved and got a set with my 594. I have to admit they're awful pretty. Although I still would've bought one with moons or dots instead, if that had been an option.

Since I play in a cover band, I have to "really" learn the song standing up otherwise my mechanics are off and it takes time to relearn. However, when I running through new material and making mental notes, I practice sitting down.

And yes, those birds sure are pretty! But I also like dots, moons, crowns, and squares....even nothing at all.

Thats why its fun to be in a punk band, that is also why its not fun to be in a progressive metal band. One of my favorite players of all time outlines the strap issue pretty well in this video:

"You will definitely not pull any chicks like this"

Back