Making Me Some Backplates...

Which method should I attempt?

• Match the front!

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Match the back!

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters

prs19

So I've been inspired recently due to a few things. First and foremost, the Paul's weekly guitar talk just makes me wish I had 1/10 of 1% of the talent that the artists at PRS do. Second, a recent post about someone buying some custom backplates. Finally, I just bought a used 408 from Brian's Guitars and the electronics cover was signed by PRSh. What does all this add up to? I'm going to try and make my own custom back plates for this guitar. I also picked up a WL 24-08. Now, I'm trying to figure out which approach would be best. See the poll in this thread to provide your suggestion.

The guitars:
2cl8iRw.jpg

NVwQEVQ.jpg

EfjkVMH.jpg

tjwruZf.jpg

The backplates:
iUaZHKP.jpg

6ucNQ8w.jpg

Which version should I attempt? Use the poll above. Thanks!

Last edited:
Match the back and try to have the grain of the cover to run the same direction.

My first two guitars had the back plates replaced, but I didn't get the chance to request this, they were 'generic' off the web. My third set for the DGT should be a closer grain match(since I sent the maker a picture of the back). I'll post once they are installed.

Last edited:
Looks like matching backs is the consensus. Will post the results at a later date. Will probably take me a few tries to get something I'm happy with. I'm most nervous about the grain fill step as I've never done this.

Match the back and try to have the grain of the cover to run the same direction.

My first two guitars had the back plates replaced, but I didn't get the chance to request this, they were 'generic' off the web. My third set for the DGT should be a closer grain match(since I sent the maker a picture of the back). I'll post once they are installed.

The ash is going to be the hardest to match grain on. I did orient the grain to match the direction of grain on the guitar before cutting on the CNC. Mahogany should be close though. We'll see!

Got the first backplate for the 408 all sanded down to target thickness before adding dye, sanding sealer, grain fill, and topcoats. Looks like I'm going to have to Burst it slightly to get a smooth transition if I stay with matching mahogany.

Going to do some sample stains and bursts on scrap first.

TMB1k9Q.jpg

EGI9wvD.jpg

Back