Making A Dream Come True

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
No musical content, but...

Over the years, everyone in my family has gotten a chance to get a picture with a very special item. Everyone - except my daughter. Who's been very vocal about missing out.

But one of the rewards for being a parent is that every now and then you get to make one of your kid's dream come true. Even if she is an adult and has moved away.

Snapshot_2017-07-06_09-53-59.jpg

And yeah - damn right I took advantage again.

Snapshot_2017-07-06_09-54-21.jpg

No Phil Pritchard this time around, but I can live with that.

Just awesome! A great family moment.
Don't get too comfortable though, the cup will move west in 2018;)

No musical content, but...

Over the years, everyone in my family has gotten a chance to get a picture with a very special item. Everyone - except my daughter. Who's been very vocal about missing out.

But one of the rewards for being a parent is that every now and then you get to make one of your kid's dream come true. Even if she is an adult and has moved away.

Snapshot_2017-07-06_09-53-59.jpg

And yeah - damn right I took advantage again.

Snapshot_2017-07-06_09-54-21.jpg

No Phil Pritchard this time around, but I can live with that.
No throwing it in the pool. That is reserved for Sidney.

Nice job pops! That's a very cool pic! Way to make some memories!

Just awesome! A great family moment.
Don't get too comfortable though, the cup will move west in 2018;)

Just as far west as Chicago though! :D

That's fantastic!!!

I grew up in Pittsburgh, and spent the first 22 years of my life there. Although I now cheer for the Wild, I still root strongly for the Penguins. Great to see them win it Yet Again!

Funny, but I just finished reading my e-mail this morning. This included a message from my mother in law, containing a picture of my 2 nephews with the cup!

Directly afterward, I stumbled upon your thread. Brilliant!

I'm also very glad you were able to finally do this for your daughter. Great dad!

Kevin

That's fantastic!!!

I grew up in Pittsburgh, and spent the first 22 years of my life there. Although I now cheer for the Wild, I still root strongly for the Penguins. Great to see them win it Yet Again!

Funny, but I just finished reading my e-mail this morning. This included a message from my mother in law, containing a picture of my 2 nephews with the cup!

Directly afterward, I stumbled upon your thread. Brilliant!

I'm also very glad you were able to finally do this for your daughter. Great dad!

Kevin

It was pretty cool. I think last year was the first year they did it. My wife's cousin had their day today, and a friend of my daughter went yesterday in the second session. She texted my daughter while we were there, and Kate told her they route the trip through the Pens locker room, and she just said, "WHAATTT???" Apparently that was new.

When the NHL had their traveling display here in February, my son and I went and got our picture with the Cup. The NHL people are extremely cool to deal with (I've had a couple chances to chat with Phil Pritchard, one of the keepers of the Cup, and they couldn't have a better representative than that guy). Right after we got our pictures, a girl in a wheelchair rolled up to the Cup. One of the NHL folks took her picture, then another one said, "Wait a second," walked over and placed the Cup in her lap. Still gives me chills. Shortly after her, a guy in chair came up, took his position next to the Cup, then called his friend over. I thought he wanted him in the picture with him - nope. He told his friend to take the wheelchair away and struggled to his feet in two leg braces so he could have his picture standing with the Cup.

This was my fourth or fifth time - it never gets old.

Cool. Back in '89, I was in Cold Lake, Alberta, Canada for a military exercise called "Maple Flag". One day, I was into a club and hockey was being shown. Without thinking, I blurt out..."That hockey **** again"! The whole place went quiet.

Cool. Back in '89, I was in Cold Lake, Alberta, Canada for a military exercise called "Maple Flag". One day, I was into a club and hockey was being shown. Without thinking, I blurt out..."That hockey **** again"! The whole place went quiet.
hah! I bet you got a bunch of intense stares! And then everyone took a gulp of beer and went back to watching the game.

I've been to CFB Cold Lake a bunch of times for work (CF-18 training systems stuff), including a couple visits that coincided with Maple Flag (Canadian equivalent of Red Flag - multi-national air combat exercises and competitions). I remember standing at the end of the runway and watching all kinds of planes take off continuously for about 45 minutes, no more than 30 sec separation, often in groups of two or three for fighters.

Try to get a hotel room during Maple Flag, though - we stayed in Bonnyville one time!

Back